elemental designs

I think the idea behind it has something to do with cone size comprable to. The 9kv.2 is a 8 that is suposed to have cone area comprable to what competitors 9" subs would have...

I talked to one of the tech guys he was pretty cool... even told me another sub(FI) would have more output...at a certain wattage...so they arent so bad

Ummm... mandos, are you sure eD uses a tall surround?

13kv2_logo.gif

sub w/ tall surround...

IDSIDMAX12V3D4.jpg

one more...

M_side.jpg

I call marketing BS on this one...

Alright, so based on subs with a COMPARATIVE xmax...hell, these subs have LESS xmax than the 13Kv.2 that you posted and less cone area to boot:

RE RE 12:

480 cm² Sd

12mm xmax

JL Audio 12W3V3:

520 cm² Sd

13 mm xmax

13Kv.2:

545cm² Sd

15.1 mm xmax

So, the 13Kv.2 has more cone area than those two subs with a more conventional surround while offering more xmax.

For the subs you show that have the VERY tall surrounds:

Image Dynamics IDMAX:

545 cm² Sd

24.6 mm xmax

TC Sounds TC-3000:

452 cm² Sd(their site lists 240mm diameter = 12 cm radius^2 * PI for that #)

30 mm xmax

I'd certainly hope the drivers that are going to move 9.5+ mm farther one way will have a taller surround.

The IDMAX driver has the same cone area, and more xmax, and it has a much taller surround. That TC driver has less cone area and more xmax.

Granted, it might not quite have the same cone area as what a 13" driver with a conventional cone would be, but it's definitely got more than a conventional 12" driver with an equal xmax.

Alright, so based on subs with a COMPARATIVE xmax...hell, these subs have LESS xmax than the 13Kv.2 that you posted and less cone area to boot:
RE RE 12:

480 cm² Sd

12mm xmax

JL Audio 12W3V3:

520 cm² Sd

13 mm xmax

13Kv.2:

545cm² Sd

15.1 mm xmax

So, the 13Kv.2 has more cone area than those two subs with a more conventional surround while offering more xmax.

For the subs you show that have the VERY tall surrounds:

Image Dynamics IDMAX:

545 cm² Sd

24.6 mm xmax

TC Sounds TC-3000:

452 cm² Sd(their site lists 240mm diameter = 12 cm radius^2 * PI for that #)

30 mm xmax

I'd certainly hope the drivers that are going to move 9.5+ mm farther one way will have a taller surround.

The IDMAX driver has the same cone area, and more xmax, and it has a much taller surround. That TC driver has less cone area and more xmax.

Granted, it might not quite have the same cone area as what a 13" driver with a conventional cone would be, but it's definitely got more than a conventional 12" driver with an equal xmax.
So by that line of reasoning, the IDMAX (as well as the ID v.3) should be classified as a 13" driver, too.
But then we have a JL driver that use the 13 designation (13W6v2 -- I know, 13.5" technically)... 648 cm² Sd -- actual outside frame dia of 14", vs. 12.375" for eD '13-in.' subs.

So, JL 13" > eD 13" = ID 12" -- if the original (ID) uses the 12" designation, and the rebadge (eD) uses a 13" designation, I would call it marketing BS.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.