Does this sound like a legit upgrade package?

Well that makes no seance. Dude if you lived near I'd help you put it in for nothing plenty of members like that here. Idk how this thread went sideways? Just getting frustrated? Idk

My guess is he's sensing some of the frustration/exasperation from members and is reacting to it. Hopefully my post above helps ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Okay well before you go into the vortex of dudes who registered, didn’t effectively process the intel they received, and never came back again....just know that everyone here wants you to get the best result and value. This means the combine gear, install, and achieveable output for the money you agree to spend (don’t think of it as giving it to any certain shop ).

that said, recognize that a retail shop is marking up the same gear you can buy direct and mid skill labor to maximize their profit in exchange for making it thoughtless for the buyer. (think retail clothes...need shirt, see shirt, like shirt, buy shirt). The quotes you received are from businesses want your money and know that if the new system results in any degree of “better” than what you have now they’ll defend that they’ve done their job. Have you considered what happens if you shell out the 2k. 3.4k, 4K etc and you’re not satisfied. In most instances As long as it works you’re gonna be out more money to make corrections

I dont mean to get frustrated. I believe I have communicated what I am looking for sound wise, several times actually, and my wierd undefined budget information. I dont know how to explain it better.

I completely understand that DIY will save me a ton of money. I understood that point the first time it was made.

Went sideways for me when I got subtle hints to stop posting because this is a DIY only site (sorry, I did not know this) and not so subtle jabs like "this is turning into a typical new guy thread", and, "I'd call you a noob, but..." when I have been up front about being a noob from the very first post.

I can play the crap out of the guitar. If someone came to a guitar forum asking about guitar models and pricing and so forth, I could talk there ear off and would love it. I wouldn't make fun of them for being a Noob. Everyone is a noob at everything at one point.

So, a million apologies for frustrating some of you, I sincerely do appreciate the feedback I have gotten, and at least now I know what kind of questions to research and ask.

And with that, I really will stop posting here and go into lurker mode.

I dont mean to get frustrated. I believe I have communicated what I am looking for sound wise, several times actually, and my wierd undefined budget information. I dont know how to explain it better.

I completely understand that DIY will save me a ton of money. I understood that point the first time it was made.

Went sideways for me when I got subtle hints to stop posting because this is a DIY only site (sorry, I did not know this) and not so subtle jabs like "this is turning into a typical new guy thread", and, "I'd call you a noob, but..." when I have been up front about being a noob from the very first post.

I can play the crap out of the guitar. If someone came to a guitar forum asking about guitar models and pricing and so forth, I could talk there ear off and would love it. I wouldn't make fun of them for being a Noob. Everyone is a noob at everything at one point.

So, a million apologies for frustrating some of you, I sincerely do appreciate the feedback I have gotten, and at least now I know what kind of questions to research and ask.

And with that, I really will stop posting here and go into lurker mode.
You won me back when you dropped “lurker mode” What’s your area code? I’ll gladly contribute to a brief craigslist, letgo, offerup search for an installer. Nobody is here to push you to diy that you’re committed to doing. For the record, I’ve have not FULLY installed any of my systems.

Well, I've been up front with every dealer about the situation I'm in, that they are in direct competition with many other businesses, and that Id like my estimate itemized so I can determine their markup.

It's been effective in other areas of negotiation outside car stereos. If these businesses want my business, they will present me with fair markups and labor rates.

If not, I will more strongly consider the DIY route.

By the way, I have admitted from the get go that I am a Noob. I am when it comes to car stereos, 100%.

I think that will be it from me on this thread, as I'm just about to start getting made fun of, but thanks sincerely for this help!
Whos making fun of you?
Im confused. Everyone here has been cordial and completely informative. Its up to you now to compile all of this and extrapolate the key points. I keep saying this does not need to be diffucult. I wish my configuration could be this unfettered.😁

You won me back when you dropped “lurker mode” What’s your area code? I’ll gladly contribute to a brief craigslist, letgo, offerup search for an installer. Nobody is here to push you to diy that you’re committed to doing. For the record, I’ve have not FULLY installed any of my systems.

Area code is effectively 540, but that is a big chunk of Virginia. Also close to area codes 240 & 301 (Western MD, Hagerstown/Frederick area had to add a second area code).

Whos making fun of you?
Im confused. Everyone here has been cordial and completely informative. Its up to you now to compile all of this and extrapolate the key points. I keep saying this does not need to be diffucult. I wish my configuration could be this unfettered.😁

I'm not going to call out individuals, and I am not angry at all.

I have read and understood your particular feedback. Believe it or not I have read every reply, and I am trying for real to process it. This is alot of brand new info for me, ibhave basically been doing non stop research since an hour before I posted the original post.

I only posted the third estimate because I naively thought you all might find it interesting to see what local dealers are recommending as solutions, and what they are charging.

I have ran 2 specific loud-outs recommended in this thread by dealers, which at least got one message of support by another member, to be told by EVERY business I've contacted it is a POS build. Of course, I know they are going to say that, because they are going to push whatever product they are pushing.

It's a jungle out there, I am trying...and I am going to Best Buy to listen to product in 15 minutes (see, I am listening).

(OK, back to lurking....every time i try to get out, they drag me back in haha)

Last edited:
Those are not outrageous charges for an installer running a legitimate business paying taxes and insurance. I build enclosures for people, but I rarely install a system for someone on their car. I don’t have insurance to cover a major electrical issue that can arise when messing around behind dash panels, which happens more than people may realize.

I'm not going to call out individuals, and I am not angry at all.

I have read and understood your particular feedback. Believe it or not I have read every reply, and I am trying for real to process it. This is alot of brand new info for me, ibhave basically been doing non stop research since an hour before I posted the original post.

I only posted the third estimate because I naively thought you all might find it interesting to see what local dealers are recommending as solutions, and what they are charging.

I have ran 2 specific loud-outs recommended in this thread by dealers, which at least got one message of support by another member, to be told by EVERY business I've contacted it is a POS build. Of course, I know they are going to say that, because they are going to push whatever product they are pushing.

It's a jungle out there, I am trying...and I am going to Best Buy to listen to product in 15 minutes (see, I am listening).

(OK, back to lurking....every time i try to get out, they drag me back in haha)
You have to take control of the issue. This is YOUR money!

Ok, I visited Best Buy. The electronics folks were obviously inexperienced with audio. They had no opinion on Head Units or amps, other than price and specs. No help on subs, as all they had were two kickers, and it was actually the same model, just one in a stock enclosure and one in a different enclosure. They had a JBL sub, but it was not hooked up to listen to.

They had the following brands to listen to for speakers: Kenwood, Kicker, JBL, Alpine, and something like "Grand Tour". Of all the speakers they had, I preferred the Alpine S-S65, and by a wide margin. Weirdly enough, I liked it better than the S-S65C. I could see putting SPE-6000s in the back, but they're only $10 cheaper than the S-S65s, so why not just use two sets of S-S65s.

I've become very confused about replacing the dashboard speakers, if I need to, etc. The Best Buy staff had no knowledge or advice about this.

So I dont know much more than before the visit than what Best Buy charges, except I liked the Alpine speakers better than the other models.

I guess that's a start at least.

Ok, I visited Best Buy. The electronics folks were obviously inexperienced with audio. They had no opinion on Head Units or amps, other than price and specs. No help on subs, as all they had were two kickers, and it was actually the same model, just one in a stock enclosure and one in a different enclosure. They had a JBL sub, but it was not hooked up to listen to.

They had the following brands to listen to for speakers: Kenwood, Kicker, JBL, Alpine, and something like "Grand Tour". Of all the speakers they had, I preferred the Alpine S-S65, and by a wide margin. Weirdly enough, I liked it better than the S-S65C. I could see putting SPE-6000s in the back, but they're only $10 cheaper than the S-S65s, so why not just use two sets of S-S65s.

I've become very confused about replacing the dashboard speakers, if I need to, etc. The Best Buy staff had no knowledge or advice about this.

So I dont know much more than before the visit than what Best Buy charges, except I liked the Alpine speakers better than the other models.

I guess that's a start at least.

Definitely! Awesome stuff dude! I'm glad you got to listen to some stuff and now you're getting an idea of what you like. I find many people are happy with Alpine speakers or subs for that matter.

Maybe see if there is a shop that would install a Pioneer HU, some Alpine S-S65s and then dealers choice on your sub/amp combo.

Specifically for your dash speakers - IMHO I like upgrading them because it provides a nice 'wall' of music coming at you from the windshield. You're just limited because there isn't many people making 2.75" speakers. Sundown's are known for making the best ones out there, unless you want to spend stupid money on AudioFrogs.

And the prices that Best Buy is charging vs. the local independent dealers for the same model is so significant, I cant ignore it. For the big ticket item, I'm talking like 30-40% different. Even though I would be willing to pay more to do business with an independent, I just cant justify that big a difference.

So at the very least, once I have identified the components I want, I will buy them myself, and start researching pure installation services.

If I cant find a reasonable rate/time estimate on that (I'm getting the picture that the kind of upgrade I'm after should be a 4-5 hour job??) , I will go DIY...

...and almost assuredly mess it up, and have to pay someone to fix it anyways, haha. All the many small ticket compatability items, you might as well be speaking Greek to me about them. I dont know what I need (other than what's been put in the estimate), and I'm not sure where to start researching.

id look thru the decks on Crutchfields site, you can enter what vehicle you have, it will show you what will fit your car.

figure out what features you want and go from there. they also have dash kits if you want to install yourself and come with instructions and can give you support if you need help. i always install my own decks, its pretty easy

for decks, id probably stick with Alpine or Pioneer.

for speakers, Image Dynamics is hard to beat for the money. a good 6.5" component set, amped, will get loud and sound good

kinda depends on your budget. top Focals are like $5k

for subs, i like Fi for the money. theyre nasty (in a good way). the 12" Xv3 or SSD will sound good and shake your entire car with ease

www.ficaraudio.com

for amps, im running a Rockford Fosgate Prime 500x1, got it for like $115 new off Amazon. things great. its compact and solid. scoped it myself, does like 630 watts before clipping

id ditch rear speakers, usually only just screws up the sound quality

tons of good info here for newbs... https://jlaudio.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/categories/200265750-Car-Audio-Support

few good/entertaining YT channels..

id take your time and do it right

ps, Les Pauls ftmfw ! ;)

Last edited:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.