Enclosure Prototyping *Pics*

Wow...some of you guys are surely outrageous. I don't think I'm going to share anything on here any more. All I asked for was some people to help me test the enclosures and you jumped all over the thread calling bs and other non sense. That's just great guys, just great. Some of you are just plain jerks.

I've proven to have designed enclosures that have won both SPL and SQ...and maybe that's the reason why I still prototype for various audio companies. I'm sure some of you can do the same, but I'm pretty sure I have more experience than most.

Tuan

yep ive seen the pwk designs fail hard. bunch of bs pretty much and nuthuggers to keep it goin.
So what does Pwk designs have to do with this thread?

When ever dealing with designs there are always marginal errors. Nothing is perfect until it has been built, tested and tweaked.

I don't work with PWK btw.

I call them as I see them.
Aerodynamics tests or not. Truth be told I think you're wasting your time since all your testing is null once that enclosure is dropped into a vehicle.

Your boxes are nothing special.

I think it would be up to YOU to prove to US how your boxes somehow perform better than others. Especially at $50+ a pop for PLANS. I'm not into the fancy wording and complicated descriptions that you use all too often to make it seem like your boxes are somehow special from everyone elses, even though I've seen no evidence of such enhanced attributes.

You may be able to fool a lot of people by throwing around the word "aerodynamics" and other terminology, but the veteran audiophile is going to be a LOT more skeptical.
Tommy,

I have always respect you as a fellow competitor and a person of knowledge. But aren't you aware that the port is a tunnel or a pipe? It is. I have results of perfect port ratios. This doesn't come from theories, but rather from long and various testing. Some follow theories and some don't.

Let me give a good example: two enclosures, both have the same volume port area and port lenght...but because of the port orientation...one is louder than the other. The pito tube tests allows me to measure precisely and allow me to see the internal flow. The results also help me predict the next design I ever do. Also, the pressure test also allows me to measure the turbulence and allow me to see any leaks due to contruction. I surely don't do it for every enclosure, but every now and then.

Have any of you guys ever tested the golden ratio for a sealed enclosure? I'm sure most of you have no idea how it works. I've tested it myself to understand how it works.

Everybody has a right to be skeptical since there are so much bs information out there. I never believe anything I hear or read until I've personally tried it or tested it myself. That's the reason why I have a few audio companies paying me a good amount of money to do r&d and prototyping for them.

Tuan

Last edited by a moderator:
So what does Pwk designs have to do with this thread? When ever dealing with designs there are always marginal errors. Nothing is perfect until it has been built, tested and tweaked.

I don't work with PWK btw.
And sorry, but as I stated before, all your "testing and tweaking" to optimize the box happens in what environment? Every car that these boxes will go in to? You test your enclosures in an environment that bears absolutely no relation to the final installation, therefore, all your testing is completely null and void.

Carry on.

Tommy,I have always respect you as a fellow competitor and a person of knowledge. But aren't you that the port is a tunnel or a pipe? It is. I have results of perfect port ratios. This doesn't come from theories, but rather from long and various testing. Some follow theories and some don't.

Let me give a good example: two enclosures, both have the same volume port area and port lenght...but because of the port orientation...one is louder than the other. The pito tube tests allows me to measure precisely and allow me to see the internal flow. The results also help me predict the next design I ever do. Also, the pressure test also allows me to measure the turbulence and allow me to see any leaks due to contruction. I surely don't do it for every enclosure, but every now and then.

Have any of you guys ever tested the golden ratio for a sealed enclosure? I'm sure most of you have no idea how it works. I've tested it myself to understand how it works.

Everybody has a right to be skeptical since there are so much bs information out there. I never believe anything I hear or read until I've personally tried it or tested it myself. That's the reason why I have a few audio companies paying me a good amount of money to do r&d and prototyping for them.

Tuan
One variable as to WHY one orientation is louder than the other is the vehicle itself. One thing that you fail to test for every enclosure.

In no way, shape, or form can you predict that a certain orientation will always work right in certain applications, which is why I stated that all your turbulence tests don't really mean **** once that enclosure is dropped into a vehicle.

If you want my honest opinion, I would do your turbulence and aerodynamics tests IN the vehicle so you can actually see how the enclosure reacts in a realistic environment. Now I don't know whats all involved in your tests so I can't comment on if it's possible or not, but I feel this would give you results worth talking about and worth the time and effort.

You and I both know that the vehicle itself plays just as large of a role in a boxes performance (bandwidth, SPL, etc.) as the box itself, so why not test all variables?

One variable as to WHY one orientation is louder than the other is the vehicle itself. One thing that you fail to test for every enclosure.
In no way, shape, or form can you predict that a certain orientation will always work right in certain applications, which is why I stated that all your turbulence tests don't really mean **** once that enclosure is dropped into a vehicle.

If you want my honest opinion, I would do your turbulence and aerodynamics tests IN the vehicle so you can actually see how the enclosure reacts in a realistic environment. Now I don't know whats all involved in your tests so I can't comment on if it's possible or not, but I feel this would give you results worth talking about and worth the time and effort.

You and I both know that the vehicle itself plays just as large of a role in a boxes performance (bandwidth, SPL, etc.) as the box itself, so why not test all variables?
Stage A: Enclosure

Stage B: Environment (vehicle)

I do have many data for all sorts of vehicles. The environment is the vehicle's resonant frequency and cabin size and orientation. This is a completely different part of the design stage. As mentioned above, my testings of the pito tubes only reflects the internals.

The box internal flow has NOTHING to do with the vehicle (environment): Fluid Dynamics 101 - Flow in a Pipe. A more laminar flow profile will result in a better output...period. This is within the capabilities of the enclosure. A turbulent flow with major head loss will result in a low output no matter what environment it is in. This is 2 entirely different stages.

You fail to understand my tests and make huge assumptions without knowing any details. And you certainly underestimate my capabilities.

Tuan

And sorry, but as I stated before, all your "testing and tweaking" to optimize the box happens in what environment? Every car that these boxes will go in to? You test your enclosures in an environment that bears absolutely no relation to the final installation, therefore, all your testing is completely null and void.
Carry on.
If you're referring to SPL, yes you are correct. However, if you're referring to Sound Quality...then you are wrong...because the testings are NOT "null and void." Either way, you don't know the variables or constraints of the design...so how can you critique?

Tuan

If you're referring to SPL, yes you are correct. However, if you're referring to Sound Quality...then you are wrong...because the testings are NOT "null and void." Either way, you don't know the variables or constraints of the design...so how can you critique?
Tuan

My god do u have a life? this is a hobby.. we are not trying to launch the space shuttle... for u to take all this time and supposely pressure and flow test all these enclosure ..just confirms how many people in life really dont like u lol

My god do u have a life? this is a hobby.. we are not trying to launch the space shuttle... for u to take all this time and supposely pressure and flow test all these enclosure ..just confirms how many people in life really dont like u lol
Why criticize him for being passionate about car audio? Sure it's just a casual hobby for most, but it sounds to me like it's more than that to him. It's people like him that make advancements and breakthroughs in our casual hobby. Without car audio fanatics, we wouldn't have new designs, equipment, and techniques to play with all the time. I'm not saying he's making any breakthroughs or even doing anything new, but don't criticize him for having a passion for the hobby we all enjoy.

Isn't it "PITOT"? either way nice looking boxes get some numbers with different subs power and vehicles.... and of course prices if good it might be ideal for a "good" prefab for shops or people with no tool or construction knowledge and tools in general........

Isn't it "PITOT"? either way nice looking boxes get some numbers with different subs power and vehicles.... and of course prices if good it might be ideal for a "good" prefab for shops or people with no tool or construction knowledge and tools in general........
It is "Pitot tubes." Thanks for correcting.

Tuan

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.