Do subs interfere with 3-way 6x9's

they may distort from the air being pushed from the trunk, but a more serious issue is the cancelation of the 6*9's. try turning off (disconnecting) the 6*9's and see if your bass response improves.

hope this helps!

Yea depending on how much air your subs are pushing, you could actually destroy your 6x9 cones if you hit them hard enough with enough air force.

Savage Sound is correct though, depending on what your crossover freqs are, your 6x9s and subs will be playing the same notes. so try to cut you 6x9s off a little above where you subs cut off. Like if your subs play up to 80 Hz, then dont have your 6x9s playing down to 70 Hz, you would have a 10 Hz crossover resulting in some cancellation.

from what I know, the 3-ways already have a little sub in them so it would be pointless to put them in if you have big subs. The 3-ways might also distort more than the 2-ways. I would go with the 2-ways if you have got subs.

A 3 way is a combination of a woofer and an added tweater, this is inorder to cover more of the entire sound spectrum. A 3 way can usually handle low bass (no where near as low as a sub), and handle mids (cuase it is a woofer), and then it can handle the upper highs cause of the tweet.

A 2 way is a 3 way minus the tweet. So basically it will handle the lows and mids, down do a certain freq. and up to a certain freq. so it only covers a certain band of freqs.

What to go with all depends on your setup and preference. Some say go with the 3 ways always and just add crossovers to them, others say go with 2 ways, and add some tweets. It is all up to what ever you want to do.

hey...i have exact problem too....i cut my pioneer 6x9's off @ 100Hz....but yet they still kinda distort...my sub is firign directly into the rear shelf....should i step up the freq on the 6x9's ?

I dont believe the frequency change would effect the distortion. I believe the 6x9s are being distorted by the sir pressure from the subs. If I were youI would dry build a box around the rear of the 6x9s. You could probably just buy some 6x9 boxes and mount them to the under side of the rear deck. This would prevent the air pressure from the subs from being able to reach the cones of the 6x9s. But it might also prevent some of the bass from the subs, I really wouldn't think so.

hi ive got an xr2 and im starting to do the sound in it, u lot seem to know wot ur doing so id realy like sum advice. ive already put in sum 260watt 6x9s which sound good and sum new 150 watt front tweeters and woofers that realy complement it. i rely want some heavy bass i.e. a sub. can i run one without an amp?

subs need amps you could run them off headunit if you dont mind damaging your sub and having 0% sound quality. But there are headunits that you can buy that you can hook a sub straight up to I think pioneer make a few. But wouldn't attempt to hook it up to a regular headunit.

cheers man, if i buy an amp can i just wire it to one of my rear lights and then run my 6x9s and sub through it ? and not drain my battery?

i know exactly what you are saying bro.

and i can say dont do it. i have before, in ma shitty old temop that i couldnt care less about.....and it was a weak roadgear amp and a thump sub. even then, the lights dim like a *****, and its just really stupid.

don do it

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.