Decided to build another box lol

Participant count
  • Participant list

jeepdude95

IL
So i got a hand me down sub a couple days ago (my buddy upgraded to a sa12) and decided to build a box for all three lol. So now i have 2 batteries, one 140a gm alternator, one stock 90a alternator, big three, 1/0g wire, 3 pa gothic 12s wired at 2.6ohms, a hifonics bre2500.1d (yes, i know its junk), and a box that i designed and built at 7.6cft, tuned at 33htz with 13.8sqin of port area per foot. It has a triple baffle, and 2 center supports of 3" dowel rod. All in the rear trunk space of my 95 jeep xj. Just making this post for the hell of it. I think it turnout out pretty good. So, how does it look?

I think you should have used more screws to hold it together //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crazy.gif.c13912c32de98515d3142759a824dae7.gif
i would but i ran out hahahahaha. I dont have a brad gun so i just use a whole bunch of screws and glue lol

Buddy's jeep patriot lost 50% of all output firing up vs back with his T line, port is about 1 foot away from the roof. Is it too far from the roof or is it just a T line thing?
I did notice a slight difference When I had mine facing up, towards ceiling, then flipped it over, facing tailgate. Sounded much better facing tailgate. But then again, my 15's were in the way testing it so It's tough to see if it would "sound better again" if against the back seat.

Buddy's jeep patriot lost 50% of all output firing up vs back with his T line, port is about 1 foot away from the roof. Is it too far from the roof or is it just a T line thing?
Mine did very poorly once you crowded the subs too close to the roof. Did better 3 12s just a couple inches above the seat backs than 4 12s with the extra height to add 3 cube airspace.

IMAG0060.jpg

This one was my loudest (pre-wall)

This one was the best sounding (firing up) and only a few tenths difference between firing up and side firing ports from my testing. I used to build a new box every week or two when I was competing in non-wall class. The ones that didn't work I'd often blow up the subs and throw the box in the dumpster at a show.

DSC01783.jpg

This one was rather sad.... regret selling the sub. Prototype Shocker/4hp

DSC06939.jpg

Ditto, this one, (port to the side) wasn't so great:

DSC01234.jpg

And another failure

DSC00206.jpg

I did one with a pair of 18s subs firing one to each side and port firing up that worked surprisingly well. Can't find pics though.

i would but i ran out hahahahaha. I dont have a brad gun so i just use a whole bunch of screws and glue lol
inside of box looks great which is all that really matters, long as it sounds good.. u did use alot of screws even for me and i add screws to every box i've ever had.. are u gonna get other subs that'll work in that box or keep what u have?

inside of box looks great which is all that really matters, long as it sounds good.. u did use alot of screws even for me and i add screws to every box i've ever had.. are u gonna get other subs that'll work in that box or keep what u have?
Im thinking when tax time rolls around im gonna get a few sundown sa12s and im currently eyeballing a used dc 5k

Im thinking when tax time rolls around im gonna get a few sundown sa12s and im currently eyeballing a used dc 5k
how much is it? look at the big twisted sound amps on ssa.com some guys may recommend u look at taramps.. i'm not really rec'ing them but soundqubed 312's are on sale right now pretty cheap 1200rms

Mine did very poorly once you crowded the subs too close to the roof. Did better 3 12s just a couple inches above the seat backs than 4 12s with the extra height to add 3 cube airspace.
IMAG0060.jpg

This one was my loudest (pre-wall)

This one was the best sounding (firing up) and only a few tenths difference between firing up and side firing ports from my testing. I used to build a new box every week or two when I was competing in non-wall class. The ones that didn't work I'd often blow up the subs and throw the box in the dumpster at a show.

DSC01783.jpg

This one was rather sad.... regret selling the sub. Prototype Shocker/4hp

DSC06939.jpg

Ditto, this one, (port to the side) wasn't so great:

DSC01234.jpg

And another failure

DSC00206.jpg

I did one with a pair of 18s subs firing one to each side and port firing up that worked surprisingly well. Can't find pics though.
To maximize the transfer function you want to keep the same shape as the cabin. The single 18 with the offset box/port definitely has the best coupling.

Keep the height low go wide as you can and stay 4" away from the hatch..

To maximize the transfer function you want to keep the same shape as the cabin. The single 18 with the offset box/port definitely has the best coupling. Keep the height low go wide as you can and stay 4" away from the hatch..

That was a single 15 and I tested every possible position of the box and port. Built that one the day before a show, added some length to the port with some PVC and duct tape to lower tuning a little won a couple trophies then threw it away. I could heat the house half a winter with all the wood I've thrown away in old boxes.

I did a handful of other single sub with port to the side for various size woofers and all worked quite well for daily then gained a little for the meter angling the port to the passenger side corner.

how much is it? look at the big twisted sound amps on ssa.com some guys may recommend u look at taramps.. i'm not really rec'ing them but soundqubed 312's are on sale right now pretty cheap 1200rms
The local guy that has it only wants 200 bucks for it. Seems like a pretty good deal and he can verify the function of it so i think im gonna snag it up

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.