DVC with only one coil hooked up?

Beatin'
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
MI
There is no ill effects from having only one coil from a DVC sub hooked up right?

I want to get two DVC subs that have 4ohm coils and use both subs, but only connect one coil from each sub into my monoblock to get a 2ohm load. Later on when I get an amp that is 1ohm stable, I will rewire the subs to get a 1ohm load using all 4 coils.

There's apparently some myth/truth going around saying this will damage your subs or something like that and would want to know what's going on before I start spending.

It changes the ts parameters of the sub when you are only using one coil.

It's not bad for the woofer but it wont function properly and gives it a peaky response.

I would personally run either just one sub, if they are in separate boxes that is, or run both wired at 4ohms.

There is no ill effects from having only one coil from a DVC sub hooked up right?
I want to get two DVC subs that have 4ohm coils and use both subs' date=' but only connect one coil from each sub into my monoblock to get a 2ohm load. Later on when I get an amp that is 1ohm stable, I will rewire the subs to get a 1ohm load using all 4 coils.

There's apparently some myth/truth going around saying this will damage your subs or something like that and would want to know what's going on before I start spending.[/quote']

Unless u have a blown coil just a dumb idea... Run 1 or run at 4 ohms till u get a new amp

I'd just run one sub at two ohms, maybe switch them out every two weeks so when you do get a 1 ohm stable amp, you don't have one loose sub and one stiff sub.

Remeber a 400wrms DVC sub will be 200wrms per coil.
I don't think they work like that.

I've read somewhere that the rating is thermal. Meaning whether the 400wrms is divided between two coils or all in one, that's what the coil structure can handle before the heat destroys it. If one coil is taking 400wrms and the other isn't working, the coil structure will act as if both were taking 200wrms each because the heat will dissipate from the working coil to the non-working coil. The non-working coil acts like a heat sink.

I've read somewhere that the rating is thermal. Meaning whether the 400wrms is divided between two coils or all in one' date=' that's what the coil structure can handle before the heat destroys it. If one coil is taking 400wrms and the other isn't working, the coil structure will act as if both were taking 200wrms each because the heat will dissipate from the working coil to the non-working coil. The non-working coil acts like a heat sink.[/quote']

it doesnt work like that, got to remember the leads also... do what you want but if you blow the subs its your fault and we told you so.

I've read somewhere that the rating is thermal. Meaning whether the 400wrms is divided between two coils or all in one' date=' that's what the coil structure can handle before the heat destroys it. If one coil is taking 400wrms and the other isn't working, the coil structure will act as if both were taking 200wrms each because the heat will dissipate from the working coil to the non-working coil. The non-working coil acts like a heat sink.[/quote']

Why are you going to come on the site, ask for help just so when you get it you can ignore it. Either do your own independent research and solve your own problem, or let us help you.

When a sub is DVC, it has TWO SEPERATE COILS, if you could run one coil and it use both coils EVERY sub would be DVC because there would be no use for SVC subs.

well hell, might as well buy two SVC 2ohm subs and not use them until I get a 1ohm stable amp.

But seriously what is it with this DVC crap? A DVC 4ohm by itself, according to you guys, can only by ran at 8ohm or 2ohm, but not 4ohm because that would be using only one coil. Then why the hell do these DVC subs exist? Isn't the whole point to have different wiring options? Who the hell is going to run a single DVC 4ohm sub at 8ohms??? And if you can't use one coil that means you have to parallel the coils on get a 2ohm load.

THEN YOU MIGHT AS WELL BUY A 2OHM SVC SUB. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/eyebrow.gif.fe2c18d8720fe8c7eaed347b21ea05a5.gif

If you have a pair of 4ohm DVC subs and can only wire them to 4ohms or 1ohm, once again, you might as well get 2 SVC 2ohm subs and wire them to either 4ohms in series or 1ohm in parallel.

Tell me then why do DVC's exist. Because it looks like to me, if you can't use one coil for whatever reason, then there is no point for dual voice coils.

A single 4ohm DVC sub should be able to get wired at 8, 4, and 2ohms.

A single 2ohm DVC sub should be able to get wired at 4, 2, and 1ohm.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.