Damage speakers by gain?

AMP = Audiobahn A6004T Intake series A/B Mosfet amplifier. 75 x 4 @ 4 ohms.

First off I can tell when distortion comes up, it is obvious. I like to listen to clear music, NOT just loud music. I actually will probably get nowhere near full volume when it is all setup, I'm just trying to be safe.

Now, Is there a rule of thumb for speaker handling when it comes to response?

Such as, if my speaker can handle 30hZ to 35,000hZ, at full RMS, would I be smart to set the floor response to about 60hZ and the ceiling at about 30,000 hZ?

And for the crossover, it says that I can set for 0dB, -3dB, and -6dB. 0db has been described as safe for testing audio equipment, so would it be wise to set to 0dB?

OK. I know people are going to bash me for this, but if you reduce the frequency response range, it will mean less overall quality and the sound will not be as clear, and since you say that you prefer clear music over loud music, my best advice is to keep the frequency response at its full range. Also, at best, the human ear can hear sounds between 20Hz and 20kHz, so if you are going to adjust the frequency response, put the top end no higher than 20kHz and keep the low end at 30Hz. I am also good at detecting distortion, and I also prefer clear music. A frequency response between 20Hz and 20kHz is optimal, since the human ear cannot hear anything outside that range.

OK. I know people are going to bash me for this, but if you reduce the frequency response range, it will mean less overall quality and the sound will not be as clear, and since you say that you prefer clear music over loud music, my best advice is to keep the frequency response at its full range.
no one said not too? the only thing i would do is turn up the high pass if the his speakers are distorting with the lower bass. most coaxials cant reproduce freq's less than 60 or 80 hz very well.

AMP = Audiobahn A6004T Intake series A/B Mosfet amplifier. 75 x 4 @ 4 ohms.
First off I can tell when distortion comes up, it is obvious. I like to listen to clear music, NOT just loud music. I actually will probably get nowhere near full volume when it is all setup, I'm just trying to be safe.

Now, Is there a rule of thumb for speaker handling when it comes to response?

Such as, if my speaker can handle 30hZ to 35,000hZ, at full RMS, would I be smart to set the floor response to about 60hZ and the ceiling at about 30,000 hZ?

And for the crossover, it says that I can set for 0dB, -3dB, and -6dB. 0db has been described as safe for testing audio equipment, so would it be wise to set to 0dB?
lol. The human range of hearing only goes up to 20 khz for the average person. Unless your making this system for your dog I'd say 30 khz is just one of their marketing gimmicks.

And most likely you will only be using a highpass filter for the speakers. The type of filtering you describe is bandpass. Very unlikely you will need to set a bandpass filter unless you plan on running an active setup.

your crossovers should go up to at least 12db, that means each octave lower then the frequency which you crossed it at will be 12db's lower, and so on. thats how low and high pass filters work.

Joker, 30kHz is not a marketing gimmick. It is just the uppermost limit of a tweeter or a supertweeter on most speakers. Most speakers are rated for 30Hz to 30kHz. Since the sound in cars is reflected all over the interior of the car, most mid-range and high-range sounds will be somewhat distorted by those reflections, so even with the best equipment, the frequency range that is audible within an automobile is less than the full audible range of the human ear. External noises like wind and road noise will also reduce the audible range of the sounds heard inside the vehicle. The full 30Hz to 30kHz range would only become apparent in an anechoic chamber. For this reason, I would recommend listening to it with and without a high-pass filter and deciding then which sounds better.

Joker, 30kHz is not a marketing gimmick. It is just the uppermost limit of a tweeter or a supertweeter on most speakers. Most speakers are rated for 30Hz to 30kHz. Since the sound in cars is reflected all over the interior of the car, most mid-range and high-range sounds will be somewhat distorted by those reflections, so even with the best equipment, the frequency range that is audible within an automobile is less than the full audible range of the human ear.
You lost me. 30 khz is not audible by humans, but once it gets reflected all over the car it can be heard? Please elaborate. And how would these inaudible frequencies be recorded on the track in the first place? If its not a marketing gimmick what would be the point of advertising something that is completely useless?

Joker, no, I am not saying that. What I am saying is this: The 30kHz signal is inaudible to humans, since the human ear can only hear sounds as high as 20kHz, but even that number is reduced by interference such as wind, road noise, and the way sound reflects inside a car. Most cars have a quiet ride, but they still get some wind noise, especially at highway speeds, and the sounds of the engine also take away from the full range of the sound inside the car. Even under optimal conditions, you would only be able to hear sounds between 30Hz and 15kHz inside a vehicle because of all the external interference. Custom "performance tuned" exhaust kits are not as quiet as factory-installed ones, so that adds to the noise inside the vehicle, further reducing the audible range of music. It is not necessarily the audible range that is being affected; actually, the signal-to-noise ratio is what is affected. Under optimal conditions, you will see at best 120dB signal to noise ratio, but because of all the external interference I just mentioned, you may only see a signal-to-noise ratio of 96dB or less. Based on my own personal experiences with computer audio equipment, I can say this: More often than not, the lower the signal-to-noise ratio, the lower the overall frequency response, though I know that is not always the case. Even though a speaker may be outputting 30Hz to 30kHz with a 120dB signal-to-noise ratio, inside an automobile, you would only get about 45Hz to 16kHz at 96dB signal-to-noise ratio or less, primarily dependant on the amount of noise that is entering the cabin of the automobile. The only time you will actually get the full 30Hz to 30kHz range with 120dB signal-to-noise ratio is inside an anechoic chamber, which is where they test all of the audio equipment to come up with the numbers they do.

Joker, no, I am not saying that. What I am saying is this: The 30kHz signal is inaudible to humans, since the human ear can only hear sounds as high as 20kHz, but even that number is reduced by interference such as wind, road noise, and the way sound reflects inside a car. Most cars have a quiet ride, but they still get some wind noise, especially at highway speeds, and the sounds of the engine also take away from the full range of the sound inside the car. Even under optimal conditions, you would only be able to hear sounds between 30Hz and 15kHz inside a vehicle because of all the external interference. Custom "performance tuned" exhaust kits are not as quiet as factory-installed ones, so that adds to the noise inside the vehicle, further reducing the audible range of music. It is not necessarily the audible range that is being affected; actually, the signal-to-noise ratio is what is affected. Under optimal conditions, you will see at best 120dB signal to noise ratio, but because of all the external interference I just mentioned, you may only see a signal-to-noise ratio of 96dB or less. Based on my own personal experiences with computer audio equipment, I can say this: More often than not, the lower the signal-to-noise ratio, the lower the overall frequency response, though I know that is not always the case.
wtf man. I am calling bs. You are trying to tell me that road noise alters the frequency of a 30 khz tone to make it audible? Are you fvcking high or something?

After rereading your post it seems like you are confusing frequency with the actual loudness of the music. You claim that loud exhaust will reduce your ears range of hearing. Seriously go have a slumber party at the library and then come back and post what you learned.

Joker, you still do not understand...I am saying road noise and other external noises mute out the audible sounds. The road noise "cancels out" the 30kHz signal, is basically what I am trying to say. Road noise, wind noise, and engine/exhaust noise, when they enter the cabin of an automobile, act to "mute out" at least some of the audible noises inside the automobile. What I am trying to say is this: Unless you are extremely good at "tuning out" distractions, then external noises entering the cabin of the car will make it harder to hear the music that is playing inside the car.

Is this easier to understand?

Pioneer HU, set your gains @ volume 61/62 with ALL processing off!
Have you tested the pre-outs with an oscope to make sure there is no clipping at volume 61/62? I would tend to suggest a lower number, to avoid pre out clipping and to be able to get full volume out of downloaded tracks that may have had a lower recording volume.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.