Design help for Image Dynamics ID8V3 in ~3 cubes

Participant count
  • Participant list

mat3833
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
florida
this box will be in my house, and there will be two identical enclosures with the listed dimensions

Space available per box (Length x Width x Height): 28HX14WX15-16D

Subwoofer make and model: Image Dynmics ID8 V3

Subwoofer Size: 8"

Number of Subwoofers: 1 per enclosure

Type of Port (Kerfed, Slot, Aero, etc.): Slot

What type of music do you like?: all kinds.

Is your goal SPL or Everyday Music?: good on music as well as Home theater use

Tuning Freq (Hz): not sure yet. somewhere between 25 and 30hz

Volume : about 3.3 cubes per box. this is external volume. wood/port/and sub displacment not taken into account.

ok so now that that is out of the way, more details:

im trying to build a "jack of all trades" box so to speak. since it will be in my house it will be used for watching movies, listening to music, and the occasional video game. i want it to be able to hit the lows with relative authority(the room it will be in is about 20X10 with a sloped ceiling. the boxes will be on the tallest wall facing the shortest wall.

i have been considering a bandpass box of some kind since i have the room, but since the subs will be crossed at ~100hz i figured it would not work out so well. since this is also my first real box build i figured it might be better to keep it simple. but im open to suggestions.

the available depth i have is technicly 17 inches. but only one enclosure can be that deep and have clearance for the sub. going with 16 inches doesnt leave much space for the sub to move either, so 15" deep is really my limit unless its a bandpass box. each sub will be on the bottom "shelf" of my TV stand. each box wil protrude ~4 inches off of this shelf so a 2" tall foot will be added onto the fromt of the enclosure. each enclosure also has a shelf above it so higher than 28 inches isnt possible. and as far as width, 14 inches is absolute max.

i did some torres calcs, WinISD calcs, and sketchup models of a few designs and originally settled on a 28X14X15" enclosure with a 1X12.5" slot port tuned to 22hz with sub forward port down, but now im not sure what i want to do. lol.

what enclosure type would you go with and why? i know tuning low tends to reduce output in the higher frequency range, but with 8" subs i need the lower tuning to hit the lows, so what frequency would you tune to for a compramise? i dont have to use all of the available space for each box, and i would like to keep power handeling at or close to RMS. but since im limited on power getting more output at lower power is a plus right now. i also dont have a subsonic filter so i need to make sure the subs wont be damaged during serious LFE events in movies.

thanks in advance and sorry for the wall of text. just trying to cover every aspect i can think of. hopefully i didnt miss anything

Matt

forgot to add how much power i will be running to them. currently i can run ~35W to each of them, but once i get my amp repaired or replaced ill be able to run more. if i get my amp repaired i will end up with 600W to the pair, and if i replace it i will have about 300W to the pair. ATM its looking like i will be running 300W.

Matt

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.