Anyone listened to Hertz and Focal three way Comps?

DeruDog

UK
I am considering Focal PS165F3 "Flax" components and the Hertz HSK 163. Has anyone listened to these and have some opinions on SQ? I listen to mostly rock, blues, and acoustic music. The comp system would be backed up with a 10" subwoofer, and coaxials in the back. Powered by a 120W RMS 4-way amp, so using the passive crossovers that come with each system.

I just don't like the focal tweetersThe highend Hertz is a nice set. For the money I like cdt and dynaudio and helix..
scanspeaks should be on your list of drivers to try out if you like running active.

OP, hertz hsk XLs can get very loud to keep up with a 150 db substage while maintaining decent clarity with ample power. However they arent the best i've heard SQ wise.

I hear they are nice.. I don't even have a system right now. Lol. I bought a g37 and I'm modding it a lil here and there. Kinda got out of music but I'm about ready to get a blazer and get a system..

while the high-energy isn't the best, it's as good as any in the same price range and my preference.

double your budget and you get really good SQ also.

i've heard several 3-way Hertz systems and they were all nice. install will always matter and implementation will determine success.

i'm not a fan of the lower-end Focal systems. above a grand they get really nice.

This set is $2k +

9bc34b7c0ffb9ddd0b2df5559fd9649a.jpg

0950a3e22d51a54e568a9a3923a2ce8b.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

My 2-way comps are $1150.
Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
what can i say, just cant justify that price tag at this point in my life. are we talking about significant gains in SQ at that price, or are we in the land of diminishing returns because the install is almost as good as it can get?

what can i say, just cant justify that price tag at this point in my life. are we talking about significant gains in SQ at that price, or are we in the land of diminishing returns because the install is almost as good as it can get?
HUGE gains are made once the install, source, and amplification are up to par. My amps always cost more than my speakers... further increasing the investment. Amps are much more complicated. And my install is worth >5x the value of anything (if you consider hourly rate and time).

this is what i ran before moving to Hertz Mille, they were around $700 new.

German Maestro Status SV6509 6.5" Set

as speaker quality increases, so does how natural the reproduction is. cheaper speakers add "coloration". the Mille are unlike any other speaker i've heard, incredibly natural and they lack midrange distortion common with many speakers (including high-energy).

but you need good amplification and a clean source to really let speakers shine. when powered by the stock headunit in my 2014 Accord, the Mille were awful... as would anything be.

one thing i noticed recently; there is a noticeable difference switching between analog and digital (fiber optic) as the source feeding my processor. my HU let's me do an A/B comparision with no delay between. with fiber optic, the soundstage increases in height, width, and improves overall. i suspect the improvement is partially due to better channel separation and cleaner high-frequency response.

many factors contribute to the overall performance of a sound system and the weakest link is the limiting factor.

having a poor source means that distortion is amplified before going to speakers. poor amplification can ruin an otherwise good source or speaker. the speaker's job is to faithfully reproduce what comes in. the installs job is to prevent the listener from hearing anything other than the direct output from the front of the cone (minimizing sound from the rear of the cone and harsh reflections in the listening space).

when you want high quality at mid quality pricing, buy used. you can usually get speakers for 30%-50% of their retail price when buying used.

HUGE gains are made once the install, source, and amplification are up to par. My amps always cost more than my speakers... further increasing the investment. Amps are much more complicated. And my install is worth >5x the value of anything (if you consider hourly rate and time).
this is what i ran before moving to Hertz Mille, they were around $700 new.

German Maestro Status SV6509 6.5" Set

as speaker quality increases, so does how natural the reproduction is. cheaper speakers add "coloration". the Mille are unlike any other speaker i've heard, incredibly natural and they lack midrange distortion common with many speakers (including high-energy).

but you need good amplification and a clean source to really let speakers shine. when powered by the stock headunit in my 2014 Accord, the Mille were awful... as would anything be.

there is a noticeable difference switching between analog and digital (fiber optic) as the source feeding my processor. my HU let's me do an A/B comparision with no delay between. with fiber optic, the soundstage increases in height, width, and improves overall. i suspect the improvement is partially due to better channel separation and cleaner high-frequency response.

when you want high quality at mid quality pricing, buy used. you can usually get speakers for 30%-50% of their retail price when buying used.
sounds like it goes back to the fundamentals, without a proper install and high quality signal source for your speakers, your money is really better spent on giving low quality speakers a nice environment and signal vs giving high quality speakers a terrible environment and source.

when i have ten grand to invest i'll look at the milles, until then it's merely a discussion for many of us lol

i had several systems before where the speakers were the least expensive component. i focused all of my effort on installation and amplifier quality. i had very good results.

my systems are built over several years, one piece at a time. the newer car was built at once because i had collected the pieces previously.

i say start with install, >100 hours is a good start.

get a clean source and great amplification. get the speakers you can afford that match the installation and aiming/position. consider off-axis response and airspace.

subs get 10% of my attention and effort. they are important but easy to get right.

once everything else is great, work up to nicer speakers and enjoy the benefits.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.