First subwoofer, reasonable setup under 500?

Aftermarket, I have a jvc and a Sony and a dual, the Sony has the most outputs, which I guess more is better
Good, that’ll make the install easier. Patch cables and a remote wire will come in the amp kit and you should be able to connect them to the HU easily. It’d be a little harder and maybe require some extra gear to hook it up to a stock radio.

I'd second the FU subs. Running these FU 6.5s in my build, they aren't going to blow the top off my jeep but they'll shake the mirrors which is enough for me. Very stout and pretty loud for 6.5s.

I'll also recommend building a custom box. They are very easy (unless you have to have it in a very specific location, like me). I had buck design mine for cheap and just built them myself.

Don't cheap out on the install kit. I usually just buy the wires separately, but a kit is also fine. Cheap wire usually doesn't bend well, is lower quality (CCA etc), and may not be shielded. Just my 2 cents.

Agreed, but skip those clamps. $37 for 4 clamps under 4 inches. Go to harbor freight. Their clamps are much cheaper and work just fine. You'll also want much bigger than 4 inch clamps to build a box.

Harbor freight for sure on the clamps. probably need some 48 inchers, which are a bit pricey when you need at least 3 of them. I have 10 so I can clamp together a bunch all at once without waiting for each panel to dry.

Also the homedepot price on mdf will change based on location I don't pay 37 dollars for a sheet here locally,lol.

Also you can find good OFC at other places besides Crutchfield. Sonicelectronix is one place and even Amazon sells Knuconeptz kits in ofc as well with everything you need. Stinger RCA's are for sale there as well for a good price.

And yep Harborfreight clamps will be much cheaper or Amazon as well.

Harbor freight for sure on the clamps. probably need some 48 inchers, which are a bit pricey when you need at least 3 of them. I have 10 so I can clamp together a bunch all at once without waiting for each panel to dry.
I just need 2 clamps. Glue a side up, clamp on each end to get it tight, punch a few brads in and pull the clamps off.

For anybody who doesn't know, you don't need a pneumatic nail gun, the electric ones work wonderfully and are cheap. I do repair for a living, and have a nice set of Rigid battery tools that are absolutely fantastic and I 1000% recommend them, however for around the house stuff I have a full set of cheap ryobi battery tools. The ryobi nail gun is the one I use, it's like $80 and works great, no complaints. Great to have a battery nailer as well for custom markups out doors. When I did my form fit jeep under seat boxes, I'd take a few panels out, fit them perfectly, then hit it with a couple of beads to ensure they were exactly perfect.

Agreed, but skip those clamps. $37 for 4 clamps under 4 inches. Go to harbor freight. Their clamps are much cheaper and work just fine.
I've found that some tools at harbor freight are just as good but cheaper, while others are cheaper and inferior. Are harbor freight clamps of the same quality as dewalt? Genuine question, since I haven't ever had an issue with any dewalt product.

I've found that some tools at harbor freight are just as good but cheaper, while others are cheaper and inferior. Are harbor freight clamps of the same quality as dewalt? Genuine question, since I haven't ever had an issue with any dewalt product.
I'm not sure as far as full stress test until failure goes, but usability they are completely fine and don't feel lacking in any way. I won't buy any precision tools from harbor freight, but clamps have not been an issue and I've built hundreds of projects with them. I can tell you that the price vs what Dewalt charges, they are 100x better for the money. Dewalt power tools are fantastic, but clamps are just steel, and precision isn't a big deal at all.

Also stay away from Skar garbage and not too mention the owner.

Did Skar hurt your feelings because their subs are 20% more affordable and exactly the same materials and QC standard compared to every other mainstream audio market that's been around for decades that's now struggling b/c of our current national situation? Cry me a river.

Are harbor freight clamps of the same quality as dewalt? Genuine question, since I haven't ever had an issue with any dewalt product.

Can promise you they're not Dewalt quality, but I've only bought HF handle pump clamps so far and they've worked from my 3 box builds to some other smaller wood/home improvement projects. I always shop in store however.

Did Skar hurt your feelings because their subs are 20% more affordable and exactly the same materials and QC standard compared to every other mainstream audio market that's been around for decades that's now struggling b/c of our current national situation? Cry me a river.

People in here can't stand the owner for a number of reasons. Skar is basically just copying Sundown also. If you want a recommendation for Skar, it probably won't happen in here.

To be fair that's not the case. Skar doesn't own any significant patent or design they basically just go to the cheapest chinese buildhouse and say "uhh can you copy this sub for cheaper".
exactly the same materials and QC standard compared to every other mainstream audio market that's been around for decades
Lol no. Skar QC and materials are on par with CT Sound and Nemesis Audio, 2 brands you'll NEVER hear recommended on this site so stop with this whole BS narrative of "ohh every other mainstream brand you guys like are doing it"
If you want a recommendation for Skar, it probably won't happen in here.
**** owner, no designs/patents, cheap softparts that shred under proper use, high output amps that there target demographic can't physical run (resulting in distortion, clipping, and fried capacitors).

Tough to recommend them when there business is a walking oxymoron and there's tons of better viable alternatives

Last edited:
To be fair that's not the case. Skar doesn't own any significant patent or design they basically just go to the cheapest chinese buildhouse and say "uhh can you copy this sub for cheaper".
Lol no. Skar QC and materials are on par with CT Sound and Nemesis Audio, 2 brands you'll NEVER hear recommended on this site so stop with this whole BS narrative of "ohh every other mainstream brand you guys like are doing it"
**** owner, no designs/patents, cheap softparts that shred under proper use, high output amps that there target demographic can't physical run (resulting in distortion, clipping, and fried capacitors).

Tough to recommend them when there business is a walking oxymoron and there's tons of better viable alternatives

I hear ya. The owner used to be at Sundown, right? He left and basically tries to copy Sundown for cheaper. What do people think of Soundcubed on here? Isn't the owner of SoundCubed the son of the owner of DD?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.