Enclosures for DC Level 4 12s

Participant count
  • Participant list

n3wt
10+ year member

I'm putting 2 Dc lvl4 12s in my trunk, inverted, firing towards the back of the trunk. I will have at least half the seat down most of the time and will take out the speakers in the rear deck. I'm thinking about building 2 boxes like this:

Box Width: 19.5

Box Height: 17

Depth: 15

Wood Thickness: .75

Square Port Width: 1.75

Square Port Length 2 : 8

Volume: 1.796 ft^3

Square Port Area: 27.125

Tuned Frequency: 37.99

This is what I used to come up with that: RE Enclosure Calculator

I know 1.5ft^3 is the recommended box volume but The tuning frequency was too high at that volume while keeping 18 in^2 of port area per ft^3 of box volume.

What do you guys think? Too big of a box?

oh great.. i tried bass box 6 pro but that had too many options.. guess i'll move on to winISD.. or is there a better option for a square slot ported box?

I'd go 2ft^3 with a 33hz tuning using the specs they provide on their site. Tuning at 38hz(10hz above the fs of the woofer) is going to give you a very large peak and kill your low-end.

I wanna go with whatever would sound best for daily driven with a few db drags for fun on the weekends. I have been recommended 35-38hz with 18sq in/cu ft for the port area by corona_jeff, the guy I got the subs from. Also found 32-34hz as a recommendation for these subs on posts on this forum. I got 27 hz from the dc website but that's pretty low. I still want some trunk space for at least a briefcase/get my spare tire out hah. What do you think is a good tuning freq?

Last edited by a moderator:
32-35hz

Dr Subwoofer says 35hz is the best tuning for a box with a porthole/airhole, yet his box is tuned to 37hz or is that 38hz???

BTW that last part is a joke

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.