DC current on speaker outputs... what causes it?

Participant count
  • Participant list

vehementSPL
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
indianapolis
Like the article says. I am far from an electronics expert and I have gotten a whiff of what I am starting to believe that could be a myth. What causes DC current through speaker outputs on amplifiers... Is it solely clipping the signal... Or do some amps naturally have high DC current levels on the speak output(that is the item I am questioning) If somebody could explain The possible ways of having DC amperage coming out the speaker outputs. That would be wonderful. Also how is a/c amperage not as bad..... thanks for help

there are two notes --

DC is the average value. normally over the entire signal, but for practical use it is just the average over some "long enough" time.

the real part of the "clipping is DC" vs "clipping is AC" is based on what "long enough" means. if you look only at select parts of the wave, yes, it would be DC.

it seems unreasonable to look at less than one cycle to determine this -- after all, the speaker can play 20hz, so 1/20th of a second isn't called "DC". If one full cycle is considered, then clipping will have little to no "DC" component. This makes sense because the wave spends as much time above zero as below zero. (and equal magnitude). the DC component will be based on some difference in high vs low time or high vs low magnitude.

amplifiers can output DC, and some designs can do so more than others. but commercial grade amplifiers will typically be designed for a low DC offset. either from design, or from production tuning. amplifiers without feedback -- that don't compare the actual output to the desired output and attempt to correct -- will generally have higher DC offsets.

The real DC output case is when an amplifier blows. in that case, a LARGE DC offset is applied. (if not otherwise prevented).

DC isn't good for speakers, though at low power its ok. the speaker has the minimum amount of impedance at DC, and all power is real power. further, a DC-only signal means the speaker is held out or in, and is not moving. in that case, any forced-air cooling will not function. even in cases of some AC signal moving the cone, the speaker is still needing to dissipate more power for a given amount of movement.

ok... But i am talking about when you put a clamp on amp meter on the speaker output and switch it to dc amperage it will read. Some people are using this reading to determine how hard that particular amplifier is on speakers. I wondered if this was an accurate way to tell. Or if pretty much all amps DC amperage caused by clipping the signal

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.