Electrical Question

He's only running 1000 watts on a 130 amp alt. No big 3 necessary. I've run 1200-1500 watts on 3 different cars with just a 4 gauge amp kit and never had an issue. Running 1200 right now on a 105 amp alt for 2 years now. No issues. When he wants to start running past 2k he can start looking into HO alt and the big 3 and all that....

He's only running 1000 watts on a 130 amp alt. No big 3 necessary. I've run 1200-1500 watts on 3 different cars with just a 4 gauge amp kit and never had an issue. Running 1200 right now on a 105 amp alt for 2 years now. No issues. When he wants to start running past 2k he can start looking into HO alt and the big 3 and all that....

What was your voltage drop?

i ran a sundown 1500 and then an aq1200 in the wife's '06 cobalt. Full tilt on low stuff it would dim pretty badly. That was totally stock electrical since she never played it that loud...

You don't need an HO alt for 1200watts, BIG3 and possibly a 2nd batt in back depending upon how loud/long you play it.

i ran a sundown 1500 and then an aq1200 in the wife's '06 cobalt. Full tilt on low stuff it would dim pretty badly. That was totally stock electrical since she never played it that loud...
You don't need an HO alt for 1200watts, BIG3 and possibly a 2nd batt in back depending upon how loud/long you play it.
That cobalt should have a 130 amp alt. h3ll I run my 2k with stock batt and a 102ah batt no big 3. I don't drop more than .5 really

With the alternator he already has I would just do the big 3 and be done. It's so cheap to do yourself there is never a good reason not to. The capacitors designed into the amp will most likely take care of the transient or dynamic passages in the music he is playing. If he does run into voltage drop then he already has the big 3 done and he can just run 2 more cables for the additional battery if needed. I doubt he will need it with 1 1000 watt amp though.

With the alternator he already has I would just do the big 3 and be done. It's so cheap to do yourself there is never a good reason not to. The capacitors designed into the amp will most likely take care of the transient or dynamic passages in the music he is playing. If he does run into voltage drop then he already has the big 3 done and he can just run 2 more cables for the additional battery if needed. I doubt he will need it with 1 1000 watt amp though.
Our batts are in the trunk and the alt is a b!tch to get off. Have to take off wheel and fender fml. I skipped it after failed attemp to remove the alt. you should be fine on 1k with stock batt op. pm me of you have any questions about your cobalt.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.