finally got the subwoofer... now time for an amp.... any suggestions??

manas
10+ year member

after 2 days of constantly asking questions and snooping around i finally purchased the Alpine SWX-1243D Dual 4 Ohm 1000w RMS Subwoofer... i just have this 1 single woofer and am not planning to put in a second... so onto the tricky part.. choosing the amp... i want to be running this sub to its full potential i.e 1000w RMS of clean power... want to be doing a parallel 2 ohm load setup (obviously)... so looking for an amp with some headroom @ 2 ohm i.e 1200w... so please provide me with the best possible solution while keeping the above in mind.. also reliability is a major concern for me as i am not planning on an upgrade for at least 2 years from now... budget is under $350 as i'm ordering international (non US /Canada)... so yeah.. thats about it.... thanks guys!

after 2 days of constantly asking questions and snooping around i finally purchased the Alpine SWX-1243D Dual 4 Ohm 1000w RMS Subwoofer... i just have this 1 single woofer and am not planning to put in a second... so onto the tricky part.. choosing the amp... i want to be running this sub to its full potential i.e 1000w RMS of clean power... want to be doing a parallel 2 ohm load setup (obviously)... so looking for an amp with some headroom @ 2 ohm i.e 1200w... so please provide me with the best possible solution while keeping the above in mind.. also reliability is a major concern for me as i am not planning on an upgrade for at least 2 years from now... budget is under $350 as i'm ordering international (non US /Canada)... so yeah.. thats about it.... thanks guys!
Lookin into the Apline MRP-1000 You can get one for around 220-250 used its solid amp and it will do 1000rms @ 2ohms which is perfect for your sub and price range !

No you will just have 1300+@2ohm and 2200+@1ohm for any future upgrades. U can always just turn the gain knob down.
Horrible advice for a beginner.

The gain should be set in accordance with the head unit or line driver's output voltage.

An amp's wattage output directly coincides with the headunit's volume knob. If your head unit clips @ "volume 30" adjust your amp's gains so the amp puts out it's max unclipped power @ "volume 25". Now say your amp is putting out 1200 watts @ "volume 25"...At any volume under "volume 25" your amp will be putting out less than 1200 watts.

So if your sub can "thermally" handle 1,000 watts for prolonged periods of time...Keep the volume slightly below "volume 25" because we know "volume 25" = 1200 watts.

Would a 5000 watt amp blow the sub on "volume 1" ? No because a 5000 watt amp (properly adjusted) on "volume 1" may only be putting out 50 watts..

This point is moot to any beginner because to properly adjust an amplifier you need to use an oscilloscope on a tone source not music..Blah blah blah..Have a professional do it you will screw it up //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif no offense.

Any amp's output is totally under the operators control via the source's (headunit) volume knob.

The underlying point here is: when in doubt set any ego you may have aside and have a professional installer set everything up, and instruct you.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

manas

10+ year member
manas
Mumbai, IN
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from