Drift Car Racing: Clearly Dominate Car?

240sx with an sr20det swap is probably the single most popular drift car, next in line are the pre 93supras, and the older rx7's and the drifters love the old AE86 corollas...... you don't want too short of a wheelbase because a short wheelbase makes it tough to keep the back end from sliding completely around, however too long and it can be difficult to manuever and get the back end to stay out when you want it to. contrary to popular belief it doesnt take alot of horsepower to drift.
you can drift 2 ways for the most part with alot of varients

the more popular less power less money way is to slow down and as come into the turn, grab the hand brake to get the car sideways and at the same time pop the clutch and control your drift with the throttle

the other way is how your buddy in the GTO was doing it, when you literally have enough power you can just break them loose on a whim at any speed, basically you pop the clutch instead of pulling the handbrake... and carry it all the way thru the turn. hope that helped.

i may be wrong but ive heard the KA's are better than the SR's for drifting...

i may be wrong but ive heard the KA's are better than the SR's for drifting...
I know a mechanic here in town who swears by his KA24DE over the SR engine. He picked it up his 240 in non running condition from a kid who didn't know what he was doing and it RUNS now! I am amazed at how much power there was go gain out of the K24DE just by having forged internals, advanced timing, and a better intake/exhaust.

If you want to know a bad car for drifting that would be my 2006 Mustang GT. I put some stickier tires on it, BF Goodrich KDW NT, and now I can barely smoke the tires and when I do, it isn't for long because they grip like no other tire out there once they warm up.

ive been thinkin of pickin up a 1985 200sx RWD and droppin a ca18det in it to drift with. or really just play around with. my buddy only wants 300 for it and it runs with the stock ca20 in it.
That's what I have, except an '87, and it's a fvcking fun car to drive plus it's been reliable as hell, even with me beating the **** out of it on a nearly daily basis for the last 7 years. I've spent about $900 on repairs on it since I got it (brakes, exhaust, rear end) and am on my 3rd set of tires (no doubt 1 set would've sufficed had I driven it like a granny; I don't consider that a repair though //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/tongue.gif.6130eb82179565f6db8d26d6001dcd24.gif )
If you're wanting to make it a true drifter, you'll probably want to upgrade the rear end to the 300ZX rear end of the same era (lower final gear ratio, LSD) and upgrade the suspension.

You can throw a lot of Nissan engines in it with little-to-no effort including, obviously, the CA18DET (180SX engine). The FJ20ET is a very potent (although rare and expensive) choice (Original Skyline engine), as well as the RB20DET (Skyline), SR20DET (Silvia engine), VG30ET (300ZX engine), and KA24DE"T" (not turbo stock, 240SX engine). With some shoehorning and custom-brackets, you can get the RB25DETT (newer Skyline engine) in there as well.

Either way, throw 200+ bhp @ a ~2500 lbs RWD car and it'll burn rubber like crazy ...

the whole KA or SR debate is a good one, it would be like someone comparing a 351w to a 350 chevy, both have potential, both have a couple mods that are the weak spots and once those weak spots are tied up its all uphill. I think the drifters like the KA's for the torque

Just had a 240 at my club's dyno day that some kid did the SR20DET swap in (when he was 15 which is impressive). Put down 230 horsepower and about the same torque with little change in how much boost it was running stock. As they've said already, for a light car, thats MORE than plenty.

240's are the popular ones...but higher end would be a supra, skyline, rx7...if you have money, a 350z or g35 would be good...

lol just watch fast and furious 3? lol...

the issue w 240's is that they don't all come w lsd's..i have a buddy who is sponsored by toyo and he welded his differentil to make it "modified lsd"...i wouldn't suggest this as seeing how your car knocks and skips into its parking spots...

KA > SR anyday.
HP determines how fast you hit the wall, torque determines how far you shove that ****er.

I have a 1991 240 for sale in west TN, with lots of goodies. Cheap. Cash or weed only.
That's one of the most retarded sayings I've ever heard in my life //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/fyi.gif.9f1f679348da7204ce960cfc74bca8e0.gif

That's one of the most retarded sayings I've ever heard in my life //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/fyi.gif.9f1f679348da7204ce960cfc74bca8e0.gif

Retarded how? Not only is it apparent that you've never driven a 20 on the street, with its terrible lack of lower end grunt, but that you've never heard of Mr. Shelby, who originally gave that HP/tq quote.

Who wants to cook a clutch every 6 months? If you like to replace them thangs, go ahead with a 20, as you have to leave red lights at 2500 rpm every time, more if uphill. But with a KA, you can idle out, no matter the hill.

And FYI: I have 197hp@6500rpm/245ft/lb at 4950. Nice, but even nicer is: over 200ft/lbs from 2100 up

So all you SR junkies, bring your chain, tie up with me, and by gawd, let's pull em.

The more I learn about this stuff the more I feel it's really time consuming and extremely expensive.

Think I'll stick to drag racing and car audio //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

all you need are hard, cheap, thinner tires and anything thats rear wheel drive...

its not hard to overpower a set of 185 series tires.....

all you need are hard, cheap, thinner tires and anything thats rear wheel drive...

its not hard to overpower a set of 185 series tires.....
Somehow I just don't think that's all there is to it.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.