DB meter reading up to 160

im 23 been into car audio only maybe year and half but man im egging hard wanting to go to some comps but i want to be on my game!! just still learning but i really wanna compete and i hate how i never know my numbers people brag and a lot of times im thinking i have had to been in the 145 range or so at least at some point but i sound like an idiot without knowing :/
Ive had some really awesome systems over the years,and have always been curious to just what im am really able to achieve from what I have/had.Its been alot of fun, and very addictive! Friends were out getting wasted, and Id buy a 6pck at the most there for a while, and spend most of my funds on another amp/speakers/HU ect.I still enjoy it, and seems that the older you become the more SQ you would like to be along with SPL.Im just curious.Thought maybe there was a black market for a windows download out there??Guess Ill just have to learn to be a bit more patient

Nope. Cheapest you'll get is that "Make it Louder" SPL meter that uses a DMM.
This is a very accurate sensor... as accurate as your DMM. Also if you have a good sound card you could obtain a copy of TrueRTA and calibrate that to display what that sensor reads. The microphone style sensors can be had for reasonable, but they max out around 130-140 and are typically used for home theater RTA (where reference level is only 120dB). Good for response curves and testing crossover points and such, but not so useful for high power.

IMO you don't "need" a termlab to compete, or "need" a sensor that's accurate to 1/100th of the TL reading, you just need a sensor that's accurate with itself so that you can see your peak frequency and accurately test small gains and losses in your testing.

I'd also vouch for SPL Lab meter. I've owned that, Makeitlouder, and Termlab. All are accurate, I find SPL Lab (wireless) is just really convenient, easy to use, and much nicer software package than termlab. Makeitlouder sensor is great, but you need an accurate DMM for it to be much use, and sadly the soundcards in my laptops aren't clean enough to allow me to integrate into a good RTA package.

yeah my most recent was 4 type rs but of course i have no idea of TRUE wattafe to them or TRUE dbs but i GUESS bout 700 rms to each and maybe a 143-146?

but whos knows ***** i want the equipment and its very addictive but cost more than a cocain habbit

Nope. Cheapest you'll get is that "Make it Louder" SPL meter that uses a DMM.
yeah my most recent was 4 type rs but of course i have no idea of TRUE wattafe to them or TRUE dbs but i GUESS bout 700 rms to each and maybe a 143-146?

but whos knows ***** i want the equipment and its very addictive but cost more than a cocain habbit
The difference is if you blow say 450 on a used Termlab, you will be able to sell it a year later for that, give or take 10% (same holds true with most audio equipment worth owning provided you take reasonable care of it).

The difference is if you blow say 450 on a used Termlab, you will be able to sell it a year later for that, give or take 10% (same holds true with most audio equipment worth owning provided you take reasonable care of it).
id agree but not on subs in my opinion they devalue in my eyes a TON after use by anyone i dont know or anything speaker i should say

Well, at least I do know that one does exist to the general public for a small fee..//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/eyebrow.gif.fe2c18d8720fe8c7eaed347b21ea05a5.gif

yeah dude i went to radioshack the other day someone told me they sell them there ha it only went to 130 i was asking for 160 guy goes thats like sitting right behind a jet engine...like im stupid..i go i know sit in my car....not too far off i hope lol!
but the cell phone mic cant come close only measures ot like 110 or so i read i think..and ive learned there is no cheap way...i know my local audioshop has their own way cuz they used to host a lot of comps and they charge a small fee for their time to do it
Do you honestly think you're even over a 140? maybe a 145?

LOL the guy at radioshack probably was laughing at you hahahahahah!

Our brains are the worst judge of SPL. We can tell when something is louder, but not by how much louder. Get the Radio Shack SPL meter and see if you can max that out first.

Well, at least I do know that one does exist to the general public for a small fee..//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/eyebrow.gif.fe2c18d8720fe8c7eaed347b21ea05a5.gif
Price is relative to how you value it. Most pick one up for testing and tuning their own car and/or friends. Some post up adds on craigslist and such offering to meter people's car for a small fee to help regain some of the lost cash.

Price is relative to how you value it. Most pick one up for testing and tuning their own car and/or friends. Some post up adds on craigslist and such offering to meter people's car for a small fee to help regain some of the lost cash.
Understandable,and as a given..A way to retrieve funds spent:)

Do you honestly think you're even over a 140? maybe a 145?LOL the guy at radioshack probably was laughing at you hahahahahah![/quote

No, not too sure, but it is what it is..and felt great that everyone coming out to see my system,and calling it Crazy/sick??I guess that means good??With alot of help and communication from several others on here,I felt justified for once in quite some time.I thank those for all your opinions, and help to be where Im at with my system.Im enjoying it at the moment..I will be getting my PLAIN Jane Box by Sat for the four subs,and will be relieved for a change.It has been approx 5yrs since having 4 subs, and a decent sound stage since ,and enjoying the feedback, but most of all the sound Im receiving that ive missed/not been happy with for such a long time.Box is Plain Jane straight up ported 2.0cu ft ported @30 hz per seperate chamber is what supposed to be built.for 4 1000rms 10s.We will see Sat morn, and put to test Sat evening,Will be wrapped though.I dont have the means or right tools /program to tune, but, hopefully it will be just fine.Im not going for looks/routered /angled/ customized..PLAIN JANE nothing more..be the same pretty much regardless .Should be just fine for my needs:)

ive been into car audio for about 2 1/2 or 3 yrs now. i started off and my first comp(i knew absolutely nothing)was a MECA comp, i did 138.6 with 2 audiobahn 15s a sealed box, and a little sony explode amp that was suppose to be like 500rms(seemed like about 900 or 1k honestly)... im not a hardcore hit every show competitor( gas is to high i drive a blazer)... but so far to date my highest scores have been 146.5/@kick panel, 145.9/@dash, 145.5/@Headrest, 127.9/outside, 152.0/@port entry. these are all music averges not burps. the only burp ive dont is a dash burp, i did a 145.8 legal/sealed. i dont brag because i kno these are not killer scores. but seeing its my daily system and i only have $775 in my system im happy with my scores.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.