Door speakers and Lock/Unlock mechanism intermittently fail after speaker installation

Participant count
  • Participant list

Connerdjb

CarAudio.com Newbie
I recently installed aftermarket speakers in all of the doors of my 2014 Honda civic, and I've been having an issue. The speakers will work for about 30 seconds when I turn the car on, and then all of the speakers will randomly stop working. When the speakers are working they sound fine, and I soldered all of the connections, I know they are really solid. Also after I installed the speakers, the lock/unlock function with my key fab does not work consistently. I've checked every fuse in the internal fuse box and the fuse box under the hood and they are all good. Not sure what the issue is now or how to fix it. Any help is greatly appreciated.

May need a new battery in your key fob.
Speakers? May need to pull the speakers back out and make sure you placed the proper connections on the proper connection pole on each speaker

May need a new battery in your key fob.
Speakers? May need to pull the speakers back out and make sure you placed the proper connections on the proper connection pole on each speaker
Only weird thing is the key fab worked perfectly for a long time before I installed the speakers and only stopped working after the installation.
And I’m confused because the speakers will work perfectly, but shut off after 30 seconds, I feel like if I had the connections backwards it wouldn’t even work for that long if at all, but I did pull them out today and they all are correct

Only weird thing is the key fab worked perfectly for a long time before I installed the speakers and only stopped working after the installation.
And I’m confused because the speakers will work perfectly, but shut off after 30 seconds, I feel like if I had the connections backwards it wouldn’t even work for that long if at all, but I did pull them out today and they all are correct
Say more. Tell us everything you changed during the installation. Did you pull the head unit? What did you do under the hood? Most importantly, how did you run the speaker wires? Through the rubber boot between your doors? Is there any chance you spliced into a wire in the harness by accident that is actually connected to another system, for example a line from an antenna to a computer?

Say more. Tell us everything you changed during the installation. Did you pull the head unit? What did you do under the hood? Most importantly, how did you run the speaker wires? Through the rubber boot between your doors? Is there any chance you spliced into a wire in the harness by accident that is actually connected to another system, for example a line from an antenna to a computer?

That’s kind of the crazy thing, so it still has the factory head unit, the only thing I replaced is the door speakers, and I used the factory wiring. I just bought a wiring harness adapter and plugged it into the factory port for the speakers, and used an aftermarket plastic bracket to install them, so I didn’t need to run any speaker wires.
Full disclosure, I am semi-new to everything, and I don’t think I disconnected the battery before replacing the speakers, and I think that may have caused the issue, but not sure what it caused or how to fix it.

Turns out one of the terminals on the speaker was touching some metal on the door once it was installed, I took it out, put some electrical tape on the terminals and door and it works fine now, and pretty sure the AC is just a bad fuse

Turns out one of the terminals on the speaker was touching some metal on the door once it was installed, I took it out, put some electrical tape on the terminals and door and it works fine now, and pretty sure the AC is just a bad fuse
I always use the p;lastic door baffles from Xscorpian or Stinger to never have the issue of terminals grounding out. Id be checking to see when that tape finally starts to fall off. be the time to just get those $10 speaker baffles. They will also help slow down the speaker from the magnet corrosion from inside door moisture and also help with a bit better sound response. Cheap and well worth the money

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...