Decent 10" sub for $100?

Well if it turns out not to be perfect for me, I'm sure one of my buddies will scoop it up fast. "**** yo, that shi* be droppin dude!", you know, that kinda stuff. Besides...I may just go for a ported box anyways. My box requirement was only because I have a .75 cu.ft. box that my nephew gave me along with a little Jensen X1010 sub. The sub looked bad with a TON of sharpie scribbling all over the cone, surround and dustcap. I cleaned it off the best I could, then had at it with a few coats of matte black plasti-dip. Its funny because it now looks like a factory black finish! I figured that it was a free $30 sub and that a few coats of plasti-dip couldn't hurt it much. I have yet to fire this up with a severely turned down 500watt Kenwood amp and see if it is somewhat....ok?

dont listen them, i have a sealed skar vvx, ask them if they have seen or heard skar on sealed? I am talking thru experience and read between the lines of skar haters they could not tell anything bad about the sub just the owner, I know a lot of people run skar and i have not met anybody that had a problem with them.

I still believe you bought the right sub.

dont listen them, i have a sealed skar vvx, ask them if they have seen or heard skar on sealed? I am talking thru experience and read between the lines of skar haters they could not tell anything bad about the sub just the owner, I know a lot of people run skar and i have not met anybody that had a problem with them.
I still believe you bought the right sub.
I have yet to be satisfied with most sealed 10s unless they had gobs of power thrown at them. For example, the Fi-Q and the Morel Ultimo 10 with 1000 watts RMS on tap was came pretty close to meeting my needs for low frequency extension from a sealed 10.

Of course, the Skar vvx may work for the OP since its FS is lower than the typical 40 to 50 Hz FS spec seen in most SPL oriented subwoofers. I personally would have recommended a ported 8" sub over a sealed 10 with the OP's available power, but that's just me.

I'm in the process of building a ported box for the sub. They had no good void-less birch at Home Depot, so I just went with plain old 3/4" MDF. I took a print out of the design with all cuts drawn with dimensions using SketchUp and the Home Depot guy made all the cuts perfectly. All except for 1 edge that needs to be trimmed down about 1/8". I'll just use my sander for that. Weather went sour today (MDF in the rain = RAAAAGE) so sometime next week I'll finish up the box. My VVX-10D2 won't be in until next Thursday or Friday anyways.

I'm also awaiting my KnuKonceptz 4ga. wiring kit, which should arrive either Monday or Tuesday.

Got the Skar VVX-10D2 in today and installed it with the Kenwood 500watt RMS amp. After everything was tuned (gain set with a DMM and LP cutoff set to 85hz), this 10" sub seriously hits! A hell of alot better than my 5 year old Pioneer Premere 12" sub with the Kenwood 300watt RMS amp I had in my '90 Maxima. The VVX-10 is in a 1.4 cu.ft. box tuned to 32hz with both the sub and port facing upwards. When I sit in the drivers seat of my 2012 Scion XB and I turn the volume up I can feel the woosh of air from the port! Thats 4 friggin feet away! Absolutely amazing 10" sub for the money.

Now to dampen the hell out of that hatch before it falls off! ^_^

those pioneers have limited frequency response from my experience with the 12" version. basically tried 3 boxes and 3 tunings and it only does well within the 30-45 hz rating and has litterally minimal output in the 60-100 hz which is kinda crucial in some rock, electro and other genres. they also require more power to get moving. i had to get mines overpowered by 200 rms in order to get some good thumping volume, it hits the lows with authority! but if your underpowering it, i'm pretty sure your not goint to be too happy with it because its not efficient with power.

In the amount of boxes i've tried, The pioneer sounded the worst in a sealed box. A big ported box highly tuned would get you better sound with these subs, they are really weird and picky subs that need to be in a certain setup to sound good, more trouble than its worth imho.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.