Elemental Designs 13Av.2 Subwoofer ??

Obviously, but if it can take rated power and more why build it to handle 3kw when you don't need or want it to?
Ever had a loose nut behind a volume knob? Ever had somebody turn a 2.75" long 8 layer flat wound aluminum coil completely white with a Kicker 1000 watt amp?

That's why. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

It's called not wanting something back on your doorstep for repair work.

Think outside the box.
Nice cliche there //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif But since we are talking about subwoofers here wouldn't we want to think inside the box? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Just wanted to ask as well, did you take a look at the Klippel poster I linked to? Has some pretty cool info in it.

I guess at the end of the day, no matter how many arguments are made and what science is trotted out, it comes down to personal preference, as long as you are happy with how it sounds fuck the rest //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

I guess at the end of the day, no matter how many arguments are made and what science is trotted out, it comes down to personal preference, as long as you are happy with how it sounds fuck the rest //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
Music is life..

Regardless of the smoke, mirrors, and technical ********.

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

I'll take my little crappy 3 way setup

Nice cliche there //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif But since we are talking about subwoofers here wouldn't we want to think inside the box? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
Just wanted to ask as well, did you take a look at the Klippel poster I linked to? Has some pretty cool info in it.
Yeah actually looked at it

Klippel is awesome, very cool individual....speaking with him helped us figure our spectral vibrometry machine out //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Music is life..
Regardless of the smoke, mirrors, and technical ********.

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

I'll take my little crappy 3 way setup
Yay, we agree on something!! //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

So if power is a consideration, shouldn't things be overbuilt? Why rate a very short 4 layer coil at a point where it is about to fail, instead of including wiggle room for the end user to be foolish?
If you would like to come and see how we power test our MAGs, you're more than welcome. I know many who can attest that they will take what we rate.

So why not over-build drivers to take 2x the power as targeted? You lose the efficiency / goals of your subwoofer for one. Adding extra turns, height, extra “wiggle room”, etc, for user abuse is fine if you don’t mind compromising the goal of the speaker system unless that is one of the goals. I don’t like cutting corners on a design just so the speaker holds up with twice the amount of power as the speaker is rated for. My market isn’t your market.

4ohm coil, Inductance at 6, 4, and 2 millihenries respectively. Note the red arrow where your inductance is starting to become an issue and causing your impedance rise starting to cause your response roll off. According to your math that is not possible, but according to that plot you are still out of the frequency range that it matters in a subwoofer.
Then you don't follow, maybe I wasn't clear. You typically want your frequency response to be flat for 1 octave beyond the crossover point, so that the crossover - and not the speaker - dictates the rate at which the response attenuates.

Now, simple first year college physics tells us that the impedance of an inductor in Ohms is 2 times pi times frequency times the inductance in Henries. Or, Z = 2 * pi * f * L.

We also know from basic physics that Ohm's law (V=IR) and Kirchkoff's Voltage Law (the sum of all voltages around a loop must be zero) that we can do a voltage divider with the Re of the voice coil and the Z(Le) (that is, the impedance from the inductive portion) of the voice coil; when these two values are the same, then we will have a 3 dB attenuation in output - we are at the corner.

Now, solve the above equation for F, in terms of Z (which will be Re) and L:

F = Z / (2 * pi * L)

Plug in 3.5 Ohms for Z, and then vary L to get your f! I'll leave it to the reader to determine the value of L that give an F of 160 Hz...

Anyway, let's look at some outputs of frequency for a typical driver, in a typical box, with a variety of inductance values (this was done with a copy of LspCAD Pro 5.10 with nonlinear modeling turned on):

ImpactOfInductanceOnFR.jpg

We see that - as inductance increases, the output really starts to change. The F3 of 1 mH is 550 Hz; the F3 of 3 mH is 160 Hz; the F3 of 5 mH is 130 Hz! Meaning that depending upon the crossover point we could have an issue with frequency response.

Note too the big peaking you get; all are in the EXACT same box, with the exact same (save Le) T/S parameters! Clearly the FR of the driver is seriously impacted by the inductance.

FURTHERMORE, as anyone who understands Fourier Theory (that time and frequency domains are dualities of the same data set), take a look at the impulse response for two of the drivers (Le = 1 mH and Le = 5 mH):

ImpulseResponseComparison.png

Now, the ONLY thing changed was inductance; which driver settles down faster, which one has the better transient response? This is the transient response IN BOX; it includes the effect of the low end filter created by the box. I'll leave it for the reader to conclude which one settles faster, but the answer is clear.

Right, but there is a huge following of people who do not like a woofer that is 'flat', for extenuating circumstances that are outside of what may or may not be 'right' according to laws of perceived 'SQ' and that quest for a 'ruler flat response'.
Great - and for them (and you) - DO NOT BUY THE MAG!! It's that simple! Not everyone wants the same driver; find the driver that matters for you! Would you tell people who do want flat to only buy high inductance, long settle time drivers?

But I don't think that anyone who is concerned with high SQ value will discount the value of a low inductance driver. In fact, that's one of the things most of the high end home audio drivers shoot for - a low and linear inductance.

As far as a woofer, my personal tastes are not with xbl^2.
XBL^2 isn't the only way to get low inductance. It's just one of the side effects of the motor design, but it's not the only way to get there! Shorting rings, shorting coils, sleeves, and just plain small underhung coils work too...

If you want to debate the merits of XBL^2 versus other drivers - IN A GIVEN CONTEXT - I'm more than willing. If you want to debate the merits of lower inductance - IN A GIVEN CONTEXT - I'm more than willing. But you can't peanut-butter every driver like you’re doing here.

Many people (on here as well as other places) agree as well, as it is like putting ketchup on an Oreo to them.
OK, and many people disagree. See, that's what makes car audio fun – there are differences of preference. NO WHERE have I stated that you must – no matter what - buy a low inductance, XBL^2 driver. Yet you seem to want to state that a low inductance, XBL^2 driver will never work as a car audio subwoofer! It may not work for you, but it works for me. And we'll both find plenty of people to agree with us.

Leave the holy wars out of it; understand and accept that your solution is not the valid solution for everybody, and I'll do the same.

Not talking about non-linearity's, just inductance right now. That's what the spectral vibrometry machine is for.
Except that inductance IS a non-linear value! Please see Klippel at al; inductance VARIES with position AND power. It's a 4 dimensional function (magnitude, position, frequency, power). You CANNOT talk about inductance without talking about it being a non-linear value, unless you want to keep this at a grossly inaccurate and first grade level (also, how does a spectral vibrometry machine determine inductance versus position and power?)

You can't expect to attempt to tailor to a group of people (mainly the internet market) and pray to whatever god you pray to and hope that know what they are doing.
Isn't that what marketing is? Isn't that what EVERY SINGLE COMPANY tries to do? Tailor a product that will be acceptable and useful for a segment of the market that they are interested in? Are you saying that products are designed simply at random, and whatever sticks to the market is the winner?

If so, that's a very interesting viewpoint of product design and development.

But what are the drawbacks for getting hung up on it? Less thermal mass, less room for wiggle, and FAR less room for 'oops' on a volume knob, gain, or subsonic filter.
Sometimes yes, sometimes no... And it means - what I have said a dozen times (PLEASE try to get it this time): no driver is suitable for everybody! If you have to have the loudest, biggest power handling thing out there, then screw the inductance! It doesn't matter.

BUT, if you want accurate and flat output, you are fine with 130-135 dB SPL, you care about extreme sound quality, then low and linear inductance becomes a definite issue.

Again, you're trying to take your set of criteria and apply it to the entire marketplace; that is completely invalid. You can’t do that, and I can’t do that! There are different segments within the market who have different needs, and will either value or ignore high power handling, just like they value or ignore inductance. If you cannot agree to this then this thread might as well be locked - there will never be any agreement.

Regardless, at 60Hz and 7mm of excursion you must be at 28mm of excursion at 30Hz to have the same level of output.which only makes the discussion stronger.
You're making excursion statements in the absence of output! As I showed earlier, you only need 7mm one way from a 12" driver to reach 110 dB SPL at 20 Hz in a car. For a vast segment of the car audio market, that's a LOT of output. So if my driver can do 14mm at 20 Hz (113 dB SPL), then it's plenty for quite a good chunk of the market.

7" mid-woofer sitting beside me that does 12mm linear.within 2.2dBa +/- from 70-2500Hz.the days of no excursion are far over. Doesn't seem to have an inductance issue either.
Yep, they've been around for 5 years. I believe Wiggins was selling things like that back in 2004. ScanSpeak's been selling 7-8mm one way, low inductance drivers for about 20 years (the old 8545 for example).

What about Infinite Baffle? Is that not an "SQ" application? Where excursion reigns supreme?
How loud do you need for SQ? Seriously, give me a number. And then we can talk about what's needed for excursion. Give me the number first, and we'll go from there. The results will really surprise you...

Who said it has to be 10" deep and weigh 60+ pounds?
OK, name a driver that can handle 3 kW in an SPL competition and that is less than 4.5" deep and weighs under 18 pounds.

See, not everyone has the exact same needs and desires as you. And I can tell you (and I'm sure many other manufacturers can tell you) that with a certain segment of the market, if it's NOT 10" deep and it DOESN'T weigh 60 pounds, then it's crap. For a segment (unfortunately, fairly large) of the market, weight means "it'll quad and give great Hz and mad DeeBeez" (everyone reading this has seen the threads). Lightweight and shallow is a negative for them. Big heavy drivers are where it’s at.

I understand that. I recognize there are lots of needs and desires in the market, and I try to work on a smaller market niche. That niche is concerned with size, weight, and inductance.

...had to split this puppy up to fit on here. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Cool. Plot the graphs of the true in-Car response from 15Hz-20kHz.Or should we just do an RTA? It will tell you everything that you need to know and see if/when you do run out of gas on the bottom end.
Already have:

RTA4.jpg

That is an RTA from the XTZ Room Analyzer with calibrated microphone in the driver side listening position in a Lexus SC400 with zero EQ work. The graph ranges from 16Hz to 20 kHz. Apparently you CAN get to below 20 Hz with that "limited" excursion driver! Hey, guess what - your headphones can do 10 Hz, too with just a fraction of a mm of linear stroke!

So it must be at 110dBa at 15Hz to be as "apparently as loud" as 85dBa at 1kHz? But isn't that not flat??
You don't quite understand F-M curves, do you? They are for pure tone perception if you were doing a sine sweep. For music, they do not apply as much because of the broad and thick spectral content; in that case you do want a flat frequency response. And in that case, I can reach 110 dB SPL (which many people would consider loud - not you, but again understand that you (Nick) are NOT the entire car audio market) with ease.

Sub-20Hz frequencies.the human ear can not 'hear'.
Nope, you are wrong. Please see the Robson-Dadson curves that plot audibility down to 10 Hz. Furthermore there was a lot of research into audibility into the 3 Hz range (by I believe Tom Danley, of all people). It takes about 130 dB for you to "hear" it but you can.

There IS no lower limit on frequency response audibility. There is a limit for a given SPL, however.

For those of you who want to learn or read more on the subject you might want to check out "Infrasound and Low Frequency Vibration" edited by W. Tempest, published by Academic press. Or the classical 1967 paper on the audibility of infrasound by humans by Michael Yeawart (1967). Or the article on how humans can hear infrasound (sound below 20 Hz).

I said it will roll off very quickly on the south end if you do not have enough coil there to make the thing move.
Please tell me the function (independent of SPL) that relates stroke to bandwidth. There isn't such a function!

For a given stroke, I may or may not be able to reach 15 Hz at a given SPL! You CANNOT talk bandwidth limitations and stroke WITHOUT talking SPL. We know that 7mm is all that's needed (at most) to reach 110+ dB SPL in a car at 20 Hz. For a VAST majority of the general public - and a large segment of the car audio buying public - that would be more than loud enough!

So again, you're making the mistake of trying to relate stroke to bandwidth while ignoring output. You CANNOT do it! It's flat out wrong.

As a matter of fact ask Mr. Budwala what woofer he is running.
Then maybe Mr. Clark would be a better comparison. And if anything it further shows that there are a dozen million ways to skin the cat; would you at least agree to that, and that for some people your requirements are immaterial?

I said, a short, 4 layer coil. Will not take as much power as a long, 4 layer coil.
If it takes more power than you need it to take, who cares? If you have 500W for your sub, are you going to be pissed off because your subwoofer "only handles" 1 kW, and not 10 kW? Again, you're making broad assumptions that your solution is the only solution on the market. But given your ideas towards market development, that's not much of a shock.

Bose301s posted: I guess at the end of the day, no matter how many arguments are made and what science is trotted out, it comes down to personal preference, as long as you are happy with how it sounds **** the rest
EXACTLY! For some people, power handling is the end-all/be-all of a subwoofer. For others, it's linear inductance. Getting a hard-on because someone prefers what you don't is immature at best...

David Edwards posted: wow...just wow....lol
Hi David! Can you tell us what driver Scott ran? Just curious, I guess I'm not up to speed on what he's running in the car now...

I'm not spending another 3 hours reading through your regurgitated idioms...seems like a high school history class test day in here or something..

http://hypertextbook.com/facts/2003/ChrisDAmbrose.shtml

20Hz-20kHz...

If you are "hearing" anything it is from outside events that do not involve the speaker actually making the sound itself. You can lay an elephant out cold at 300 yards with a 10Hz blast...

You may shat yourself, but you won't hear it...you will feel it, and you will perceive it in different ways. But you will not hear it with your ears. Just because a speaker is flopping around at 1Hz..does not mean that you are actually hearing..1Hz. You are hearing mechanical flapping and other noises making you THINK that you are hearing..1Hz. After the point of 20Hz the fluid around your brain starts to fluctuate..and things start to happen.

Outside of that I can not and will not discuss anymore, as it is classified ITAR restricted information. (Link just in case you do not know what ITAR is http://epic.org/crypto/export_controls/itar.html )

For the record, Mr. Budwala is running a quad coil Q..with a long coil..and horrid inductance by your definition that can't possibly sound good.

Have fun //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

For the record, who could honestly give a **** what Buwalda is running in anything? What type of an argument is that?

The right system can use subwoofers in the rear well beyond, say, 60 Hz without the sound stage being drawn to the rear.

I think it is wise of SI to have done exactly what they've done. I really don't care that it doesn't handle as much power; that is a worthy trade off for extended bandwidth and lower distortion so long as you can achieve a realistic level of output, either with a single or several. The thin mounting depth means you can start looking at ways of even moving it up front if you are so capable.

Speakers are meant to reproduce music accurately. That's the bottom line. I agree that you can use filters to restrict your bandwidth if you so choose, but an accurate speaker with extended bandwidth is nothing to be chastised.

I must say also that the way something sounds is not a function of its topology, but of its cumulative design. As has always been the case, talk of all XBL^2 drivers sounding "hollow" is utter and complete BS.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.