Fi Q 10" clicking sound at high excursion on low bass 25-30hz?

Participant count
  • Participant list
I have a 10" Fi Q in a sealed 1.1net cuft enclosure. At high excursion near full tilt it makes a clicking or slapping sound on some notes with lower bass in roughly the 25-30 hz range, which sounds I guess similar to like tinsel leads slapping? As a reference, I will say that I've heard what appeared to be the same sound on videos of higher power Sundowns such as the X or Z series on YouTube during Sundowns testing when they'd have them playing free air on high power and not in a box at all. I've never seen or heard Fi or any other sub for that matter make this noise, and I've owned a jl 10" w0, kicker '07cvr 15", alpine type r 5th gen 12", 12" sony xplod, 12" Lanzar (old purple), 2 12" vintage mtx, 2 12" powerbass, 2 12" audiobahns, and 2 rockford fosgate hx2 10s in my life so far and none of them ever did this surprisingly. The amp gain is set to around 4 volts to match the hu, which is barely 1/3 gain on the amp. I have the bass eq off at 0, no ssf obviously, and the lpf is set around 80hz on the amp and hu with I think a 12 or 18db slope if I remember correctly.. I'm not sure what or why it's doing this, but it's horrible. I love the sub, it's the nicest thing since the invention of the microwave IMO, and if I turn it down a notch or two or play different songs, it's incredible and I have no issues with it. I hate that it does it only on the songs I like to play most often though. Would an air leak around the seal on the sub enclosure cause this, or voltage drops maybe? The amp drops to low 11 volts on the amp on the voltmeter, and low 12s at the battery on the voltmeter when it makes the clicking sound also, if that helps. Is there something I'm doing wrong? Also, is the owner of Fi on here named ndmstang or something? Maybe someone can tag him in this? Any input helps, thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
The spider appears to be fine. It's the upgraded spider also, so I don't see that ever being a problem. I'm trying to figure out what I could do to change this, to help the problem I'm having with playing it at higher volumes.. my first guess was the tinsel leads slapping..

Bottoming out, tinsel slap, detached spider possibly? Maybe just playing audible distortion.

This is something someone would need to hear in person to see what's going on.. But if it's at high excursion it's either tinsel slap or coil tick, loose spider,loose dust cap

I had this happen with a c2 threatcon 2 12 when over powered the coil left the gap all together and caused a clicking noise. This lead to triple joint failure and the coil getting deformed on the return trip into the gap. Are the tensile leads stitched or woven if not it is most likely the leads slapping at high excursion. Don't think you are physically driving the coil out of the gap like on my c2.

I removed it and inspected it.. ran it free air for about 10 mins.. It looks and sounds ok to me and doesn't make any slapping or clicking noises while out of the box. It sounds like a sub in a leaky box, that's all I took notice to(I never free aired a sub before this). Also, I tested the coils and they're both still exactly 1 ohm each... Don't mind the rust, I bought it from a kid on craigslist over 2 hours away from me in jersey shore, so Im assuming that happened due to living on the coastline(that's what I was told also), and I never got around to fix it yet.

pull the sub and take a look.

Last edited by a moderator:
The tinsels are sandwiched between the spiders, and it's far from over powered. The sub can handle 1800rms+ and my amp doesn't touch that, I wish I could say it did.. I ran it free air for about 10 mins and it seemed fine, so Idk.

I had this happen with a c2 threatcon 2 12 when over powered the coil left the gap all together and caused a clicking noise. This lead to triple joint failure and the coil getting deformed on the return trip into the gap. Are the tensile leads stitched or woven if not it is most likely the leads slapping at high excursion. Don't think you are physically driving the coil out of the gap like on my c2.

Awe I bet your box has a blown out corner or side. Check the box while playing one of those songs that it does it on. Even well built boxes can do this from time to time. If that isn't it I'm as stumped as you are.

if you think it leaking, check the box really good.

i would seal the hole box up good.

make sure the sub gasket is in good condition and the sub opening.

the last resort is put a bead of rtv around the hole before you put the sub back in. it will help seal the sub to box.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.