Doing the big 3... should I ground from the alt casing to batt- or from engine block

Participant count
  • Participant list

Rkrajnov
10+ year member

Indiana
to chassis

I've heard people say both ways, not sure which is better. Also where on the alt casing/engine block do I ground? Not really sure, I'm still new to working on cars so I want to make sure I'm not doing something stupid. Pictures would be great. I've tried searching around, but haven't found anything that clearly answers my question.

So can I put it here? or will this not work?

351fjvb.jpg

well where your alt is touching that rusted piece just make sure theres no rust between the alt and that where the 2 touch each other . if need be remove your belt just off the alt pull all the bolts to take a peek where the 2 meet and see if its metal to metal and not metal to rust then put your lug under the bolt head and tighten it up good

well where your alt is touching that rusted piece just make sure theres no rust between the alt and that where the 2 touch each other . if need be remove your belt just off the alt pull all the bolts to take a peek where the 2 meet and see if its metal to metal and not metal to rust then put your lug under the bolt head and tighten it up good
That sounds like a real PITA to go through just to attatch a ground wire to the engine block and to a strut/shock bolt?

Not really little extra work and it looks clean . Different strokes for diff folks //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Ok so it turns out that bolt is too thick for my ring terminals. I don't know where I can get any other ones right now so would one of these bolts work instead? They're pretty convenient as they are right by my batt, but I'm not sure if they would be any good.

dy55ih.jpg

Alright got everything in guys. Seems to be good so far. Car stays above 14v even when the bass is hitting hard and I'm idling around 600 rpms now. Car just seems to run smoother too. Glad I took the time to do this.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.