Experimental HT enclosure

Participant count
  • Participant list
JL recommends 3.75-4 tuned around 28hz.

It models much better in 8-10cf tuned 24-26hz iirc.

You know how those models can be. Idk if you'd ever want that group delay unless you were just doing bass for HT for like storms and explosions with a box that size. If you're gonna do that, might as well do a straight t-line IMO.

What's the actual dimensions of the absolute most space you want to give up? Like I have to make it proper or the experiment won't work. I could do sealed but I really want to do ported, maybe do you have a smaller woofer?

tapered 1/8th wave, similar to a horn. Dont worry about FS as much as qts. You want the driver control regardless if t-line, tapped horn, or any combination of enclosure damping control.

Horn enclosures can do wonders in a large room. i had a BFM table tuba i built with a pair of tang band 740p 8's, and it consistently knocked stuff over and couldn't keep anything on the walls. Didnt play movie/entertainment low, but on music it was perfect.

tapered 1/8th wave, similar to a horn. Dont worry about FS as much as qts. You want the driver control regardless if t-line, tapped horn, or any combination of enclosure damping control.

Horn enclosures can do wonders in a large room. i had a BFM table tuba i built with a pair of tang band 740p 8's, and it consistently knocked stuff over and couldn't keep anything on the walls. Didnt play movie/entertainment low, but on music it was perfect.

I'm aiming for that stuff after I do stuff like I want to do here. I'm not worried about Q values as much because they're going in a loaded chamber. I want the lower Fs as part of playing subsonic here with what I want to do. This isn't going to play above 50-60 hz. Like if I was doing this for myself, I'd be aiming at bandwidth between 20 hz and 40-45 hz, maybe 50. Like this is genuinely an experiment for purposes of ease. If I do this like I'm planning, it'll be very easy to reproduce for me.

I'm in the process of working with a very old audio friend of mine, we used to work together. I'm working on developing my own rear loaded horn calculations without using a program at all, specifically for car audio. Going to see how much I can manipulate 1/4 wave tuning and add my calculations on top of that to see if I can get a formula I want without having to do crazy modeling or needing software like Hornsrep or some of those really expensive audio physics softwares.

I do not know horns well at all. I'm not familiar with the math or even that 1/8th wave tuning really. Just never needed to look into it, but I'm experimenting while I'm feeling like it.

Will you post a link in here to some 1/8th wave stuff so we can all learn?

Like specifically will you put up on here what you are referring to with the "tapered 1/8 wave, similar to a horn"?

Pics would be the best, I'm not seeing it in my mind.

Everything is just ratios. That's all it is really, to me. I don't like relying on programs and t/s parameters that can be wrong. I'm trying to real world test my theories and truly develop them. I just have major physical limitations, and can't really cut wood where I live. I have 2 old beat up RE SE's that I would use, but I'm just not in a position to build what I design right now.

Dude horn math is easy a F for non-exponential growth horns. Excel spreadsheet here I come!

Maybe I should do basically what equals a ported-horn hyrbid.

I am going to do a rear loaded horn on my own accord with someone else who builds boxes and sells them for a living.

You know how those models can be. Idk if you'd ever want that group delay unless you were just doing bass for HT for like storms and explosions with a box that size. If you're gonna do that, might as well do a straight t-line IMO.

What's the actual dimensions of the absolute most space you want to give up? Like I have to make it proper or the experiment won't work. I could do sealed but I really want to do ported, maybe do you have a smaller woofer?

I'll have to get some measurements this weekend. I also have a Dayton 10 with 26hz and GRS 12 with fs of 29hz.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.