Evo VIII install

Well being that you have something now.. For the 200-250 range, I would watch the forums and Fleebay on a regular basis and wait till a kick *** set pops up..Even slightly used.. I like to stay away from the mainstream and get stuff most people have never heard of. I can vouch for Diamond Hex's , I wanted a set for my Evo but didn't have the 400 to flop down. I purchased a set back in 06' for 250 new..lol I guess prices went up a bit, ehh. They are crazy.. I found a set of NIB Rainbow SLC 265.03's on Ebay for 170 TMD.. It's an older version but should sound good. New SLC's are in the 300 range.. So, there are deals to be found.
As far as SQ goes.. You don't need to modify stuff to get SQ.. Some quality drivers in the door, Sound deadening, and the key is the tweets.. I had an Avalanche that I had the Hex's in.. I installed the tweets flush mounted in the top corners of the dash so they would fire into the windshield and reflect off.. The way the sound reflected off the windshield filled the whole front stage nicely... I want to do this in the Evo but not sure how it'll work out. I have to disassemble to see..
I see why you would want to do the tweets like that. My 3000gt had them mounted the same way from the factory. I'm thinking you would be able to temporarily mount them with double sided tape and see if you get the desired effect.

I dont think having the 2 crossovers on will be a problem as long as you set them apart. Im pretty sure i've read Ram designs sets one at 63 and the other in the mid 100 range, and i would trust he knows what he is doing.
I messed around with it today and set the amp xover at 200 and the h/u one at 85. I don't think they were interfering with each other. I could switch between 85 and 125 on the h/u and not hear a difference.

I played with some settings and got some sound out of the sub. I need to set the gains with a dmm, started reading on how to do that last night. Unless I have the head unit at volume 8, I get almost no sound out of the sub. I turned my gain up to the 5v mark and it was ok. I turned the gain up one more mark, second highest, and it was a little better. I used the bass boost function also, turned that up a little and got the sound I was looking for. The bass EQ goes from 0-12, I have it at 6. I didn't want to have one parameter maxed, gain (amp rated higher than the sub) or the bass EQ so I was going for mid settings. I'm getting close, need someone in the area to listen and tell me if I'm on the right track.

previous sub set up: ran on an alpine mrp-m350 @2ohm 350rms.

IMG_0889.jpg

Started to break in and play louder just in time for me to switch it out.....

.....to this. ran it on the mrp-m350 @4ohm 200rms

IMG_0977.jpg

IMG_0979.jpg

IMG_0981.jpg

Got a bit of my trunk back as the RF fits under the bar.

The RF played a little bit quieter than the Polk sub. You could still hear and feel it but not as good. That was to be expected since I'm only giving it half power. I got a hell of a deal on it, 77.00 and free shipping. I couldn't pass it up. The only problem is now my amp is inadequate. To solve that I bought an...

...alpine mrp-m650 @ 4ohm 400rms, 600rms @ 2ohm

IMG_0986.jpg

comparison.

IMG_0989.jpg

Just installed the 650 tonight. Will try it out tomorrow. I'm expecting big things.

I'd suggest at least trying the polk in that RF's enclosure as well and see which setup you like best. either way you'll be happier with more power provided by the larger sub amp.

I think the Polk is way too deep. The RF is really thin. I ultimately want to put the polk in a FG enclosure on the side of my trunk. I was getting some good sound out of it. I only bought the RF because it was such a good deal I couldn't pass it up. I tried for 2 days but I had to go back and buy it. You know how that goes...and then I found the amp for a steal on ebay...I'm out of control.

Doh, I didn't even think about the depth... could get ghetto and just invert it //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

Doh, I didn't even think about the depth... could get ghetto and just invert it //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif
Lol, then I'd really never get it under the bar!

That was the mistake I made with the first box, I bought one that fit under the bar but didn't account for the woofer...

looks good! i like that second box much better. Its hard to tell from the angles, but just make sure there is no way for the sub to hit the strut brace. from the pics, it looks like if it got into some high excursion, it could hit it

Thanks!

I played a couple Bass Mekanik songs to see how it does and it's nowhere near hitting the bar. The whole combo is strikingly thin, I like how it slides up under the bar. I went up in size to a 12 and increased usable trunk space at the same time. Since putting in the bigger Alpine amp I was able leave off bass boost and the gain is only up one mark from nom to .5v. The extra power from the amp made a world of difference. I think it's pretty close to perfect for what I was shooting for in the beginning, putting on some heavy bass tracks will rattle things inside my house but the car sounds like shit standing outside. Crazy trunk panel rattling and body panels vibrating like all hell. That will get tackled next I guess.

ha told ya! without deadening in an evo its gonna sound like a nest worth of bees boning in a tin can haha. as long as it sounds good from the inside, mark it off as a job well done

ha told ya! without deadening in an evo its gonna sound like a nest worth of bees boning in a tin can haha. as long as it sounds good from the inside, mark it off as a job well done
Lol, yeah I guess you could say it sounds like that...probably.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

AWD PSI

10+ year member
Senior VIP Member
AWD PSI
SoCal
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date