EMF Audio Ermahgawd?

Still doubting the 6500 RMS claim. Not doubting that the suspension/motor can handle 6500, probably much more in the right box, but the thermal limits of a 4" coil are still ~4k clamped.

Still doubting the 6500 RMS claim. Not doubting that the suspension/motor can handle 6500, probably much more in the right box, but the thermal limits of a 4" coil are still ~4k clamped.
same, when i looked up the specs i was expecting more than a 4 inch coil.

This is why I posted this thread, I want the people who know their stuff to voice their opinion. I don't know enough to say whether or not a hulking sub like this would be any good. I just gawk at how beefy it is.

4 18's in a flat wall might be in the future if I decide to change things up over the winter.

I do wonder about that power rating as I agree that a 4" coil can only take so much. I believe the SHD is rated around that and I've seen a few of them blown recently.

4 18's in a flat wall might be in the future if I decide to change things up over the winter.
I do wonder about that power rating as I agree that a 4" coil can only take so much. I believe the SHD is rated around that and I've seen a few of them blown recently.
please keep us updated if you do that, I would love to hear how they perform

I agree, let us know.

I think it might be a quad coil, if it is, should it be able to handle 6500 rms?

honestly its not that big of a deal. the amount of power, electrical, and strength spent in a system design can be better suited for other equipment. it more than likely has a super low sensitivity, and will require huge amounts of power to generate any decent numbers. When in fact, a more sensitive driver will outperform this easily. Think about Say, 1 15" DD Z or HDC4/ Zcon. all utilize a 4" coil. they will probably be louder up to the 2.5-3k power line. well beyond that this EMF driver may be louder, but you could easily run 2 15" other 4" driver at 2.5-3k vs 1 15" that needs 5-6K just to get moving, and be louder with the latter.

I think it might be a quad coil, if it is, should it be able to handle 6500 rms?
Still do not seeing it be able to dissipate enough heat to perform at that power level for long periods, doesn't matter how many coils it has.

According to a reliable source, thermal limits of a coil can be estimated by 100W X number of layers X diameter (in inches). Anything beyond that and it's only a matter of time before it burns up. That's continuous sine wave, go to work, come home and it's still playing. I'd rather get as loud with less power with more efficient sub, but some people just like to brag about how much power they use so these inefficient subs have their place I guess.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

supereikenator

10+ year member
CarAudio.com Elite
supereikenator
Strafford, MO
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date