What to upgrade to!?!?

SilentAssasin
10+ year member

Iowa
Hey guys, had a couple questions regarding my system. I currently only have 2 12" kicker cvrs in my yukon denali. I know i have TONS of room for improvement! I am just not very pleased with the spl im getting in my big suv with these lil guys! I know this will bring up ALOT of different opinions! lol since people are very opinionated on these forums, which is a good thing! but, i have been considering upgrading my setup to 2 15" kicker L7s, i can get the setup for $500 with a descent amp to push them for now!.....so i guess my question is should i upgrade to the L7s are they as good or as bad as people claim they are?!?!?....will they give me the spl i am looking for in my Yukon? or should i totally look elsewhere??? ....And i know i have read forums for hours and see alot of people saying screw kicker,alpine,jl n go for Sundowns or DC's or Audioque, now im pretty much a noob to all those brands! i know there is alot of smaller name brands that put out good quality systems!...now keep in mind i am NOT competing, just a street system. Everyones opinion would help me out TONS! ....i would like to try n keep my price under $1,000 for subs and amp so nothing real crazy! and if you suggest sundown dc any of those, what models too please! Thanks guys :stuck:

People say the newer Kicker are bad, even the L7s. Haven't really had experience with the newer ones but the older ones are definitely good. How much power are you trying to push to the subs anyway? This might narrow down your choices better, especially considering sub models. Since you said 2 L7s i'm guessing around 1500-2000watts are what you plan on running to the subs?

Hey, thanks for the quick reply!... I am thinking about 2,000 watts, for now anyways! that is something else im looking into, i want to upgrade to a HO alternator n big 3 all that good stuff just to be safe before spending alotta money on a system that only cuts out my electrical system in my truck! any suggestions on that?...

With 2k a ho is not absolutely nessissary. Do big 3 and run 0g. Get a second big batt for back. If your thinking of a 2k amp, I'd check out some ab xfl 12s and 15s if you can fit them

Yeah he'd probably be alright with running 2k on that alt. As long as he does the big 3 and doesn't buy a power hog amp. Try and get a nicer amp OP. They run more efficiently and won't be such a drag on your electrical.

What's the stock alt's idle/max output? You'll def need a 100ah batt along with doing the big 3.

Also, are you set on getting kicker subs, or are you open to something else? 2k rms total, I see sundown SA's, Obsidian OA's, Skar VVX's, AB xfl's, DC lvl 3's, FLXX FA's, and many more working for your app. Choosing the sub should come later though. You need to find out how much airspace you plan to lose for the enclosure. That will tell us what subwoofer would work best in said enclosure.

No im not not set just on Kicker, i really dont know much about all the other brands like whats good and whats not! i know i have heard kickers solobarics and been very impressed! i have always heard they were built strong and last a long time if not abused, but i am TOTALLY open to any other sub that is worth my money! im always down for saving money but at the same time giving me the SPL i am looking for! ...room is not a problem i have a 99 yukon denali with no 3rd row seating, so i have the whole back of my truck for a system! and its not my every day driver so cargo space is not needed! //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/peace.gif.2db28b618ed8d1964ebbe2f5021d2c39.gif

i had a tahoe the stock alt is pretty much crap.i have a 175 amp that should fit i'd sell you if you like .i'd go with either some ab xfl 15's or a couple of dc lvl 3 15's or maybe even an 18 or 2as far as amp i could prolly set you up with a new one too as well as the woofers

What's the stock alt's idle/max output? You'll def need a 100ah batt along with doing the big 3.
Also, are you set on getting kicker subs, or are you open to something else? 2k rms total, I see sundown SA's, Obsidian OA's, Skar VVX's, AB xfl's, DC lvl 3's, FLXX FA's, and many more working for your app. Choosing the sub should come later though. You need to find out how much airspace you plan to lose for the enclosure. That will tell us what subwoofer would work best in said enclosure.
Also im not sure what my stock alts amprdge, iv looked online and some people say 105 some others say around 130 ....it is the denali so it has all the extra fancy electrical stuff that makes me think it would make it bigger then a 105....but im not sure! i figured jus upgrade to a HO one before even considering throwing 2,000 watts back there...what do you think?

Also im not sure what my stock alts amprdge, iv looked online and some people say 105 some others say around 130 ....it is the denali so it has all the extra fancy electrical stuff that makes me think it would make it bigger then a 105....but im not sure! i figured jus upgrade to a HO one before even considering throwing 2,000 watts back there...what do you think?
It wouldn't hurt to get a H/O alt but with the 130a, I'm sure you'll be fine. Just do the big 3 and add a 100ah+ AGM battery.

If I were you, I'd do 2 15's or 18's in a larger enclosure using the Fi Q or SSD subs or subs close to those TSPs.

i had a tahoe the stock alt is pretty much crap.i have a 175 amp that should fit i'd sell you if you like .i'd go with either some ab xfl 15's or a couple of dc lvl 3 15's or maybe even an 18 or 2as far as amp i could prolly set you up with a new one too as well as the woofers
Thanks man, i think i would want to go with atleast a 200-250 at lowest, but as far as the subs what kinda prices am i looking at for the DCs?? ....will they hit just as hard or harder then the L7s? ...What about the level 4s? ....are they alot more expensive then the level 3s? ..//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/confused.gif.e820e0216602db4765798ac39d28caa9.gif

I say two oa 18's and call it a day oa sundown and skar I heard are all made by sundown and oa is the best bang for the buck and they make the 18's on the entry level stuff going from 2 12's to 2 18's was a hugeeee night and day difference for me

I say two oa 18's and call it a day oa sundown and skar I heard are all made by sundown and oa is the best bang for the buck and they make the 18's on the entry level stuff going from 2 12's to 2 18's was a hugeeee night and day difference for me
No, they're not. Well of course it was a huge difference, look at the cone area you gained

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.