Need help pairing subs to amplifier!

Participant count
  • Participant list

DRGilroy

I have a JBL GTO14001 (rated 1500w RMS 2 ohms or 1200w RMS 4 ohms).

I don't know what the best solution would be to keeping my amplifier and running either a pair or a single sub. I really don't have a size preference, I just don't want it taking over my whole trunk. I listen to Hip-hop, R&B and Dubstep.

I'd greatly appreciate any advice or recommendations you guy's can give. Thanks for your help!

I've been looking at the following speaker configs:

Digital Designs

2 x DD 2512b

1 x DD 3512f

AudioQue

2 x HDC312

Ascendant Audio

2 x Chaos 12

1 x Havoc 12

DC Audio

2 x LV3 12

Sound Solutions Audio

1 x Icon-12

1 x Xcon-12

Sundown Audio

2 x SA-12

1 x SA Z v3 12

What is the best way of matching speakers RMS with amplifiers RMS?

There are a few things to consider, if you are looking for some pretty heavy output on the low frequencies, which I can only assume you are with an amp that large, 2 speakers are going to move more air. Out of your options I would lean more towards the 2 Sundowns, however the single Icon is not bad, but you will want to limit the amp to maybe 1100 watts.

There are a few things to consider, if you are looking for some pretty heavy output on the low frequencies, which I can only assume you are with an amp that large, 2 speakers are going to move more air. Out of your options I would lean more towards the 2 Sundowns, however the single Icon is not bad, but you will want to limit the amp to maybe 1100 watts.
Thanks for your input. I think I am leaning toward two 12's but I'm not sure what to expect. Would I have to give up a bunch of trunk space? I'm a little old school. The last time I ran two 12's was with two Rockford Fosgates Pro Punch Series. I think those were rated 150w RMS each and were in a 2sqft tuned to 80hz sealed enclosure.

If I went with one of these new subs like Sundown and the enclosure was tuned to 38hz maybe lower, would I need to add mid range woofers so that it's not just the lows I get?

Thanks for your input. I think I am leaning toward two 12's but I'm not sure what to expect. Would I have to give up a bunch of trunk space? I'm a little old school. The last time I ran two 12's was with two Rockford Fosgates Pro Punch Series. I think those were rated 150w RMS each and were in a 2sqft tuned to 80hz sealed enclosure.
If I went with one of these new subs like Sundown and the enclosure was tuned to 38hz maybe lower, would I need to add mid range woofers so that it's not just the lows I get?
You have lots of reading to do before you purchase anything.

You have lots of reading to do before you purchase anything.
Ya, I know. I've been out of car audio for awhile and need to know what I'm investing in but I'm really not looking to become an expert installer. I just need some advise on working with what I have.

with any of these speakers u wont need an additional midrange even if u tune to 30hz the subs will play 28-80hz and your door speakers should play from there up. hell mine play 63hz and up were as my subs are 70hz on down. and you cant tune a sealed box unless you are talking about the resonance frequency of the box in which that will have little effect on the sound in car. the tuning of a ported box on the other hand can have a much larger effect

Okay, I've been doing some research for a little while now. I think I'm going to pull the trigger on 2 Ascendant Chaos 12". I have a local dealer that can get me the pair for $499. I have about 5 cubic ft for an enclosure. I think this should be enough. Anyone have any opinions on this setup? Any opinion on 2 Chaos 12" vs 1 Havoc 15"?

JBL GTO14001 (rated 1500w RMS 2 ohms or 1200w RMS 4 ohms)

2 Ascendant Chaos 12"

Last edited by a moderator:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.