Box design

Participant count
  • Participant list

Foogotz

CarAudio.com Newbie
Ny
Benn lurking for a while, first post. Looking for any/all advice on building a sealed enclosure for a 12" SSA GCON that i have on order. The box will be placed in the trunk of my 1967 GTO, preferably under the deck.
Vehicle :

Location in the vehicle: trunk

Space available (Length x Width x Height): limiting factors are height of 14" and width of 17"

Subwoofer make and model: SSA GCON

Subwoofer Size:12

Number of Subwoofers:1

Type of Port (Kerfed, Slot, Aero, etc.):

What type of music do you like?:Rock and blues mainly but i liten to everything

Is your goal SPL or Everyday Music?:everyday music

Tuning Freq (Hz):

Volume :

Questions: Again, any and all suggestions down to box material and placement. I am leaning towards a sealed enclosure and would like to build my own box. Alpine sa60m will be powering the sub at 2 ohms. Car will have 6x9s in the rear deck and 6.5 components in the front kick panels.

Thank you in advance!

You could do an easy 14x14x14 box. That should give you right at 1 cube net. 3/4” MDF will be fine. Placement under the rear deck facing towards the rear of the car will be fine as well since you’re looking for SQ.

Last edited:
Idk if you want to do this, but you could wall off your trunk and leave some holes covered in mesh on the rear deck, and just have the sub and the front walled off part of the trunk be actually part of the cabin airspace, and keep the bass out of the trunk altogether.

I kinda like that idea but will the 6x9s that are mounted under the deck interfere/ be interfered with? The PO had already cut the wholes in the deck so i want to use them as opposed to cutting more out of the car. I am trying to keep the car as original as possible (keeping the original kick panels and buying repros to cut apart with speakers etc. ) but part of the driving experience is having decent tunes.

I kinda like that idea but will the 6x9s that are mounted under the deck interfere/ be interfered with? The PO had already cut the wholes in the deck so i want to use them as opposed to cutting more out of the car. I am trying to keep the car as original as possible (keeping the original kick panels and buying repros to cut apart with speakers etc. ) but part of the driving experience is having decent tunes.

It shouldn't really interfer anymore than the sub being in the trunk in general. Bass is omnidirectional because of it's low frequency, so it shouldn't really matter where in the trunk it is in relations to your 6x9's, it's still going to pressurize the car/trunk the same.

Thanks. So, i would still build a box and then, seal off the rest of the trunk?

Yeah, just make sure that you don't choke the sub. You can actually do a 4th order bandpass like that, where you attached a port to the bottom of the rear panel. But you need to make sure there's plenty of airflow from the trunk, I would say at least the Sd of the woofer. As in, you need all of your openings in the rear of the car from that sealed section to be at least the Sd of the woofer, in my opinion. Ideally.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.