Elemental Designs 13Av.2 Subwoofer ??

We're talking cars...not houses...again, because it leads the eyes and ears into places where they should not be wondering to...away from what is supposed to be the 'stage'

My home sub is crossed at like 80Hz...but only because i've got the towers to back it up..

It's way too easy to localize a sub in a car crossed that high...so why do it and argue that it is amazing and should be done..when it is quite the opposite if that is your target market that really needs a higher excursion sub-woofer for their application that is crossed very low? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

It makes no sense.

I was just going to amend my statement. I would never personally cross above ~100Hz in a car because the sub does become too localizable.
And has been pointed out, Klippel through testing has found that the single most important parameter to a driver is a low and linear Le curve.
For a given criteria I'm sure. Not everyone requires the same thing from their subs. I hold low inductance in very high regard and seek it out for myself as well.

Been wrong before //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
Thanks for the info!
Indeed - he is correct, I've read the same about 4x the excursion from other sources as well. Pretty amazing it takes THAT much more.

I subscribe to this notion as well, but in a car you are sitting between the drivers in question, whereas at home you have the benefit of sitting at a great enough distance to allow the drivers which are crossed at higher points to meld by the time they have reached your ears.
When I build home gear, I cross much higher than I do in a vehicle.
Precisely //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Car audio, in a car, this is a Car Audio forum, with topics to be examined within this context. We are not talking about Sub-woofers in a multimedia setup..i've got my foot on one that is broken from JBL that died after 75Hz and played up to 5-600Hz with ease...
Go talk to every IASCA, USACi, and MECA SQ competitor with a title under their belt. $100 dollar bill with your name on it says that they are no where near 80Hz or a higher crossover point for their Subwoofer.

Why?

Because it makes the eyes and ears wonder to places where they should not be.
Funny, I had my car judged for Sq and was crossed at 80Hz high on the mids and 100Hz low on the sub, not one of them could localize the sub or tell the transition from the mid to the sub. The one judge was a professional audio guy, used to systems much better than mine or anything you would find in a car, and he could not tell where the sub was.

We're talking cars...not houses...again, because it leads the eyes and ears into places where they should not be wondering to...away from what is supposed to be the 'stage'
My home sub is crossed at like 80Hz...but only because i've got the towers to back it up..

It's way too easy to localize a sub in a car crossed that high...so why do it and argue that it is amazing and should be done..when it is quite the opposite if that is your target market that really needs a higher excursion sub-woofer for their application that is crossed very low? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

It makes no sense.
Again, with a low distortion sub you can cross up to ~80-100Hz and not be able to localize it, that's the point. I can't localize mine neither could SQ judges. The big thing for me too is that I can't fit or have the skill to make a large 8-10" fit in my doors for a 3 way set up, so it is a world of compromises, lol.

What I'm finding ironic at this moment is that I cross around 35hz to 55hz grossly depending on the drivers used up front and the intended performance at a given output (not necessarily high output), yet I still look for the absolute lowest inductance figure possible. I do this so that the frequency/phase behavior is predictable in the crossover region between it and the midbass drivers. Sometimes I use shallow slopes and this is crucial for that.

What I'm finding ironic at this moment is that I cross around 35hz to 55hz grossly depending on the drivers used up front and the intended performance at a given output (not necessarily high output), yet I still look for the absolute lowest inductance figure possible. I do this so that the frequency/phase behavior is predictable in the crossover region between it and the midbass drivers. Sometimes I use shallow slopes and this is crucial for that.
Very, every driver design is a study in compromises as is every full system design. I think this is something that NDMStang would agree with me on //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Very, every driver design is a study in compromises as is every full system design. I think this is something that even NDMStang would agree on.
Well, let's not go too far! We can't have a situation that allows for people to agree because then we couldn't call each other fags. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif

Surely I jest.

Exactly how much of that inductance shift/change can you hear?Science is science, but if you can't hear it and it is not audible...wouldn't it be smoke and mirrors?
It depends on a lot of things, not just the bandwidth, but the power and the amount of change in the system.

In terms of bandwidth, classical/traditional crossover filter theory suggests a self-inductance F3 at least one octave above your bandwidth of interest. For a 3.5 Ohm DCR at 100 Hz, that would be 2.75 mH. Ideally you should have an inductance lower than that, and many long voice coil drivers are considerably higher (see our old Mag’s, Q’s, etc).

In terms of linearity versus stroke and power (both of which need to be considered, as inductance changes with both variables), Klippel suggests that inductance changes of more than 50% are audible issue, for any bandwidth system. Is it necessarily a bad sounding effect? Depends upon how accurate you like your audio reproduction. I used to think our v3 Mag’s sounded pretty darned good. But then I started using a Brahma instead of our Mag’s for HT duty and then I couldn’t get the v4 prototype out of my car for some odd reason.

I see very few people advocating greater nonlinearity and higher levels of distortion as the best way to achieve sound quality. If you are only looking for maximum output or power handling, then I agree concerns of inductance are moot. But then again, my drivers aren't intended for maximum output or power handling, but rather sound quality.

drop an octave excursion has to double to have the same amount of output
That's actually wrong; a drop of an octave requires FOUR times the stroke to maintain the same output. *edit* I now see this has been addressed already on the previous page.

But to the larger concern of stroke... Is your hypothetical 14mm suitable? For the vast majority of people, it is. Think about just 12 years ago - the highest stroke subwoofers on the market were lucky to reach 10mm, and there was no shortage of great sounding vehicles back then. Some vehicles which are still considered high-water marks used drivers with less than 10mm of stroke, let alone 14mm.

But again, it depends upon what you want to accomplish; if you just want the loudest thump-bucket out there, then go ahead and buy the biggest magnet, the biggest diameter, longest wind length voice coil and hit it with 3 kW and enjoy your 145+ dB.

If you're looking for quality sound at a more realistic listening level, then 14-20mm is more than adequate for your situation.

And realize that for many people, a 60 pound driver that is 10" deep is un-usable for their application. Smaller, shallower, lower weight drivers that sound very accurate and work great to generate 125-130 dB SPL (which is what you can get with a 12" woofer moving about 13-14mm one way). Albeit, this isn’t for everyone, but neither is a 27+mm monster that weighs 60+ lbs.

but it plays flat from 35-300Hz..what good is that in a Subwoofer when you are playing organist music that is in the >35Hz range?
I assume you mean

To generate an audible signal at 20 Hz, the Fletcher Munson curve and info tells us we need around 110 dB SPL to be perceived as "equally loud" as 85 dB at 1k Hz (which is quite loud – the 85 dB at 1k Hz, that is). Given the 25-28 dB boost a typical car has at 20 Hz, we need a transducer that can generate 85 dB SPL at 20 Hz. A 12" piston only needs to move less than 10mm one way to do so. So how would a 14-16mm driver result in "inaudible" bass at 20 Hz? How would it not be capable of reproducing less than 35 Hz? It doesn't. It may not win you SPL competitions, but for a wide section of the market, it's more than useful. Be careful to not project your own desires upon the entire car audio crowd; it may not work for your situation, but I bet that there is little that Scott Buwalda and Alan Dante would agree on in what a subwoofer needs, but both would be 100% correct for their own applications.

Yes you are hitting low-inductance straight on the head, but that is only one pepperoni to the whole pizza pie.
As is stroke, which you are hitting. Here's the deal, though - if you're going after sound quality, then inductance is ALL the pepperoni. Stroke is just one piece of onion, and power handling is a small piece of sausage.

If you're after SPL, then inductance becomes that piece of onion, power handling is the crust and pepperoni, and stroke is the cheese and everything else.

But, your mids should be picking up the pace after 56Hz or so anyhow...but you are a true God of Sound Quality...why am I even telling you that?
That depends upon your application. In my car, it actually blends and sounds best with a crossover above 80 Hz (my x-over is set at 95 Hz now), and every install is different. Not everyone has capable 6.5’s that are able to reach down to 50/60 Hz at the levels they desire. That's why making a blanket statement like "inductance doesn't matter for subwoofers" is dangerous; in fact, it can matter a LOT.

At the same time, making a statement like "lower inductance is usually a good thing in terms of linearity and THD" is always valid; you have to decide if linearity and low THD are important to YOU, but a low inductance will always help with that. It isn’t for everyone because everyone’s goals, applications, and desires are different.

Are we gonna get another Nick vs. Nick war here? lol

I agree with both sides of this to be honest, it is 100% application dependent and if you find what you like, go with it, don't listen to anyone else.

I know the AE Speakers AV series does both of these feats well, 20+ MM of one way excursion with inductance lower than most mid range drivers, pretty impressive beasts IMO.

Geez man, didn't you know? That's what we do here.
But... but... it has lower inductance. And... and... that means it's better. Ya... that's it, better....

What? That driver has 1mm less Xmax than this one? It's INFERIOR!!!

That sub is weak because it only has N42 neo magnets. N52 is CLEARLY SUPERIOR...

My sub rulz cuz it has a 3" coil...
You should head over to ecoustics where they can tell what grade of magnet you use based on videos to prove output. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.