Do I need 1/0 or 4ga wire?

Participant count
  • Participant list

Pearson
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
Florida
I'm tryng to put the wiring together for my system. I will have a sa-8 ran off a hifonics hifi1000.1d and massive audio vk6 running off of an old ken wood amp that's only pushing out 125rms per channel. I know for the big 3 i'm gonna use 1/0 so i'm trying to figure out if it'd be better to run 4ga for the power and grounds or 1/0. I don't think i'm using enough power to warrant the 1/0 but idk and I doubt i'll upgrade due to the fact that I still need my back seats so I can't go any bigger than an 8" and with the sundown, i'm pretty much pushing the best I can so there isn't too much better I can get. The comp amp i'm not too worried about upgrading cause the stocks are decent already and my last system they worked fine without amping them so i'm even going above that. Will CCA wire be alright or do I need OFC? I've tried reading up on the differences but again, I don't think i'm pushing enough to actually see a big difference. Last bit of question; Is there really a difference between distro blocks? (ex. knu, stinger, kicker, rf)

Here's the options

- Run 1/0 from battery to distro block/ 4ga to both amps

- Use 1/0 from ground to distro block/ 4ga to both amps again

---------or---------

- Run 4ga from battery to distro block/ 4ga to both amps

- Use 4ga from ground to distro block/ 4ga to both amps again

I know that was a lot for one post and I apologize. I don't like making more than one post concerning different things so i just make one long one. lol Thanks for any input and help.

thats about the amperage i pull, i use 4g with 0 issues, but i also have a 136amp alt.

4g is rated for up to 150amps

Also, that post isnt very long lol

Just checked and my frontier has an 80amp alt so that's not that great. Hopefully the big 3 will help a little.

The only thing holding me back from 1/0 is the price.

Good to know about the CCA vs. OFC cause there's a crazy price difference and I already have some CCA layin around. I didn't think that there would be a difference in distro blocks but I wanted to ask before I went for the cheaper one and found out later that there's a big difference.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.