Distribution Block Question

Participant count
  • Participant list

Preston019
10+ year member

Texas
Hey guys,

I'm about to put a second amp in my vehicle and I was going to go ahead and use a distribution block. I was going to run 0 gauge from the battery to the distribution block and 4 gauge from the distribution to each of my amps.

My question is, if I use a fused distribution block, do I also need to have a fuse between the battery and the distribution block? And if I do, would a 200 amp fuse be sufficient?

You need a fuse close to the battery so that the cable doesnt get overloaded and catch on fire. The fuses on the distro block are meant to protect your amps. If you amps already have fuses, then you shouldnt worry. I had a fused distro lying around and both my amps have fuses, so I just put some oversized fuses in the block, just so the power would go through the block. Probably not the safest thing to do, but I havent had a problem. I suppose the fuses in the block might also be protecting the wires coming out of it. Not entirely sure.

You need a fuse close to the battery so that the cable doesnt get overloaded and catch on fire. The fuses on the distro block are meant to protect your amps.
Right, but if your cable is overloading, doesn't that mean that one or both of the output cables are overloading as well, and will pop the fuse for one or both of them?

You should have a fuse between your battery and the distribution block (fused or not) and it should be within 18 inches of the battery. The fuse size is determined by the wire you are using so we can't answer if a 200 amp fuse will work. We also don't know which amps you are using. They might pop a 200 amp fuse.

A good reference for fuse information can be found at bcae1.com. On the right side go to the Fuses section. Perry knows his stuff and has lots of information on that page.

Right, but if your cable is overloading, doesn't that mean that one or both of the output cables are overloading as well, and will pop the fuse for one or both of them?
You need a fuse close to the battery no matter what. Because, all the wire up to the first fuse, where ever it may be, can catch on fire. And I'm guessing you have that wire run under carpet. So it's like the perfect way to catch your car on fire.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

Preston019

10+ year member
Preston019
Texas
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from