Sundown

Dumb question, but what exactly does it mean when people say, "inefficient subwoofer"?
What it means to me and everyone interprets it differently is how well it does on rated power for instance the X series needs damn near twice the rated power (1500 wrms) to even get it moving while other subs albeit totally different applications like JL audio do very well on low power like a w6 only needs 4-600 watts to get moving. Thats all imo

So, some people call that inefficient and some people will say that it can take tons of power. Isn't it just a matter of knowing if your sub has stiff or soft suspension? Whatever, it is what it is.

No. Motor strength is another factor. Same wattage, same suspension, same size, but one woofer has a stronger motor, one has weaker. The stronger motor has more gauss per watt than the other, so per watt there's more magnetic reaction. Stronger motor means the woofer has more magnetism to grab onto, so to speak. Generally, more motor strength = more efficiency, if all other factors are the same.

There's coil gaps, center motor poles, length of the coil (aka how much of the coil is within usable magnetism from the motor).

A lot of factors play into efficiency.

Another factor in efficiency would be Mms, which is the moving mass. The heavier the parts are that have to move, the more power is used to move that weight, instead of being turned into sound.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.