Focal or not Focal? Help with deciding on a setup

Sorry to repeat the same question and ask questions that may seem so simple to you guys. I really appreciate all of the info. So would the ID ctx be what you think I should go with over the focal 165as considering that I don't want overly bright highs? Any other recommendations on components around the price range of those 2 sets? Also I would like to know which of those 2 provide more or better mid bass. Are there any other differences between the two besides the focals having brighter highs? Thanks again

Sorry to repeat the same question and ask questions that may seem so simple to you guys. I really appreciate all of the info. So would the ID ctx be what you think I should go with over the focal 165as considering that I don't want overly bright highs? Any other recommendations on components around the price range of those 2 sets? Also I would like to know which of those 2 provide more or better mid bass. Are there any other differences between the two besides the focals having brighter highs? Thanks again
Yes, the Morel Virtus 2-way. I'm a Morel fan and would recommend those over the Focals. I don't think either the ID or the particular Focals you have mentioned are in the same league. The Morel speakers should cost you well below 500$ mark If you contact a distributor directly and you can use the remaining money for a nice clean 4 channel amplifier.

However, as others have said you need to Improve your HU and make sure your amplifier will be providing clean power to whatever speakers you decide upon.

Would you not recommend the ID cxs64 v2 chameleons over those morels, the ID ctx, and the focal 165as? I'm really trying to know the differences in sound/quality between all of them and come to a decision. Thanks so much

Also curious if anyone can tell me the sound differences between the focal 165as and the focal ps165v1. I see that they are basically the same price on crutchfield and I'm curious which set is actually even better between them. Sorry for the noob questions //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif

I'd go with ID or morel(if you have the cash) skip the focals completely. They are extremely bright imo and lack midbass.

Would you not recommend the ID cxs64 v2 chameleons over those morels, the ID ctx, and the focal 165as? I'm really trying to know the differences in sound/quality between all of them and come to a decision. Thanks so much
I don't know much about those IDs.

As Jeff said if you can afford the Morels go with them or else something else. I've never heard anyone dislike Morel drivers. On the other hand I've come across people often who complain about focals being too bright.

Would you guys recommend the ID cxs chameleons over the ID ctx series? What would anyone that knows say are the main differences between those sets (the cxs and the ctx) in terms of they way they sound and the quality?

Also what is the opinion on the pg x100.2 xenon series amp? Would that be a good choice to power something like the ID cxs?
Good choices. Either way, you'll need some room in your budget for proper deadening/turning your door into a proper speaker enclosure if you want midbass out of any speaker.

Good choices. Either way, you'll need some room in your budget for proper deadening/turning your door into a proper speaker enclosure if you want midbass out of any speaker.
I do definitely plan on deadening to get actual good sound quality. So I've pretty much narrowed it down to the ID cxs and the morel tempo ultra. I would like to know the differences between them in terms of how they sound different from each other as well as which would be suggested and why. I would also like to get some more ideas of high quality amps that would power the given speakers appropriately. Don't worry about budget and please do list more than one amp that you might recommend. Thanks soooo much for all of the help!

I'd say get the morels if you can. The sound signature is a bit smoother from what i've demo'd. The CXS can get louder and still sound pretty darn good, either way you'll be happy with either choice.

zapco, linear power, sinfoni, audison, hertz, helix, brax, audiosystem, mosconi, zuki, zed, are some the upper escelons and the more affordable but still pretty darn good quality channels are from SoundSolutionsAudio's Online car audio store! Best prices, products and customer service. Fast shipping to US, Canada and More!! Then there's the mainstream JL slash 450.4, rockford t 600.4, alpine pdx, and jbl amps.

Then you got the budget tier stuff like ppi amps.

Just to give you a sample of what no budget looks like... one is used price.... watch your words carefully lol..

http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/car-audio-classifieds/107683-fs-sinfoni-120-4-4channel-amp-uber-rare.html

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-0TlZzWmkr9H/p_875X24002B/Brax-X2400-2-Black.html

It floors me that 15 years ago people got amazing sq without all the processing that some people seem to think is required today. Besides that, if your main audio source is an ipod, you dont need a super sq headunit with 90million adjustments you dont know (and dont care) how to work. Some people are wasting your time and potentially money with all this stuff. Brother, you have a jl in a prefab box. Not downing it, i bet you thorougly enjoy it and thats great! But lets be realistic and honest with your wants and needs. You seem to want rear speakers. Are they NEEDED, or are you missing a bunch of volume without them? Nah, not really. However, you certianly have the option of fading them out, if you decide you would prefer to if you ultimately decide you dont need em. Another thing ive seen done is running only a set of mids in the rear (attunuated). Never done it myself, just throwing it out there. Speakers are a pretty personal choice, and id REALLY recommend listening to em if at all possible, but i will say, even though im a HUGE focal fan, qnd own several of their products, the lower end stuff hasnt impressed me. Ive not shopped in your price range, so id be hesitant to throw names out there, but i wish you luck, and hope ive been some small measure of help.

I don't know much about those IDs.As Jeff said if you can afford the Morels go with them or else something else. I've never heard anyone dislike Morel drivers. On the other hand I've come across people often who complain about focals being too bright.
Papermaker on this forum doesmt seem to be a fan of morels, i dontdislike them,but id personally taje the id's over the morel or the focal drivers ,based on hearing choices in person.

Papermaker on this forum doesmt seem to be a fan of morels, i dontdislike them,but id personally taje the id's over the morel or the focal drivers ,based on hearing choices in person.
If you yourself have heard the available choices in person and like one over the other then by all means go with what you like.

That's all that matters : ).

Last edited by a moderator:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.