Does this sound like a legit upgrade package?

If Diamond is compatible, would this he a decent build?

HU: Pioneer PC-DMH-2600NEX
Dash: Pioneer PC-TS-A878 3.5"
Front: Diamond D65c
Rear: stock or remove
Amp: Pioneer GM-D9705
Sub: Diamond DES124
Pretty decent imo. Comps have separate tweeters allowing better customization and sound staging especially if you end up going active.

Coax are "normal" speakers that are usually 2 way or 3 way with a built in tweeter. Components separate the tweeter from the woofer allowing you to mount the tweeter anywhere you want in the car for better sound. Component sets also generally use better quality materials in their construction for better frequency and tone response.

Edited to add Alpine S-S65c are component (the c means component as Alpine also after the coax variation that is S-S65) - they have built-in tweeters.

See here: https://www.alpine-usa.com/products/speakers/s-series

Ok, I sent this dude a request for a quote on this specific build and I gotta go to bed now. Hopefully he stays as reasonable with the Diamond products as hes been with the other stuff.

Ok, I sent this dude a request for a quote on this specific build and I gotta go to bed now. Hopefully he stays as reasonable with the Diamond products as hes been with the other stuff.

why the pioneer 3.5 two ways? Just adds more front stage speakers for amplification and tuning complexity/limitations. Keep it clean, disconnect the stock 3.5’s and put that money into your comp set. Perhaps diamond elite comps. Then you can bridge the four channels of your 5 channel amp and send that to front stage as Jeff initially advised. Simplified staging, good speakers, door treatment and plenty of power will make for a solid result upfront

Last edited:

Looks like a great setup IMO. I've never heard Diamond audio in person but I can't find any bad reviews on them. I think you'll be very happy with what you have listed. I'd definitely be happy with it! Subs seem to pack a lot of punch at their price point. The Diamond D65c may be slightly underpowered but the amp has a great power split between the dash and doors. Hope to see an update after install!

why the pioneer 3.5 two ways? Just makes more front stage speakers for amplification and tuning difficulty as you only have three sets of pre outs. Keep it clean, disconnect the stock 3.5’s and put that money into your comp set. Perhaps diamond elite comps. Then you can bridge the four channels of your 5 channels and send that to front stage.

I pointed him towards keeping the dash - I think what he has is a great start, if he catches the bug he can adjust later down the road. I don't think he's ready to dive into active front stage yet.

I pointed him towards keeping the dash - I think what he has is a great start, if he catches the bug he can adjust later down the road. I don't think he's ready to dive into active front stage yet.
Why would he put 3.5 two ways that at best are going to give weak midrange and potential dash rattle (suburus **** for that) in addition to a comp set? Sounds like a front staging speaker battle nightmare. Bridging four channels to two in order to provide more power to a correctly front comp set is not active. He can still run his rear factory speakers on the new headunit.

Cant sleep. TMI.

I dont know if you guys are talking about power or acoustics or what, or what this channeling stuff. Will the dash speakers hurt me. If they are not an important component, should I just leave them stock like the rears? Would that eliminate potential for rattling? I could always upgrade them later if its a minor component.

I did just email the guy and also asked for a quote on the Diamond Elites as a possible alternative to the lower end ones. Seems to be a pretty key component, those fronts, so might as well find out what a bump up would run me.

This guys gonna be pissed, I sent him about 3 emails overnight, haha.

Last edited:
Would throwing an Alpine S-S66 pair in the rear with Diamonds in the front/sub make a wierd sound.l due to mixing manufacturers?

I've got some budget to play with and I really liked those alpines, even could end up using them in another vehicle someday if the sound doesnt come out right, and then just disable the rears.

We’re talking about where your sound is coming from directionally. Just leave those 3.5’s in the dash unplugged. Rears just aren’t going to do anything for your sound

Ok, I visited Best Buy. The electronics folks were obviously inexperienced with audio. They had no opinion on Head Units or amps, other than price and specs. No help on subs, as all they had were two kickers, and it was actually the same model, just one in a stock enclosure and one in a different enclosure. They had a JBL sub, but it was not hooked up to listen to.

They had the following brands to listen to for speakers: Kenwood, Kicker, JBL, Alpine, and something like "Grand Tour". Of all the speakers they had, I preferred the Alpine S-S65, and by a wide margin. Weirdly enough, I liked it better than the S-S65C. I could see putting SPE-6000s in the back, but they're only $10 cheaper than the S-S65s, so why not just use two sets of S-S65s.

I've become very confused about replacing the dashboard speakers, if I need to, etc. The Best Buy staff had no knowledge or advice about this.

So I dont know much more than before the visit than what Best Buy charges, except I liked the Alpine speakers better than the other models.

I guess that's a start at least.
oh god they must have really poor selection if you liked the type S!!! LOL type is absolutely horrid compared to a real component set like focal, morel, hybrid audio technologies, scanspeak, audison, gladen, german maestro etc... The actual SQ brands not the average joe blow kicker, kenwood, alpine and lower model jl audio junk. If you like the type S, you like forward mids and laid back highs which is what the morel components i recommended you from my post way back then will give but will have a lot more realistic instrument separation, clarity, tonality and airiness in the highs. BUUUT if you want to keep it simple and just want to settle with the type S, be my guest. if it makes you happy, go for it. Sometimes the best solution is the cheapest solution i guess.

Would throwing an Alpine S-S66 pair in the rear with Diamonds in the front/sub make a wierd sound.l due to mixing manufacturers?

I've got some budget to play with and I really liked those alpines, even could end up using them in another vehicle someday if the sound doesnt come out right, and then just disable the rears.

So as a fellow rock/metal listener that used to be a metal band back then, I'd need to do you a solid and tell you what you need to look for in a properly done sound system. One of the KEY things for the music genre we listen to is midbass punch from the doors, good midrange for the instruments and A LOT of soundstage and imaging.

Now, let me clarify what that is....

Soundstage is pretty much a live concert on the dash of your car it can be wide or it can be narrow. Imaging is pretty much painting a picture of a personal studio performance with the artist live on your car's dash. You can literally see through hearing a guitarist on one side, bassist on the other, singer front and center where you can even hear them if they are walking left and right singing. Drums are far behind close to the hood of your car sweeping across your dash. Its THE experience that makes music... MUSIC

Now with that magnificent description there... Rear speakers of any kind DESTROYS THIS COMPLETELY. Turns it into a blob of absolute trash and noise. There's a reason why everyone on this forum, the sound quality forum, the spl forum, facebook groups, instagram groups, Sound quality competition elites and the list goes on and on... they do not use rear speakers. Thereis no surround sound of any kind, music is recorded in stereo 2.1 not 4.1. You do not have the processing to make a fake dolby digital 5.1 nor is there any technology out there that can do it well as of now.

Alpine component speakers sound decent in their price range. My last system was 6.5 inch alpine type r components running off 2 channels bridged on an infinity amplifier. The sub was a 10 inch diamond audio D6 in a custom ported box on a JL G1700 amplifier. my head unit was a Kenwood. Forget the model. That system was one of my favorite sounding setups out of a dozen I had in that truck.

OK, I agreed to a job. I visited the dudes store and reviewed product, speaker wise I listened to the Diamond Elitesl comp, but was introduced to the Sony XSGS1631C 3-Way, and it sounded better to my ears than the Diamond speakers, plus the dealer showed me how the 3.5's in the unit could be placed in the dash and the tweeter staged and all that soundscape stuff.

Dude eliminated all labor costs, including deadening on front doors and deadining material at cost! He identified this as a "quality build" and he as the owner does all the business' "quality builds" so I guess he doesnt have to pay himself?? So I dumped the savings in labor into a recommended amp upgrade.

Job should be done in 1 week.

So my final system will be

HU: Pioneer AVH-2500NEX (I wanted DVD player)
Front/Dash: Sony XSGS1631C 3-Way
Rear: Disable
Amp: Diamond DES10005D
Sub: Diamond DES124 12”
Enclusure: Atrend 12” ported sub box

I dont know maybe some will crap on the choice of the Sony, but I heard both with my own ears, along with a couple other brands he had, and I preferred the Sony to them all.

I think I'm gonna be really pleased with this loudout, and its gonna come in just a bit over the original 2K Pioneer/Kicker solution that I first got.

I'm very, very glad I found this forum and appreciate all of your help and input. I didnt ignore the suggestions all of you made for other brands like Morels, and Image Dynamics, Sundawn, etc. This dude was gave me such reasonable prices on the brands he carried, and j could go heat alot of the options and when he knocked off labor and threw in deadening for free, I really couldn't say no.

See, my negotiating method works for me Haha (someone earlier said it made no sense). Tell a bunch of vendors you need a good solution and they are in competition with many others for an equivalent solution, do your research, and whoever wants your business will naturally emerge. Whoever wants your business will offer a quality product, not overcharge for it, and be honest about labor. People engaging in predatory behavior (taking advantage of ignorancd) are weeded out, usually leaving you with an honest vendor.

If the install goes well I will gladly post this dudes business and contact info here, if that's something that is done, because so many other dealers around my own area were overcharging me for apparently mediocre solutions, and not being honest about labor hours, almost all of them estimating 8 hour for a 3-5 hour job, the others simply providing a number with no identified rate in the estimate.

I will say the JL Audio dealer was the most honest. He let you know that his business charges retail, told you what he chose and why. If someone was into JL Audio stuff at retail, it's a good place for that.

Last edited:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.