electrical upgrade in 05 GT

DbRufus1234
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
i have an 05 mustang GT and i went to my local shop today to see how much they would charge to run amp wires, because i dont know if i want to do it because i have never ran wires in a car, just truck and SUVs, and i dont know how hard it will be to get the wires into the trunk anyway...me and the shop guy start talkin and i tell him i am gonna bring my own stuff, and he asked what it was and i said a RE SX and a hifonics BXi1206 and he starts dissin on RE which made me pretty mad because he has never heard of the company and is sayin there stuff *****... but he ends up tellin me if i put a 1200 watt amp in my mustang i will need a new alternator because my stock one was only 75 amps, i said b/s, but i was gonna run it by you guys and see what yall thought. TIA

That claim about the alt is bs.

The alt is a Visteon, 135 amps max/82 amps idle

If you do the big 3 you should be fine. If not then, with another battery you would for sure.

135 amp alt should handle 1200 watts.

I have an 00 rustang 3.8 with a stock alt which is 130 I believe. Yellowtop under the hood, big three with 4 gauge, and approx 1000-1200watts. Completely fine, maybe some very slight dimming with songs with too much boosted bass when I really turn it up.

Not to mention a component amp pushing 200+ watts.

I'm sure the '05 Mustang is much different than my '03 but I wouldn't pay anyone to run the wires in it. I ran some 1/0 from the battery to the trunk in my '03 Stang behind panels and out of sight in about 20 minutes. If you got about an hour to set aside and some basic tools it is very easy to do yourself and save some money.

I also agree your stock alt is fine. Do the Big 3 and you should have little voltage drops.

That is my dillemma(sp). Still have stock alt, and battery, but did the big 3. Running a Jl 500/1 & Alpine f450 and my lights still dim. Not as much as before I did big 3, but still noticeable. Leaning towards a yellow top.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.