Evo VIII install

polk MM1040DVC, I think it's a nice looking sub

IMG_0878.jpg

dual 4ohm voice coils, 270rms

IMG_0879.jpg

box is off ebay, I know, I know, but it is .7 cu ft, recommended is .66 cu ft and it fit (kind of) where I wanted it to

IMG_0881.jpg

IMG_0883.jpg

sub sticks out too much to get under the bar but that's ok.

IMG_0884.jpg

IMG_0885.jpg

IMG_0888.jpg

IMG_0889.jpg

IMG_0890.jpg

Just let me say this is not my ideal setup. I don't have the tools to make my own box or I would've and I don't have the time to make my fiberglass enclosure right now. I added the grille because I thought it would look better than it does. I wanted the silver to tie in with the color of the car. I don't know, it looks just ok to me, a little awkward. I'm probably going to leave it, it'll be worth it if it protects my speaker. I'll probably ditch it when I do the fg or just paint it. Guess I could paint it now...

I ran into a few issues with the whole sub side of the setup. I connected everything and powered up the sub amp...then nothing. After two hours of checking rca cables, pulling the amp (without removing the seat) and rechecking all connections I hit the reset button on the h/u and bingo...some sound...very little though, had to put the sub volume to +8 (out of 8) to even tell its there. I wanted a subtle low end but this is ridiculous.

Come to find out my main pre outs front and rear are 5 volts and my sub out is 2 volts. I haven't messed with the gain yet, I just found out this info, not sure yet how if at all this is affecting my low output. I didn't know pre outs had rated voltage or that it matters.

My other problem is with the cross overs. The amp and h/u both have cross overs that are always on. It's my understanding to only use one but in this case I can't. The LPF on the amp is adjustable from 50-200Hz and my h/u has a selectable one, 55Hz, 85Hz, 125Hz. My thought is to turn up the amp to 200Hz and then use the h/u to do 85Hz. I read somewhere about cross overs introducing phase shift and causing problems when doubled up. I have no idea what that means, yet. Am I screwed with these two crossovers?

Last edited by a moderator:
I would have went with a Sundown SA-8, but that's a nice looking build & a beautiful car bro. I have a '00 Z28 & like muscle cars, but those EVO's sure are fun to drive. my buddy let me drive his up the mtn last month & it was a blast.

I ran into a few issues with the whole sub side of the setup. I connected everything and powered up the sub amp...then nothing. After two hours of checking rca cables, pulling the amp (without removing the seat) and rechecking all connections I hit the reset button on the h/u and bingo...some sound...very little though, had to put the sub volume to +8 (out of 8) to even tell its there. I wanted a subtle low end but this is ridiculous.
Come to find out my main pre outs front and rear are 5 volts and my sub out is 2 volts. I haven't messed with the gain yet, I just found out this info, not sure yet how if at all this is affecting my low output. I didn't know pre outs had rated voltage or that it matters.

My other problem is with the cross overs. The amp and h/u both have cross overs that are always on. It's my understanding to only use one but in this case I can't. The LPF on the amp is adjustable from 50-200Hz and my h/u has a selectable one, 55Hz, 85Hz, 125Hz. My thought is to turn up the amp to 200Hz and then use the h/u to do 85Hz. I read somewhere about cross overs introducing phase shift and causing problems when doubled up. I have no idea what means, yet. Am I screwed with these two crossovers?
If the gains on both amps are the same then that's probably your problem. with a high preout such as 4v or 5v youll be able to keep your gain down, but with 2v the gain usually needs to be higher to match the voltage. set the gains properly for each amp & also the x-overs & see if that doesnt cure your problem.

I would have went with a Sundown SA-8, but that's a nice looking build & a beautiful car bro.
Thanks. I had this sub on the way already but I did look at those subs. I haven't started the fg build yet so nothing in stone at this point. I have a DD2510 sitting here but that thing is a bit much I think. Pretty sure my car would sag if I put that in.

I have a '00 Z28 & like muscle cars, but those EVO's sure are fun to drive. my buddy let me drive his up the mtn last month & it was a blast.
I grew up reading my step dads Muscle Mustang and Fast Fords magazines. Needless to say there is a bit of a family rivalry going on. His 96 blown Cobra was a beast with 'only' 480hp. I let him drive my car in Mulholland Canyon on the 100oct tune and he just kept saying "this is 4 cylinders? I can't believe it!" I kept reminding him 4 cylinders, race gas and 26psi! I love the diversity cars offer and I like experiencing other facets of the hobby, my car suits me and his car suits him but we can appreciate what the other has to offer.

If the gains on both amps are the same then that's probably your problem. with a high preout such as 4v or 5v youll be able to keep your gain down, but with 2v the gain usually needs to be higher to match the voltage. set the gains properly for each amp & also the x-overs & see if that doesnt cure your problem.
I didn't mess with anything yet. I was waiting to get everything installed. All gains are at 0 or nom, I think thats what it says. I'll mess with it tomorrow. My main speakers sound great without touching the gains on the main amp and play plenty loud for me, I can't turn them up all the way, after 3/4 it hurts. I'll turn up the sub gain to see what that gets me, basically I want to balance the outputs. I started reading about gains but honestly it's a hard read and I don't fully understand it.

I think it sucks that I have two components that have cross overs always on. Is that common? If it is then it shouldn't be a problem. I'll be a little upset if I have to find a new sub amp.

Thanks. I had this sub on the way already but I did look at those subs. I haven't started the fg build yet so nothing in stone at this point. I have a DD2510 sitting here but that thing is a bit much I think. Pretty sure my car would sag if I put that in.

I grew up reading my step dads Muscle Mustang and Fast Fords magazines. Needless to say there is a bit of a family rivalry going on. His 96 blown Cobra was a beast with 'only' 480hp. I let him drive my car in Mulholland Canyon on the 100oct tune and he just kept saying "this is 4 cylinders? I can't believe it!" I kept reminding him 4 cylinders, race gas and 26psi! I love the diversity cars offer and I like experiencing other facets of the hobby, my car suits me and his car suits him but we can appreciate what the other has to offer.
the SA-8 would be great for your application, it only requires .6 cu ft sealed,which would save you some space. they have great sq & can get **** loud for such a small woofer. Dayton makes a nice 8'' sub too, but I can't think of the model atm.

my 1st vehicle was a '96 svt cobra, then I traded it for a '00 Z28 LS1

I love the sound of a stroked & cammed v8, but those awd 4 bangers are very impressive.

I didn't mess with anything yet. I was waiting to get everything installed. All gains are at 0 or nom, I think thats what it says. I'll mess with it tomorrow. My main speakers sound great without touching the gains on the main amp and play plenty loud for me, I can't turn them up all the way, after 3/4 it hurts. I'll turn up the sub gain to see what that gets me, basically I want to balance the outputs. I started reading about gains but honestly it's a hard read and I don't fully understand it.
I think it sucks that I have two components that have cross overs always on. Is that common? If it is then it shouldn't be a problem. I'll be a little upset if I have to find a new sub amp.
with a dmm you can get the gains close to where they should be, that'll help a lot. & to be honest, I'm not sure about the x-over...all the h/u ive used before had an off setting for x-over points.

Looks good. Only thing I would've done different is build the box wider, shallower, and not so deep so it would've ran from end to end all under the bar. It would give it a much cleaner look. Otherwise, it's a nice looking sub. Great job so far.

nice job so far man why not look into a 8 or 2 you get a good amount of out put as well as weigh very little my 8 by it self only weighs 9 pounds and im running 250 rms too it and it has good out put

Looks good. Only thing I would've done different is build the box wider, shallower, and not so deep so it would've ran from end to end all under the bar. It would give it a much cleaner look. Otherwise, it's a nice looking sub. Great job so far.
Thanks! I would like a box like that too. I did not build this one. I would like to utilize as much unused space in my trunk as possible. I'm going back and forth between a box like you described and a FG enclosure.

nice job so far man why not look into a 8 or 2 you get a good amount of out put as well as weigh very little my 8 by it self only weighs 9 pounds and im running 250 rms too it and it has good out put
Thank you. I'm looking at 8's, not opposed to switching it up. 9 lbs sounds great.

Nice, This will help me greatly !!
I'm learning a lot from most of this community, I'm glad to be able to help out. I took a bunch of pics and just posted the cliffs so if you have any questions you don't see addressed in the thread I'll do my best to clarify.

Whats your budget for upgrading the front stage?
I would say around $200, I'm willing to go a little higher for an impossible to pass up deal. I'm not willing to do door pods or modify the interior so anything lost to that isn't necessary. I guess this will never truly be a SQ build for me. I'm all about the happy medium

I'm learning a lot from most of this community, I'm glad to be able to help out. I took a bunch of pics and just posted the cliffs so if you have any questions you don't see addressed in the thread I'll do my best to clarify.

I would say around $200, I'm willing to go a little higher for an impossible to pass up deal. I'm not willing to do door pods or modify the interior so anything lost to that isn't necessary. I guess this will never truly be a SQ build for me. I'm all about the happy medium

Well being that you have something now.. For the 200-250 range, I would watch the forums and Fleebay on a regular basis and wait till a kick *** set pops up..Even slightly used.. I like to stay away from the mainstream and get stuff most people have never heard of. I can vouch for Diamond Hex's , I wanted a set for my Evo but didn't have the 400 to flop down. I purchased a set back in 06' for 250 new..lol I guess prices went up a bit, ehh. They are crazy.. I found a set of NIB Rainbow SLC 265.03's on Ebay for 170 TMD.. It's an older version but should sound good. New SLC's are in the 300 range.. So, there are deals to be found.

As far as SQ goes.. You don't need to modify stuff to get SQ.. Some quality drivers in the door, Sound deadening, and the key is the tweets.. I had an Avalanche that I had the Hex's in.. I installed the tweets flush mounted in the top corners of the dash so they would fire into the windshield and reflect off.. The way the sound reflected off the windshield filled the whole front stage nicely... I want to do this in the Evo but not sure how it'll work out. I have to disassemble to see..

I dont think having the 2 crossovers on will be a problem as long as you set them apart. Im pretty sure i've read Ram designs sets one at 63 and the other in the mid 100 range, and i would trust he knows what he is doing.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

AWD PSI

10+ year member
Senior VIP Member
AWD PSI
SoCal
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date