First time building my own enclosure

Participant count
  • Participant list

JustinStone

aspiring nutrient
Florida
Two skar SVR-12's running off 550watts rms @ 2ohms from a MA1889i amp. Box is 3.70-3.75ft³ net, and tuned to 34hz. Should be readily available for 800watts rms. Placed in the trunk of a Pt Cruiser; facing deck-lid.

I'm pretty proud of it, tbh...

0001-jpg.26617

AutoCAD drawing (ended up only using 1" threaded rods)

All pieces cut out, but the L ruler I was using turn out to be bent.. had to do a lot of measurements again and almost every cut was jagged from using a hand-held circular saw. This part demotivated me the most since everything wasn't lining up properly.

I shaved a lot of sides flat; decided to push through my disappointment, and begin fitting the pieces together.

I ended up using A LOT of wood glue and caulk, and the weight is almost too much for me to carry alone.

All in all, its pretty rough.. but I gotta start somewhere or I'll never leave the starting block.

She hits pretty low though: flexes the trunk, roof/sunroof, and doors pretty hard at 20-25hz. Have yet to get an SPL reading, but I want to wait until 800watts to do so.

Last edited:
Looks good. I'd have just used round port(s) out the top, likely would have been fine in that vehicle. I can't see how close that rear gate sits closed but I'd worry that crowds out the port.

Looks good. I'd have just used round port(s) out the top, likely would have been fine in that vehicle. I can't see how close that rear gate sits closed but I'd worry that crowds out the port.

I have ~5 inches from the end of the top of the port to the decklid, and the bottom is ~6 inches away; i think this is a good amount of space?

I have ~5 inches from the end of the top of the port to the decklid, and the bottom is ~6 inches away; i think this is a good amount of space?

Common theory is 1 port width away from anything for it to function as intended. Whether it's "enough" in your build, only testing can tell you. IF you can fold the seats down and push the box towards the front a few more inches and test that should tell you quickly if there's a difference and if so how much.

Common theory is 1 port width away from anything for it to function as intended. Whether it's "enough" in your build, only testing can tell you. IF you can fold the seats down and push the box towards the front a few more inches and test that should tell you quickly if there's a difference and if so how much.
definitely doesn't like being 9-15" away; although I can't tell much of a difference at 5-8", I'll need a spl meter to measure it.

I am against where the subs are placed in that box. It looks like a good design overall, but that's like the worst place to put the subs, IMO. In reality, usually the difference is minor, there's a lot of factors I'm considering here.

Last edited:
You need to fire that box all up IMO, either put a port off to one side or do a center port. Fire subs and port up. It looks like your port is right up against the hatch, do you have any pics of the hatch closed with the box in the vehicle? It's hard to tell for me exactly, not accusing of anything, just giving my honest opinion.

Not knocking man, for sure we all have to start somewhere. The quality of your box building skills actually looks fairly good. You could go a long way with audio, if you can always build like that. Idk how many boxes you've built, but if it's not many, you've got some inherently good structural skills, IMO.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...