electrical noise problem

Participant count
  • Participant list

blowthemup
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
Not sure if I have always had it, but if I have i'm now only noticing. Turn my volume all the way down while the car is off and I can hear a quiet electrical whine coming from the subwoofer cone. I can gently push on the cone and the noise will change but not go away. Turn the radio and amps off it goes away so I think my amp is just picking up some noise somewhere and then amplifying it through the subwoofer. Another thing I recently noticed is my high output alternator is making a very similar electrical whining noise as the subwoofer. I know its the alternator cause I remove its cable from the front battery and it stops. Alternator even makes the noise when the car is completely off. Could these two sources of noise be related? I was suppose to make a ground cable for my alternator but never got around to it, would grounding my alternator with some 0gauge fix my problem? Also the RCAs and power wires are on separate sides of the car so I doubt thats it but I will double check the radio and RCAs and how there ran just to make sure.

sounds like you have a bad alt.

but i don't get it, you should not hear anything when off at the alt.

the main thing that makes noise are the bearings.

have you done the big 3 upgrade?

You really think the alternator is going bad? Big 3 is done also. The noise doesn't get louder with volume or engine rpm. I can only hear it with he volume all the way down.

What radio do you have? My Jvc just started doing the same thing. It's that rca fuse. Ground a wire from the rca to the body of the radio and see if it goes away

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Pioneer is supposedly famous for that Pico fuse blowing. Try the wire to the rca then to the body of the radio trick. If it goes away that's the problem. If not then maybe a bad rca

You really think the alternator is going bad? Big 3 is done also. The noise doesn't get louder with volume or engine rpm. I can only hear it with he volume all the way down.
well if it does not get louder with volume then i would say maybe not.

Any luck?
Im in the process of removing my substage and moving my mids/highs amp to a different location. Im getting a new enclosure and bigger amplifier so everythings being moved around right now. Im also going over to a active setup and ditching my passive filters. Already grounded the headunit and rcas directly to the metal dash though. Just working on some wiring from moving things and switching to active.

Im in the process of removing my substage and moving my mids/highs amp to a different location. Im getting a new enclosure and bigger amplifier so everythings being moved around right now. Im also going over to a active setup and ditching my passive filters. Already grounded the headunit and rcas directly to the metal dash though. Just working on some wiring from moving things and switching to active.
Did grounding the rca to the radio get rid of the noise? And running active is the only way to go.

Did grounding the rca to the radio get rid of the noise? And running active is the only way to go.
Ya know I should of checked it before removing my amp and sub but im not too concerned with the sub stage not being in there right now. Front stage sound great and I cant hear anything through the tweets or mids so ill worry about it if it comes back when the the sub sage goes back in.

My alternator is still buzzing, I emailed Singer about it so ill see what he has to say about it.

I should have went active a long time ago, it sounds so much better now and ive hardly spent much time tweaking. I can tell a difference between my driver and passenger door to which I couldn't when passive. My passenger door is deadened and my driver door isnt.

Got everything back in and playing. Grounding the headuint and rcas didnt get rid of the noise.

Got everything back in and playing. Grounding the headuint and rcas didnt get rid of the noise.
The trick to that is just touching the outside of the rca(metal shield) then touch the other end of the wire to the cage the radio is in. If that's what you did it might just be bad rcas

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.