First build! 2008 Scion xB "SQ" build.

Probably going to use a CT 900.1 and 75.4 rather than the JBL amps, pondering changing the sub stage as well, doing a twelve instead of a ten, and not a GTI.

Honestly, the equipment you listed isn't the best, but not the worst. Before I'd buy new equipment, I'd work with what i have. Most of your SQ is going to come from your install methods and tuning, with equipment being last.
Believe me, you can have the best equipment, but if you don't have things installed and tuned accordingly, then that equipment isn't going to help much.
You can make a cheap system sounds incredible, ask @keep_hope_alive; i think he had like, only 200 in components at one time.

There is a lot to learn, i wouldn't jump into buying equipiment just yet.
I'd demo a sq car also. Don't make the mistake i did. I worked at my "sq" system for a year. Then listened to some sq cars, and quickly realized my system was way off, and i had been doing things wrong the whole time.

My .02.

You seem motivated so you should be fine

[quote name='calebkhill']Honestly, the equipment you listed isn't the best, but not the worst. Before I'd buy new equipment, I'd work with what i have. Most of your SQ is going to come from your install methods and tuning, with equipment being last.
Believe me, you can have the best equipment, but if you don't have things installed and tuned accordingly, then that equipment isn't going to help much.
You can make a cheap system sounds incredible, ask @keep_hope_alive; i think he had like, only 200 in components at one time.

There is a lot to learn, i wouldn't jump into buying equipiment just yet.
I'd demo a sq car also. Don't make the mistake i did. I worked at my "sq" system for a year. Then listened to some sq cars, and quickly realized my system was way off, and i had been doing things wrong the whole time.

My .02.

You seem motivated so you should be fine[/QUOTE]
Thank you, always like input. I'll probably still buy stuff just considering everything but my sub stage is stock, haha. I will definitely ask for a ton of help as far as tuning and installing goes since I'm a huge noob and not particularly talented. Haha. Thank you!

install is certainly key and requires a place to work (garage preferred), plenty of tools, decent fabrication skills, and lots of time. like 100 hours minimum for a good sounding system. at least, that's what i put in to cars that I build for SQ.

just be prepared to put the time in. recognize you are the system designer. you are buying raw components and having to implement their installation. you control the acoustical environment, the signal path, and the component type. recognize that a home audio speaker enclosure has hundreds of hours of R&D in it. you are doing that much work + the effort of designing an integrated receiver.

just be prepared to put the time in. recognize you are the system designer. you are buying raw components and having to implement their installation. you control the acoustical environment, the signal path, and the component type. recognize that a home audio speaker enclosure has hundreds of hours of R&D in it. you are doing that much work + the effort of designing an integrated receiver.
If I have direction I'm willing to put in the time, eager actually. I regret paying for my past installs and I'm really excited to finish something and know that it, and how it sounds is a product of my hard work. I'm up for late nights, cuts, strain, etc, it sounds fun. I just need the direction and know how I think. Well, and money and equipment. Haha.

If I have direction I'm willing to put in the time, eager actually. I regret paying for my past installs and I'm really excited to finish something and know that it, and how it sounds is a product of my hard work. I'm up for late nights, cuts, strain, etc, it sounds fun. I just need the direction and know how I think. Well, and money and equipment. Haha.
getting direction is easy. look through the three build logs in my sig. that will give you a good idea.

Alright. I think I've finally solidified my equipment choices, came across some incredible deals and just couldn't pass them up and that shifted my system ideas. So here's the choices as of now:

Old school RE 12.1, great deal from JL Audio on here.

A Memphis Mclass two channel for my front stage, got for $150 from the local shop!

Still doing the JBL MS-62C's for my components.

Not running a rear stage.

I think I've decided on a Fi Q 15 for my sub, ported at 32hz.

Going to deaden the whole car like crazy with Q-Mat from Soundqubed.

Also doing big-3, and the only thing I'm unsure of is what size battery or batteries to get. Have a yellow top up front, but that's it.

Alright, between yesterday and a tad today I've managed to forget to take any pictures but I did install my front stage. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif Got Memphis MC 6.5 components instead of the JBLs, the local shop owner and I have become pretty good buds so I get some great deals now on what he sells, plus, he really knows his stuff, unlike most shops. I picked them up for $250 and now that they are installed and amped on the matching amp I couldn't be more pleased. They sound awesome, very full and crisp. Lots of midbass, but not overpowering at all, the tweets are very smooth and clear. They are running passive, but I set the decks crossover a bit to really make them shine. I also put about 1.5 sheets of Hushmat in the doors so that helps as well. The amp is mounted under the drivers seat and I can take some pictures if anyone cares to see how I did, haha. Not the best, but it was my first time.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.