Focal or not Focal? Help with deciding on a setup

How's it going everyone?

For starters I would like to point out that I am a complete noob when it comes to car audio. I haven't gotten a real chance to hear many higher end speakers, let alone be able to hear all of the different brands that I've heard about researching online.

As of right now I have a jl 12w6v2 in the JL high output ported box as well as the JL HD750/1 amp. Those were installed in my old car about 3 years ago as my first aftermarket car audio experience, but then my transmission went up and I had to get my 06 accord. That was 2 years ago and I am FINALLY getting around to wanting an upgrade for my stock system in the car.

I plan on installing that same sub and amp that have been laying around, but I am interested in actually having a somewhat respectable sound system this time around. I've been trying to decide on an above average set of 6.5" components for the front as well as a pair of either 6.5" or 6x9s for the rear deck. I am also under the impression that amping both of those sets is a good idea and I would be more than willing to do that.

Now for the problem (finally) I have absolutely no idea which speakers or amp would be the best in terms of blending well with the 12w6 in the h.o. box (or just be good quality in general). The speakers I would buy right now if I were to go with my gut are the focal performance 165AS or the focal ps 165v1 in terms of components. I am however having some trouble finding a set of speakers for the rear deck that have hard dome tweeters like those focals seem to and I'm pretty sure that I should be trying to get ones that do (correct me if i'm wrong). I also just have no idea if those speakers are considered very nice speakers OR if they would go well with my sub setup.

Tldr-looking for help deciding on a set of components for the front, a set of 6.5s(or 6x9s) for the rear, and an amp to power them that will sound somewhat amazing with the JL12w6v2 in the JL h.o. box powered by the HD 750/1 that I already have. My starting point as of right now without any outside input are the focal performance 165as components.

BUDGET IS 500-800 DOLLARS

Sorry that I got extremely carried away with the length of the post and thank you so much for any and all input!

I wouldn't care too much about rear speakers. You'll want time alignment and good 13 band or higher Equalization if you want a smooth blend from your sub woofer to your speakers. What do you have for a source? Head unit or digital sound processor? Just telling you now, results will be pretty bad with just a stock head unit and a line output converter. Or some cheap head unit with limited audio capabilities.

Focals are pretty bright with the tweeters but they can be controlled with EQ

Image dynamics CTX speakers are also good and they sound warm but can also be brought out with EQ

Time alignment will basically turn just normal stereo sound into a full on concert on your dashboard when tuned right where you can discern each instrument with the vocalist dead center.

The pattern here all consists of EQ, tuning and Install quality. You'll also want to turn your vehicle door into a speaker enclosure by sealing off all the gaps. This helps bring out the midrange and midbass which allows for better blend from sub to door speakers creating a better soundstage where the subwoofers feel in front instead of behind you.

Knew I would forget to mention something -_- I have a pioneer DEH-7300BT head unit
yea... thats gonna be a complete crutch thats gonna limit any form of sound quality for your setup. You'll want to upgrade head units ASAP. Skip rear speakers completely and use that part of the budget for a proper sound quality head unit like a pioneer 80 prs. Head units make the biggest difference in sound quality and you will be going from something thats extremely bare bones and pretty low end on the SQ scale (to be honest) to an audiophile level head unit. In a proper SQ vehicle most of the times they dont even have rear speakers because it ruins the soundstage. Just keep your rear deck speakers but amp them. Stock speakers can handle a lot of power and sound significantly better when you put a high pass filter on them.

Wow I didn't even realize that my unit was considered to be such low quality. May I ask what would actually be the best way to go about playing and iPod through that head unit considering that it doesn't have a usb output on the front of it as my hu does? Also, I would like to remind you that I am new to all of this, so I'm not sure if I would really be able to take advantage of the advanced sq functions of that hu and I'm wondering if you think it would still be a worthwhile sq upgrade considering that? Lastly, are there any other components that you would recommend for the front and are you saying that the focal 165AS are not as good as the ones you mentioned or what would the differences be? I'm really just looking for my system to compliment the sub I already have and blend harmonically. Sq is my main goal, but as I said I am new to this so I don't want to get in over my head with complicated setups or things that have more features than I will make use of. Thanks so much for the help!

Just wanted to clarify that when I ask what the differences are I'm referring to the ID ctx and the focal 165as or any other component suggestions that you have. My main concern with components is getting a set that isn't drowned out by the sub and that they portray very clean mids and highs(I guess that is what most people are looking for in components, but I'm not sure). Thanks so much!

Just wanted to clarify that when I ask what the differences are I'm referring to the ID ctx and the focal 165as or any other component suggestions that you have. My main concern with components is getting a set that isn't drowned out by the sub and that they portray very clean mids and highs(I guess that is what most people are looking for in components, but I'm not sure). Thanks so much!
Clean mids and highs are very simple goals, basically a given with amplified components. Hell, you can achieve that easily with less than 100 dollars budget if you ran active with raw drivers(separate mids and tweeters no crossovers included and crossed over with head unit/DSP) but that requires some advanced tuning skill that you are probably not ready to do yet. With 80 prs we take it PAST the level of clean and clear into the world of sound stage, detail, instrument separation and extreme clarity.

Your head unit is okay for the average Joe. However for actual sound quality. The audio tuning capabilities is stifling at best with sub par internals Digital audio converters. Basically the difference between the two head units is. One plays noise the other one lets you truly experience music. One has stereo sound that just plays music like how it would sound in a stock system. The other one can literally create a live rock/hip hop/edm concert on your dash board enveloping you where you literally get lost in it.

What I listed is just differences between the two component speakers and you can make choices based on your personal preferences. If you like brighter sounding tweeters and mids then go with focals. If you want warmer mid rangy sound for guitars and deeper instruments, the CTX fit the bill a little bit better.

The rear USB of the 80 prs is not a problem at all since there's a USB extender cable included that you can run literally anywhere. Either the dask kit's spare pocket or even down by your center console if you want to extend it far with a longer cable. No usb in front means bigger screen too.

I just really wish I could listen to the speakers in person to make my decision -_- is tuning with that head unit going to be something that has to be done between every song or mainly just for different kinds of music? Also I should mention that I mainly listen to rock,metalcore, dubstep, and rap. would you recommend anything else or anything different considering that I will mainly be listening to those kinds of music or would you still say that those 2 sets of components we've been referring to are very good choices? Thanks again //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

I just really wish I could listen to the speakers in person to make my decision -_- is tuning with that head unit going to be something that has to be done between every song or mainly just for different kinds of music? Also I should mention that I mainly listen to rock,metalcore, dubstep, and rap. would you recommend anything else or anything different considering that I will mainly be listening to those kinds of music or would you still say that those 2 sets of components we've been referring to are very good choices? Thanks again //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
Tune should be set it and forget it. Get it right it will play everything. At that point it comes down to the music itself. You won't want to listen to bad recordings.

As for the install, the car will set that premise. Some need more treatment than others.

In terms of leaving the stock speakers in the rear, would I be able to get more volume out of my overall system if I replaced the rear speakers? I've heard people say that rear speakers really only effect the experience when sitting in the back seat, but idk if that's true or not. I definitely do want my system to be clear and high quality as I've said, but I also don't want to lose out on any volume. Does anyone have Input on the focal 165as components or have a better recommendation for components around that 300-350 price mark?

I'm also curious to know if time alignment really makes as big of a difference in listening experience as some people say it does and if I would be using the auto time alignment feature that the hu has or if there is a better way to do it.

I'm also curious to know if time alignment really makes as big of a difference in listening experience as some people say it does and if I would be using the auto time alignment feature that the hu has or if there is a better way to do it.
Time alignment makes a huge difference and so does proper EQ adjustments and proper installation. Sound quality is realism. You need to be able to reproduce sound that is completely flawless to the point that you forget you in a vehical. Powering the drivers is equally inportant. You must have a clean amplified signal and a clean source signal. This would match up well with your other JL amp JL Audio HD600 4 HD 600 4 2 or 3 Channel Amplifier Excellent Condition 011170030605 | eBay As far as FOCAL drivers, they offer different lines that correspond to the levels of fidelity. For sound quality competition, I wouldnt get anything below the K2Power line. It would either be K2 Powers or Utopia Be. Focal K2Power | eBay Focal Utopia be | eBay

Speakers are not equal distant from your ears, especially the subwoofer. Time alignment makes every soundwave from every speaker reach your ear at the same time. Instead of the vocalist just hearing the vocals, it will feel like the vocalist being dead center of the dash board. Guitars and drums will sweep across the dash. Without it, it'll sound lifeless. Auto T/A is an okay starting point. When you understand the head unit better you can set it manually for better results.

In terms of leaving the stock speakers in the rear, would I be able to get more volume out of my overall system if I replaced the rear speakers? I've heard people say that rear speakers really only effect the experience when sitting in the back seat, but idk if that's true or not. I definitely do want my system to be clear and high quality as I've said, but I also don't want to lose out on any volume. Does anyone have Input on the focal 165as components or have a better recommendation for components around that 300-350 price mark?
You wont lose out on volume at all with amplified front components. Your ears will give out before the speakers get close to maxing out. Again, rears darn near useless forget about spending any sort of money on them until its the absolute last part of your system in the far future.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.