dont use wood glue to seal?

I read to use wood glue and clamps to create a seal between pieces of MDF. I also read on a post on here not to use wood glue to seal it, instead use silicon caulk. The person who said this is knowledgable, i am just asking why? Is it seriously supposed to replace using wood glue at all? how can silicon caulk create a better seal than wood glue? OR was he referring to using silicon caulk to seal the box AFTER construction, not using it to seal the box DURING construction...somebody clear it up...
thanks!

jeez man, just ask the old fart to explain himself //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif These guys are right. Glue be it wood glue, urethane glue, ca glue, elmers glue or what have you. Is used to bond wood together. There are a few select glues that offer gap filling properties. But not most. I use glue to hold everything together, then silicon to seal everything up if needed. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Or do what I do, Coat the entire inside surface of the box in about 1/4 of an inch of Fiberglass resin, Seals the box and help strengthen the box a little.

That's fine as long as your not competing in certain meca classes. I can't remember exactly what class(es) right off hand. But I know there are some that do not allow any resin at all to be used. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

jeez man, just ask the old fart to explain himself //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif These guys are right. Glue be it wood glue, urethane glue, ca glue, elmers glue or what have you. Is used to bond wood together. There are a few select glues that offer gap filling properties. But not most. I use glue to hold everything together, then silicon to seal everything up if needed. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
muchos gracias

the wood glue is used to help hold it together, hence the name GLUE, but it may also help to fill small cracks between pieces of wood. you should still caulk the cracks on the inside for some extra sealage, better safe than sorry.

does Bondo work just as well (or better) to seal the corners and edges instead of silicon?

does Bondo work just as well (or better) to seal the corners and edges instead of silicon?
itd work, but just use silicone, its cheaper and easier to deal with for this type of job.

If your cuts are straight enough, then the glue in the joint holding the box together is enough to seal it. If you have gaps more than 1/16th, i would use silicone.

how about Liquid Nails? what's everybody's take on that one?

I've used it once (the box it is in is being finished tonight) and I've used just regular ol' clear silicone a few times.

pv what do you use as an adheasive? i have always used liquid nails, if there is a better way i would like to know from someone that has made way more boxes than i have.

hmmm titebond i will check that out, but we do use the same silicone //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif well look at that we aren't all that different after all //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif thanks for the advice bro.

yes yes, the GE silicone is the stuff that I prefer. after using Liquid Nails on the inside (until I ran out and had to go get some more stuff to seal it with..I couldn't find LN so I had to just get more of the GE stuff) and then switching over to the GE stuff, I prefer GE..it's what I used on my last box before this one, and I'll continue to use it!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.