Do fabrics on enclosures affect air-tightness?

Haha fair enough... I just thought y'all knew what I was talking about because it really was a very simple question, but when I realized nobody knew what I was talking about I rephrased it with as much detail as possible. Maybe I worded it pretty dismally thie first time Sorry... So y'all really don't think the carpet will make a difference especially with SQ as long as the sub is screwed down tightly? I use an SA-15 and 1200wrms before rise I thought it was not out of the question to assume there could be some leakage with a porous piece of fabric bridging the gap between sub and box
All good. And #mitchell0715 hit the head on the nail.

there's enough compression between the sub and wood that air wont leak out. we're talking about ~.2 db gain here, people do this kinda thing for SPL comps and they use heavy duty ac duct tape around the sub
If you absolutely feel the need to, take precautions. It's your sound and your ears.

Just as important as sealing around the edge, make sure you put screws in all your mounting holes. Air leaking from a screw hole sounds awful.
My friend had two type r 12s in a prefab ported enclosure, probably 1.5 cf - 2 cf per sub, 36?hz tuning. Run on a ****** 2 channel sound stream "2000w advertised" amp, running each sub to each channel! NOT EVEN BRIDGED! If running it on that flea market amp wasn't bad enough. Using boss 6g wire, and had half of his screws in his mount holes. He thought he had a bad *** system because he had "2k watts of power" and "alpines, cuz alpines are the best"

I tried explaining to him his gauge wire was way too small for 1k rated subs, and his amp was an overpriced POS lying about it's power, it was fused with 2 x 20 fuses, couldn't of pushed more than 300-400w, and if it did it definitely wasn't clean. Your doing those subs no justice. I'm still surprised to this day why his amp hasn't gave out or atleast had power protection lighting up.

Lol, I was never that much of a noob... I don't think..

I knew exactly what the OP meant. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/fyi.gif.9f1f679348da7204ce960cfc74bca8e0.gif

OP, having the sub mounted on a carpeted surface isn't going to cause any significant air leaks. There may infact be a very small amount of air escaping around the sub, but nothing audible or anything to worry about.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.