Does this sound like a legit upgrade package?

Ok here are the details of the build, included in the estimate are alot of items that seem to be included to maintain compatibility with my existing vehicle options, and some costs that I dont know are legit or not because Im uneducated about stereo equipment and installation, as I've said before.

Im not oblivious to the markups, at least on the main items, I have done that comparison.

Any helpful feedback welcome! I mean, noone seems to have anything positive to say about the build itself, so maybe I I just need to read through your recommendations and continue my reasearch.

But I want a decent stereo tomorrow!! Haha

Anyways here it is,.

AVH-2500NEX ($400)

95-8907HG ($25)
METRA 2015-Up Subaru Dash Kit

40-LX11 ($20)
METRA Toyota/Lexus Antenna Adapter to Vehicle

ASWC-1 ($55)
AXXESS Steering Wheel Control Interface

SUBUSB2 ($15)
AXXESS 2015-Up Subaru USB Retention Plug

70-1761 ($10)
METRA Toyota Wire Harness to Vehicle

AX-SUB28SWC6V ($35)
AXXESS 2015-Up Subaru Camera Retention Harness with SWC Prewire

44KSS6504 ($200)
KICKER KS Series 6.5” Component Set Speakers

44KSC6504 ($90)
KICKER KS Series 6.5" Coaxial Speakers

82-4301
METRA Universal 1" Spacer ($30 for 2 of them)

GM-D9705 ($300)
PIONEER Digital Series 5 Channel Amplifier 75W x 4, 600W x 1

43TCWRT102 ($225)
KICKER 10" CompRT with Passive Radiator and Truck Enclosure 2 Ohm

Misc. Installation Supplies ($75)
4 Gauge Power Wire, Stinger 6 Ch RCA Interconnects, Fuse Holder, Fuse, Loom, Heat-Shrink, Gold Terminals

LABOR ($480...$60/hr estimate says 8 hrs)
Install AV Receiver, Front Component Set(Tweeters in Dash with custom mount), Rear Coax, 5 Channel Amp(Under Seat), Mount Enclosure

Last edited:
Ok here are the details of the build, included in the estimate are alot of items that seem to be included to maintain compatibility with my existing vehicle options, and some costs that I dont know are legit or not because Im uneducated about stereo equipment and installation, as I've said before.

Any helpful feedback welcome!

AVH-2500NEX ($400)

95-8907HG ($25)

40-LX11 ($20)

ASWC-1 ($55)

SUBUSB2 ($15)

70-1761 ($10)

AX-SUB28SWC6V ($35)

44KSS6504 ($200)

44KSC6504 ($90)

82-4301

GM-D9705 ($300)

43TCWRT102 ($225)

4 Gauge Power Wire, Stinger 6 Ch RCA Interconnects, Fuse Holder, Fuse, Loom, Heat-Shrink, Gold Terminals

Install AV Receiver, Front Component Set(Tweeters in Dash with custom mount), Rear Coax, 5 Channel Amp(Under Seat), Mount Enclosure

it doesnt take 8 hours to install all that for a shop you only need 4 hours tops unless they are mentally retarded or a fresh hire.
You are being charged 100 dollars extra for that pioneer amp for no reason.
The kicker speakers are low quality as hell. The sub is trash tier shallow mount with a passive radiator yikes..

The pioneer head unit is 289 at walmart website.
So you are being overcharged for many random things that they dont expect you to look up.
The labor pricing is very fair, quite cheap BUT the hours estimate is blown out of proportion.
What i'd recommend is if you have a free day to kill, take your car in with you staying there as well stating you need the work done ASAP and dont leave the shop, stay there, make sure they finish their ****, watch their work as well if needed, if they dont allow you to see their work, WALK AWAY thats shady as **** and a big red flag. with you there monitoring the time and work, this makes sure they cant manipulate time and prices vs you just dropping off the car and picking it up the next day and they will spew some ******** about oh it took us a lot longer than expected then blows up your bill. Also they hate having customers waiting and snooping around so they'll get you in and out faster.

it doesnt take 8 hours to install all that for a shop you only need 4 hours tops unless they are mentally retarded or a fresh hire.
You are being charged 100 dollars extra for that pioneer amp for no reason.
The kicker speakers are low quality as hell. The sub is trash tier shallow mount with a passive radiator yikes..

The pioneer head unit is 289 at walmart website.
So you are being overcharged for many random things that they dont expect you to look up.
The labor pricing is very fair, quite cheap BUT the hours estimate is blown out of proportion.
What i'd recommend is if you have a free day to kill, take your car in with you staying there as well stating you need the work done ASAP and dont leave the shop, stay there, make sure they finish their ****, watch their work as well if needed, if they dont allow you to see their work, WALK AWAY thats shady as **** and a big red flag. with you there monitoring the time and work, this makes sure they cant manipulate time and prices vs you just dropping off the car and picking it up the next day and they will spew some ******** about oh it took us a lot longer than expected then blows up your bill. Also they hate having customers waiting and snooping around so they'll get you in and out faster.

I agree with you on all counts, but god knows what it takes to keep an audio shop afloat these days. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

If you don't do it yourself, or even buy the parts yourself you're at the shop's mercy, even good shops, who need to make margin and keep the lights on but then again most people get their systems installed from Best Buy and don't know any different.

Im not oblivious to the markups, at least on the main items, I have done that comparison.

Any helpful feedback welcome! I mean, noone seems to have anything positive to say about the build itself, so maybe I I just need to read through your recommendations and continue my reasearch.

But I want a decent stereo tomorrow!! Haha

Anyways here it is,.

AVH-2500NEX ($400)

95-8907HG ($25)

40-LX11 ($20)

ASWC-1 ($55)

SUBUSB2 ($15)

70-1761 ($10)

AX-SUB28SWC6V ($35)

44KSS6504 ($200)

44KSC6504 ($90)

82-4301

GM-D9705 ($300)

43TCWRT102 ($225)

Everything parts wise look right to me, I just personally wouldn't run Kicker Mid's but up to you to listen and see if you like what they sound like. Jeff makes a good point regarding soundstage and leaving stock rears in place to spend more money up front. You already have dash speakers so you could really build a nice sound-stage up front. Its what I did in my Cummins. Again "nice" being a relative term for me and what I wanted to deal with in my particular situation.

Ok, I asked the same question to the next most highly rated installer, which operates a store, and they recommended the build below, and ball parked 4K over the phone (not an official estimate).

Now it's worth noting here that the fellow I spoke with said that they use JL Audio equipment exclusively, claiming it's some of the best on the market. I have no way to know if this claim is true, or kinda true, or not true, or even if he was referring to quality or value.

I'm posting here more for build quality comparison to the first one and if there are any red flags. Since I have specific model ids in this case, I can research pricing myself.

Pioneer 4500 Head Unit (7", can clone your android phone, which is cool AF to me)
JLC 3 in the front
JLC C2 in the backdoors
900-5-A amp (I spaced writing what brand this is, not sure if it's also JL Audio)
HOW3 Box (again, not sure if JL Audio)

P.S. I will become open minded aboit the idea of DIY when I hear someone say 4K. I am just investigating what the market around here is like first.
Now 4k seems like alot. If hes using a JL HO box he dosent even have to build any custom enclosure! He sticking an unsightly box in the trunk (say goodbye to trunk space). Hes installing speakers n xovers in doors, probably without serious sound deadening or any buildout. The amp will get screwed to a backseat or underneath a front seat. The HU? Well not too much work for a good installer.
I didnt do a research on the prices of everything but 4k seems high.

Another question. The guy I spoke to from the store that only sold JL Audio.

When I spoke with him, he said one option was just to upgrade the Head Unit, and that in an of itself would provide a drastic change, that the stock speakers would be able to handle the added juice, and I might actually get what I'm after simply by upgrading the Head Unit.

Is that worth considering in my situation? I mean, if I can get an upgrade that satisfies me by replacing one single component, that is obviously preferable to the full upgrade treatment on the wallet.

To repeat my situation, I have bought a 2017 Subaru Crosstrek, and the sound from the stock stereo is garbage. My previous vehicle was a 2010 Subaru Outback with a factory installed Harmon Karden system, which wasnt amazing by any stretch, but was enough for me, and I'm looking to match or exceed that level of quality with a good, reasonably priced solution.

Last edited:
Another question. The guy I spoke to from the store that only sold JL Audio.

When I spoke with him, he said one option was just to upgrade the Head Unit, and that in an of itself would provide a drastic change, that the stock speakers would be able to handle the added juice, and I might actually get what I'm after simply by upgrading the Head Unit.

Is that worth considering in my situation? I mean, if I can get an upgrade that satisfies me by replacing one single component, that is obviously preferable to the full upgrade treatment on the wallet.

To repeat my situation, I have bought a 2017 Subaru Crosstrek, and the sound from the stock stereo is garbage. My previous vehicle was a 2010 Subaru Outback with a factory installed Harmon Karden system, which wasnt amazing by any stretch, but was enough for me, and I'm looking to match or exceed that level of quality with a good, reasonably priced solution.
Replacing the head unit will absolutely give you better sound over the stock stereo, even with the stock speakers. It won’t add much bass, but you will get better control and quality of sound over your music than with the stock unit. You should do this first, then if you’re not satisfied, start buying amps and speakers.

Here is what's specifically wrong with the current system. Low max volume, bad distortion of sound at that volume, and lack of midrange and bass punch.

Would a Pioneer AVH2500NEX upgrade alone provide significant improvementfor any of these issues, and would it improve midrange and bass punch at all?

A new head unit will give you more control over the sound you get. It will probably have more punch and volume than the stock one did, but there is no way to tell if it will be enough for your listening tastes. The stock unit likely is blocking a lot of bass signals to save the stock speakers from being blown. A new unit let’s you control the bass instead of the stock unit blocking it with no control of it.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.