Replacing dvc door speakers

Participant count
  • Participant list

dangerousbrian

CarAudio.com Newbie
I’m looking at trying to replace my door speakers and the ones that are currently in there are DVC so it has 4 wires to the speaker instead of 2.

Does anyone know how I’m supposed to wire replacements without them sounding terrible, each way I’ve tried so far it sounds pretty poor or clips/distorts on any kind of bass.

Attached pic of existing one.

Thanks,

Bri

Attachments

• IMG_2633.jpeg
    IMG_2633.jpeg
    524 KB · Views: 16
Factory head unit? (and keeping it? What's the vehicle)? -

What size is that, (6.5)?, what do they do, and are you just replacing them, or change the type of speaker? What does the other side look like?

I don't see where the connections are? Is this your speaker, you've taken it out and it has 4 wires running to it? I WOULD GUESS it's more or so like a component speaker with a tweeter and a mid, that they built like a two way for space. Have you verified the wires don't have an inline crossover or filter on them? (You could check voltage of the speaker wire using different tones, to make sure there is no filter on the line).

Is there a (factory) amplifier in there?

Factory head unit? (and keeping it? What's the vehicle)? -

What size is that, (6.5)?, what do they do, and are you just replacing them, or change the type of speaker? What does the other side look like?

I don't see where the connections are? Is this your speaker, you've taken it out and it has 4 wires running to it? I WOULD GUESS it's more or so like a component speaker with a tweeter and a mid, that they built like a two way for space. Have you verified the wires don't have an inline crossover or filter on them? (You could check voltage of the speaker wire using different tones, to make sure there is no filter on the line).

Is there a (factory) amplifier in there?
Yeah it’s 6.5 and yes I’ve got the speaker out and attempted to wire a different one in.

Yes keeping the factory head unit, the car is a mclaren 570s, it has a 6.5” in the lower door then just a tweeter separate higher near the top of door, no mid, the standard sound is rubbish.

So I’ve basically got 4 wires, that need to go to 2 for the new speaker.

I do not see anywhere where the circuit is open to be attached to the source/HU or external speaker wiring.
This is everything, the amp is a pain to get to behind the drivers seat, so at the moment this is all I have.

Attachments

• IMG_2634.jpeg
    IMG_2634.jpeg
    666.1 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_2635.jpeg
    IMG_2635.jpeg
    584.9 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_2637.jpeg
    IMG_2637.jpeg
    550.6 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_2638.jpeg
    IMG_2638.jpeg
    562.4 KB · Views: 18
The replacement speaker you need to buy needs to be DVC. There is no way to correctly parallel an amp/headunit wiring from DVC to SVC.

So, source some 2-ohm 6.5-8" DVC speakers. Looks like that adapter/speaker mount hogs much space and you can craft your own speaker mount adapter for whatever brand speaker you want, as long as its DVC and guessing 2-ohm. You had to measure it with your multimeter.

How much chopping fabricating trimming do you want to do?

Its a nice car. So, find a competent shop to sort this out.

It isnt hard to take a pair of speaker wire strippers and expose the speaker wires to tap back into while keeping the existing adapters. all you are doing is spreading the speaker wiring jacket and exposing the wire to tap back into while not cutting the original wire adapter. I use these type of wire strippers

Amazon product ASIN B00CXKOEQ6

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...