Do comps really make a difference?

red9250
10+ year member

TX
The way my car is set up there is no way I can mount the midbasses at the proper angle, but I will be able to mount the tweeters at the right angle for imaging. My front speakers (6.5 coaxials) are at the very bottom of the front doors right by my feet right now. they sound a lot better when I put my head down right by my center console as low as I can go. If I mount the tweeters higher, pointing in the right direction, will I notice a big difference in the sound? OR will I need the tweeters and midbasses at the right angle for a noticeable difference? Answer that if you can make any sense of it. Thanks //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif

well if I read you right, I would not put the tweeters too far away from the mid, because reccomended is about 7-8" max I think, but did you consider kick panels, they would have the best imaging //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

Only way you will know where to put your tweeters is when

your installing it and trying different locations in your car.

Use double face tape on the back of your tweeters for temporary

mounting. It really depends on what comps your buying and

your taste in music. Some ppl like it up high on the dash or a pillars,

some want it low near the mids on the door or on a kick panel.

Originally posted by denim well if I read you right, I would not put the tweeters too far away from the mid, because reccomended is about 7-8" max I think, but did you consider kick panels, they would have the best imaging //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif
my comps didnt say anything about keeping the midbass and tweeter closer together, mine are about 2-3 feet apart, does it really make that much difference?

Originally posted by burtonsnow83 my comps didnt say anything about keeping the midbass and tweeter closer together, mine are about 2-3 feet apart, does it really make that much difference?
yes it makes a difference in Imageing

Originally posted by denim yes it makes a difference in Imageing
my mids are in my door...and the tweeters are by the dash...so maybe 2 feet away...what makes the difference??? delay?? could i use time correction on my alpine HU? is it THAT big of a notcieable difference? I think mine sound **** good...and am very pleased with them. peace

NG

The difference with component speakers and a full range speaker and a tweeter is that component speakers compliment each other to produce sound. They receive one signal and distribute it between the components. If you seperate a component you will be moving the sounds away from each other. The ear can pick out where mids and especially where highs are coming from. If you have a half signal in one spot and a half signal in another your ear can tell and it will hurt SQ. It is possible to mount the component tweeter away from the mid if you know what you're doing. If not, it's best to keep it close.

Originally posted by JaJay721 The difference with component speakers and a full range speaker and a tweeter is that component speakers compliment each other to produce sound. They receive one signal and distribute it between the components. If you seperate a component you will be moving the sounds away from each other. The ear can pick out where mids and especially where highs are coming from. If you have a half signal in one spot and a half signal in another your ear can tell and it will hurt SQ. It is possible to mount the component tweeter away from the mid if you know what you're doing. If not, it's best to keep it close.
beat me too it //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

Kickpanels are nice....but I have gotten better imagining using the a-pilars in my car.

There are a few tricks to get optimal imaging with tweets furhter away from your mids.

If your using the crossover your comps came with......you might want to lower them about 2db's. (when mounting them close to your head...sometimes)

If your using a bi-amplified setup...I don't think you need any advice from me //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif .

Another thing to keep in mind with mounting the tweets in the a-pilar is to have them angled correctly. Realize that sound waves bounce off surfaces...especially your windshield. If you angel your tweeters to face each other...then slightly angel them towards the front windshield .. (2-3 degrees) you will get a little umff in the highs thx to sound reflection

And when your looking for spot for the tweets don't pick any stupid spots....like the pilar behind the front seats. You want to keep the mid and the tweeters as close to the same Y-axis as possible.

BTW.... If your fairly good in glassing try and make a pair of kickpanels and see what you like better. Having a wider soundstage isn't a bad thing either,,,

Its all about compramising your sound quality in a car......not the most friendly enviorment for SQ //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.