Door panel deadening build with photos!

What is the point of building the baffel? I'm new to all this stuff and see a lot of guys doing it. Is it for sound quality purposes or what?
Using baffles is 2 fold for me. I needed to space out my speaker since my aftermarket speakers are much deeper than the stock speakers were. Next, speakers mounted straight to metal is not a good idea. Metal on metal is usually never a good thing. So to help absorb the vibrations many people use a baffle made out of some composite, fiberglass or for us cheap skates we use MDF.

Some people use other woods but I like to use MDF eventhough there is a sticker on the board that says that CAlifornia believes this material causes cancer but they still sell it! //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crazy.gif.c13912c32de98515d3142759a824dae7.gif

whoa.. I didn't know MDF said that.... I know its poisonous but CRAP... I have cut so much of it and the sawdust is all over my garage.... EVERYWHERE...

Good luck with everything and PM me with your results!

Using baffles is 2 fold for me. I needed to space out my speaker since my aftermarket speakers are much deeper than the stock speakers were. Next, speakers mounted straight to metal is not a good idea. Metal on metal is usually never a good thing. So to help absorb the vibrations many people use a baffle made out of some composite, fiberglass or for us cheap skates we use MDF.
Some people use other woods but I like to use MDF eventhough there is a sticker on the board that says that CAlifornia believes this material causes cancer but they still sell it! //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crazy.gif.c13912c32de98515d3142759a824dae7.gif
california thinks everything causes cancer

A baffle is not a spacer or a mounting ring, it's actually a device that turns a raw driver into a loudspeaker. If you take a speaker and just play it free air, it won't sound particularly good nor have very much output. A proper baffle should completely separate the front wave from the rear wave without the loss of SPL. If the front and rearwave are not delayed by the baffle, you will loose output due to cancellation.

Also, the baffle sould not resonate within the frequencies the driver is playing (maybe 80 - 3k for in this case). If possible, the resonance of the baffle should be lower than the Fs of the driver.

A good solution, if you're putting 2 pieces of MDF together, would be to glue a few sheets of sheet metal or alumium between them to increase the mass and aid in blocking the back wave. You could also pack it in wax-based modeling clay to add mass and rigidy to it.

Believe me, I learned this lesson the hard way. Do it right the first time.

I decided to continue the build this Sat. and build some baffles that will cover the stock 5 x 7 hole. Then I will know that I have done my best to totally enclose the door and deaden it.
Simek4Life: Please read entire thread before commenting.... I already stated on an earlier post that I had made the spacers months ago and now I want to enclose the area as well as I can so I am remaking baffles this Sat..

Build complete. Let me know what you think!

PA030001.jpg

PA030002.jpg

PA030003.jpg

PA030004.jpg

I love them! The mid bass far out performs my expectation and I listen to Sirius 90% of the time and the sound quality is at 64 kps which is quite low compared to a CD but it still sounds off the hook!

I am going to add some rear fill coaxials powered off the HU. It sounds so perfect in the front seat but too bassy in the rear so I will throw a lil sound back there for the passengers riding coach!!! ! haha //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif

I don't know how much I used exactly. I had a lot left over from deadening the rear part of my cab this summer. I put one layer on only and I covered as much of the inside as I could and you can see what I did on the outside.

Check out my gallery for a photo of the raamat I used on my truck!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.