Does this sound like a legit upgrade package?

Is Best Buy charging more or less? I assume less? Locally there probably isn't much competition so the local audio shops can charge whatever they want. In a more populated area there is way more competition so everyone plays on the same field. You only have 1-2 shops nearby so they can price gouge and inflate labor rates without anyone being the wiser. Until someone makes the effort like you have to research.

I'd still call that place in Arlington I mentioned earlier see what they say and honestly if you buy all of your own stuff and just have a shop install it for you you'll still probably save money. I understand not wanting to DIY, especially with the newer cars and dealing with integration. Its not like it was in the 90's that's for sure.

Nauc has some great recommendations as well.

I've actually gotten contacted by a dude who asked all the right questions, made quality recommendations at reasonable prices, with fair labor and an hones time estimate (3-5 hours).

Hes not married to a particular brand, though seems to have made alot of Sony recommendations, so I gotta research that stuff. He charges like $10/hour extra if I brought in all my own equipment. The thing is as I'm narrowing down, the only thing I want that he doesnt sell or cant get are those Alpine S-S65 speakers. I doubt he would raise rates over 2-4 speakers if I was buying everything else straight from him.

In fact, before tax I think the product I'm gravitating towards plus 5 hours labor will come in at $1900 before tax, and if I ditch the back speakers and go with a Pioneer GM-D9705 (he is proposing a more expensive Sony amp), I could knock that down to anywhere from $100 - 300 depending on what hed ask for the Pioneer amp, so I could end up with a pretty banging system for maybe even $1600.

Have to ask the dude about his installation guarantee, and I dont know if deadening is included or if that would cost extra. Questions I'll ask him tomorrow.

I will check out that place in Arlington, but this dude store is within an hour and for real I'm about ready to close with this guy if no red flags pop up.

I've internally rejected his Sony recommendations. Do they make any component category that's worth my time looking at?

I've actually gotten contacted by a dude who asked all the right questions, made quality recommendations at reasonable prices, with fair labor and an hones time estimate (3-5 hours).

Hes not married to a particular brand, though seems to have made alot of Sony recommendations, so I gotta research that stuff. He charges like $10/hour extra if I brought in all my own equipment. The thing is as I'm narrowing down, the only thing I want that he doesnt sell or cant get are those Alpine S-S65 speakers. I doubt he would raise rates over 2-4 speakers if I was buying everything else straight from him.

In fact, before tax I think the product I'm gravitating towards plus 5 hours labor will come in at $1900 before tax, and if I ditch the back speakers and go with a Pioneer GM-D9705 (he is proposing a more expensive Sony amp), I could knock that down to anywhere from $100 - 300 depending on what hed ask for the Pioneer amp, so I could end up with a pretty banging system for maybe even $1600.

Have to ask the dude about his installation guarantee, and I dont know if deadening is included or if that would cost extra. Questions I'll ask him tomorrow.

I will check out that place in Arlington, but this dude store is within an hour and for real I'm about ready to close with this guy if no red flags pop up.

I've internally rejected his Sony recommendations. Do they make any component category that's worth my time looking at?
I hope it’s the xplode line! The only Sony amp I can think of is that super underpowered dsp which is not needed. Pioneer amp is a solid performer. What’s his labor rate? 10$ per hour extra is worth is if you can bring in your own gear that your good ol pals on ca.com recommended.

also, those alpines are coaxials man. Get a comp set which is a separate tweeter and a midrange. Way better imaging and sound quality. If those morel ultimo are to pricey get the Maximo

Last edited:
He charges $70, so labor per estimate would be 210-350 unless he would want to charge me extra for the Alpines.

I dont even know what "coaxial" means yet, but those speakers sounded nice on that Best Buy "sound wall" they had a Alpine S-S65, which was one speaker, and a Alpine S-S65c, which was one speaker plus one tweeter. Is that a comp set?

The S-S65 sounded better to me than the S-S65c, and by a significant margin, and I spent no little amount of time comparing everything they had on that wall, and was even so curious why one speaker would sound better than the same speaker with a tweeter, but it did to me for sure.

Actually, now I recall the speakers actually appear quite different between the regular, and the c. I dont know if it's the same speaker between the two models after all.

Last edited:
And hes fond of the XMG6DSP Sony 5/6 channel amp, for what ever thats worth. I think the Pioneer amp is a safer bet for less $. There has been not one negative word said about that amp through this entire thread, and it's also the one all the dealers are recommending to me in my locale.

Nothing wrong with Sony IMO - Again would recommend components up front and coax, stock or delete in the rear. Probably a little more expensive, but not like JL. I've never been a fan of their HU but thats more on their design, never heard anything bad about their speakers or amps though. The Sony amp he recommended has onboard DSP which could add some nice features. Not sure if anyone here has a ton of experience with their newer car audio stuff but they're a strong electronics brand overall.

I haven't told him yet but this is the build I'm thinking of right now, if anyone wants to critique it.

HU: Pioneer PC-DMH-2600NEX
Dash: Pioneer PC-TS-A878 3.5"
Front: Alpine S-S65
Rear: Alpine S-S65 (or not, or maybe later)
Amp: Pioneer GM-D9705
Sub: Dealers choice? ? He is recommending a Sony XSGSW121D 12" dual 4 ohm voice coil sub 420-520rms

"We have access to sony, kicker, pioneer, jvc, diamond audio, ds18, sound digital, ground zero, powerbass, and more."

Anything I should be looking at amongst those manufacturers for a Sub?

Dude does his own boxes, and are included in his estimate, so I dont need a sub that comes with an enclosure.

Last edited:
Again would recommend components up front and coax or delete in rear

Can you please explain what coax means, because I haven't found a definition I really understand.

If I thought the single speaker Alpine sounded better than the one with the tweeter, why wouldn't I just get the single speaker one and shave off some $?

I haven't told him yet but this is the build I'm thinking of right now, if anyone wants to critique it.

Front: Alpine S-S65
Rear: Alpine S-S65 (or not, or maybe later)

Sub: Dealers choice? ? He is recommending a Sony XSGSW121D 12" dual 4 ohm voice coil sub 420-520rms

"We have access to sony, kicker, pioneer, jvc, diamond audio, ds18, sound digital, ground zero, powerbass, and more."

Anything I should be looking at amongst those manufacturers for a Sub?

Dude does his own boxes, and are included in his estimate, so I dont need a sub that comes with an enclosure.
hu: you don’t like
Front: coooooommmmppppp set! It will make sense once in vehicle and not on a wall

Last edited:
If Diamond is compatible, would this he a decent build?

Front: Diamond D65c
Rear: stock or remove
Sub: Diamond DES124

Kinda nervous about the Diamknd speaker component here because I've not heard it, but I have heard the Alpines and liked em alot.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.