First box build ever. Tips and help welcomed.

Participant count
  • Participant list

Wid0wMak3r
10+ year member

I'm building my first box ever. Its for a 2004 Corvette and I'm using a Sundown SA-8V2. I've included the plans from the RE Audio calculator I used. Maybe not the best specs ever but I did what I could with the space available. I've uploaded my progress so far. Lots of screws used and all the seems were glued with liquid nails. Got my 45's in and sanded all the edges where air flows to a nice curve. After that I put a layer of fiberglass resin down. Its probly too thick but a little sanding will help fix it up nicely I hope. Just waiting for the resin to dry to continue. Anybody see any major issues or have any tips or tricks going forward? The two things I'm worried about is the resin eating the liquid nails (does that happened?) and the front plate of the box barely has enough room for the cut out diameter, the baffle might be a little weak because of that? Do I need to add another little plate of MDF around the baffle to beef it up? Any help is welcomed. Thanks!

Bracing. I brace anything over 10". Just simple 2x2's with 45's on either end wall to wall. Don't build out of plywood like my pic shows. Just pay attention to the bracing! I built that box to compare a MDF to Plywood enclosure

Quick update. Sanded down all the fiberglass resin as good as its gonna get. (definitely not a professional job) and then got the port put in. In the corners of the port we made corner pieces rather than true 45s because of the tight space. I don't really like them but you gotta do what you gotta do I suppose.

Are you planning on carpeting it? I built a box for a mtx 15" sub and still just have bare MDF board. I was thinking about using plasti-dip if you know what that is

yes my jet black carpet just arrived today. should look nice. I know what plasti dip and I don't see why that wouldn't work. I was actually going to paint mine but I screwed up the pilot holes on the front of the box so the screws didn't sink into the wood correctly. Now I'm going to carpet it to cover those up.

Oh well man your box is lookin all square and clean. It's really something to be proud of when you can make things yourself, not just buy them like anyone can do. I'll post a pic of mine when I transfer it to my ipad here

727123882955613771_36734456

Should be plenty adequate for a single 8". Carpeting can be tricky if you don't know the trick to getting the seems blended in. I have no idea if there's a picture tutorial somewhere, it's awful hard to explain without showing someone.

Yeah I didn't do everything alone and I had to barrow like 5 different tools from 4 different people. lol. seems that having the right tools is half the battle. I understood how to make the box and the extra little thing to make it nice but I don't have a lot of experience with power tools so my dad and uncles gave me a hand here and there and taught me the ways. Apparently they thought I needed more practice because since then I've had to frame, sheet rock, and mud a 25' wall to learn more lol. I think I'm going to have my mom give me a hand with the carpet. We'll see how that goes. Here are the final pics. Only things left to do are the carpet and the sub arrives tomorrow. =) And by the way bro I cant see that pic of your box.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.