Design help for BMW e39 (complete system)

Participant count
  • Participant list
First up, please excuse the cross post from diyma but I'm trying to get a broad range of opinions.

Well I recently acquired a 2003 BMW 530i (e39) and have decided I want to upgrade the audio system. My overall budget is around 1000 USD and like everyone else, trying to stretch my dollars. I have no problem buying used and I can wait a bit to get good deals.

My overall goals are sound quality, not SPL and I'd like to keep the car looking as stock as possible. I listen to a wide variety of music, but I don't need extension much lower than about 35 hz. I don't listen to rap/techno/etc and don't require ultra low extension or output.

I've been going through the boards for a while now and think I have a few starting ideas, but I'm open to anything.

Head unit: pioneer deh-80prs (probably just buying from amazon for around 250). I like the features and like the flexibility it gives to run active or passive. I also like that it can do a lot of eq/processing.

Amplifier: looking at a PPI five channel, maybe the power class or the phantom (forgot the model numbers).

Front stage: really not sure here. I've been out of the game for a long time and things have really changed. Most of the talked about brands here are new to me. I'm guessing my budget for the front stage will be around 300. I've seen Hertz, Hybrid Audio, and Image Dynamics thrown around the most at this price range. I'm also interested in suggestions for raw drivers to run an active front stage. The car has holes for a 3-way setup, but I think I'll probably go 2-way to keep the budget and complexity level in check. The front doors have 5/8" tweeters, 2" midrange drivers, and 5.25" woofers. There are aftermarket mdf baffles available for about 130 that allow 6.5" woofers without any other modifications so I might go that route as well.

Rear stage: the car has 5/8" tweeters in the doors and 5.25" midrange/woofers in the rear deck. I think I'll probably go no rear fill for now; who knows in the future.

Sub-stage: I've gone back and forth here. I don't need huge bass. I've thought about a high quality 8" that could go in a small sealed box that would fit in the hole where the rear arm rest folds up. The arm rest would just stay down and I could pull the box if the arm rest ever needed to be raised. I've also thought about cutting out the ski pass through and doing a box in the trunk, but I really don't want to do that. Right now I'm leaning towards something like the shallow mount 8" from sundown audio in the small box in the arm rest hole. Again,open to suggestions.

Install/sound deadening: I've read over and over that there is nothing more important than the install. I'm going to start another thread to find out what exactly a "proper install" is, but some basic suggestions here would be appreciated. One of the reasons I love the car is because it's so quiet; I'm sure it can be improved, but I like where I'm starting from.

So again, hoping to keep everything to around 1000. I'm a believer in buying used, buying direct, buying from companies where I'm not just paying for a name/marketing. I think there is a definitely a point of diminishing returns in this hobby. That being said, I think there is a definite sweet spot in the spectrum and I think places like this are where you find it.

Thanks in advance for the help!

I'm an e39 owner myself and your plan is very solid, I made my own adaptor baffles which were very easy using the 5.25 door speaker enclosure as the template. Running active can be a bit*h to setup if you're not familiar with the process but is well worth the effort when done right. I'm running a Focal PC165 component set in the front doors using the supplied passive crossovers and a single Sundown SA10 in a ported box powered by a bridged SAX-125.2 and the Focal's I'm powering with a bridged JL e4300. Incredible sound and plays everything I throw at it with authority.

I would do an 8-incher or a 10-incher and I would remove the ski pass then mount the box in the trunk. The trunks on these cars are VERY well insulated which is why I removed the ski pass and factory sub enclosure. You can easily make a mess grill covered in grill cloth to cover the opening of the ski pass....

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.