Do I need to upgrade or do I have enough power?

Participant count
  • Participant list

Sinner13

CarAudio.com Recruit
Nj
I have a JL 300/4 amp is that enough power for 100w or 125w rms speakers.
I'm looking at either a full set of Polk db 6.5 or Polk components in the front and db in the back. Just haven't decided how much I want to spend. Am also open to other speaker options but every thread there's multiple people suggest Polk. Is 75w rms enough or do I want more power?
Btw vehicle is a 99 Infiniti G20.
Thanks

It is enough and bring a regulated power supply it will sound better vs other 75w per channel amps.

JL is over priced but they make a quality product. You can always upgrade later

Last edited:
Ya got lucky the amp was in my G35 when I got it. It's bridged to a pair of image dynamic components but I don't like the sound of those speakers tweeters are too pingy and there's no mid base whatsoever, want to replace the whole setup. So would be nice to reuse the amp in my g20

The difference between 75W and 100W into a loudspeaker will likely be inaudible. That said, the difference between the sound of a "75W" component and a "125W" component may be dramatic. 75Wx4 is certainly an adequate amp for your mids and highs but I'd suggest to stay away from the lowest entry level speakers regardless of brand you're shopping. Just the next tier up from entry level is generally a big improvement in sound and build quality.

If the ONLY difference in those components was power handling I'd say get the low one but that's typically not the case when you're shopping for brand name co-axial or component sets where they give the higher model lines more power handling largely because the market expects to see bigger numbers to go with their price tags.

Midbass is going to depend on the install much more than the individual component.

Check and see where the high pass filter is set you might be able to lower the highpass and gain more mid bass.

Check both the amp and headunits filters.

Seeing as the amp is bridged look for the image dynamics crossovers. You might can get rid of the pingy sound by simply moving a switch on the cross over fro +3,+6db down to 0,-3db. It's likely the guy before you liked bright highs and set them up that way

You can also try swapping the polarity on the passenger side tweeter to tone down the tweeters.

A properly set eq will help as well.

The Polk db are decent speakers and are relatively efficient with the power given.

Not sure what model I never pulled them out. There is sound deadening around them.
I need speakers for my other car not touching those yet
Need to pull out a rats nest and get a better amp and rear speakers for the car with the image dynamics. He just had front speakers, i added a sub but want to add rear speakers so probably get a 5 channel amp for that car. Not driving it right now so can use that JL amp in my other car for now

Not sure what model I never pulled them out. There is sound deadening around them.
I need speakers for my other car not touching those yet
Need to pull out a rats nest and get a better amp and rear speakers for the car with the image dynamics. He just had front speakers, i added a sub but want to add rear speakers so probably get a 5 channel amp for that car. Not driving it right now so can use that JL amp in my other car for now

Not that I like shilling my own sales but I have a badass digital designs 5channel for sale in the classifieds. One of the largest available powerwise 125×4+1500×1.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...