First time audio system replacement, I need help and advice!

Participant count
  • Participant list
My grandfather just recently gave me a 1987 Poniac 6000 STE. Everything ran perfect and the car only had 89,000 miles, but 2 of the speakers are dead and there is a constant static with factory audio system.

I am definitely new to all of this but ive been learning slowly, but im trying to see if this system I have would be alright in the car. I care more about the sound quality throughout the car more than how hard the bass rocks. I first thought about 2 8" subs but I think a 10" is what I need. But dont get me wrong, I love lots of bass, just not where it vibrates a tri-block area and drowns the music completely. I listen to alot of Rock and Rap. I also didnt plan on spending more than 600 for the whole system.. nothing extremely fancy but a nice, solid audio system. So for the new system I planned on putting in..

Head Unit: Pioneer DEH-6300 UB

Speakers: Pioneer TS-A6963R 6x9 for the back dash and Pioneer TS-G1043R 4" for the front dash.

Amplifier: Alpine MRP-F300 V-Power 4-channel

Subwoofer: JL Audio 10W1v2-4

I was also thinking about adding some tweeters in there, but as far as those four go, would that be pretty legit?

Is there anything that wouldnt work together?

Im not sure about the amplifier though, how many watts I would be getting out of that with 4 speakers and the sub. 200-300 for the one sub and 2-40 for each speaker, but would it better to just run my speakers through the Head unit with 4 x 50W MOSFET amplifier?

Any help, recommendations and advice is extremely appreciated, I plan on making all the purchases within a few days, sorry for my ignorance lol.

I have a friend of mine that is going to help me install it, said he knows how to do it all, including replacing old wires? I can buy all of those parts mostly new for $500 total. I cant build my own box, thats one thing Im still looking for, but the essentials or what I think are down.

There are no space limitations. My trunk is massively huge..

The guy at the local shop said most of that stuff for $1400, including the labor of coarse.. I dont know much about all this like i've said but I know that was way, way, way overpriced for what I was asking for.

If it were me I would ditch the rear speakers all together. Run a nice comp set up front (this would require some mods to fit into your doors or dash but should not be to hard at all). A single 10" in the correct box will get the job done. Buy a decent 2 channel for the front and a decent mono for the sub.

I'm with Disturbed a nice comp set is good ground to start with than can always add on. I didn't see an amp for the sub listed? You can get a 5 channel amp to run everything. I will tell you like i told someone else on here get on the classifieds for your money you can find great deals, I do. Unless you want a warranty than you pay a crap load at a shop. Do the build yourself. You'll save money it's the only way to learn. Good luck with the never end search for the perfect sound, It's an addiction that don't stop if it does it's a ton of money later, Lol!

One last thing, nice car! I loved mine back in the early 90's i ripped out the back seat had a big downfire box with one 12. If i remember they got all that metal behind the back seat. Hard to let good sound through. If it does whiz wheel, cut it out,Ha!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.